What to Buy and Towing Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Looks like that would work, numbers wise. 12% tongue weight will probably tow better, less than 10% and you will get rhythmic sway. But looks like there is wiggle room there to add a little tongue weight.
If you have to use an extended hitch, it acts as a lever and it will be as if the tongue weight is greater. So maybe consider how you will deal with that and if it will still meet your requirements. I believe there is a formula to figure that out based on length of the extension, but I don't know it. Probably can find it with a Google search.

Papamugger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you are going to have some major issues getting a hitch setup with the Lance installed on the truck.

Svon89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My only suggestion is do not buy using friends and family offers you see. If you ever have a problem, the legal language in the friends and family form basically locks you into binding are it ration rather than being able to use your state lemon laws without some serious help from a lawyer.

OP
OP
Z

ZombieClownZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I think you are going to have some major issues getting a hitch setup with the Lance installed on the truck.
Even with an a hitch extender? I mean i have seen the setup im looking for before, so it has to be possible somehow.

OP
OP
Z

ZombieClownZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My only suggestion is do not buy using friends and family offers you see. If you ever have a problem, the legal language in the friends and family form basically locks you into binding are it ration rather than being able to use your state lemon laws without some serious help from a lawyer.

I was unaware of that, thank you for the tip. I will be sure not to use an F&F deals.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Even with an a hitch extender? I mean i have seen the setup im looking for before, so it has to be possible somehow.
The hitch extender drops the available tongue weight capacity.

It most definitely is possible. Just have to do it all with the right capacities.

Unfortunately, alot is being asked to hit both the camper and the trailer.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My step-son had the 1" to 2" (or 1.25" whatever that smaller one is) adapter and it said right on the adapter that it reduced tow capacity by 50%.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Why not just flat tow the Jeep. Some of them, like the Jeep Gladiator, can be flat towed. This way you eliminate most of the weight on the hitch other than hitch itself and a little bit of weight from the tow bar.

OP
OP
Z

ZombieClownZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Why not just flat tow the Jeep. Some of them, like the Jeep Gladiator, can be flat towed. This way you eliminate most of the weight on the hitch other than hitch itself and a little bit of weight from the tow bar.

The reason I don't want to flat tow is because I do a lot of rock crawling and I want to be able to get the Jeep home if I break something that prevents a flat tow.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
@ZombieClownZ do you currently tow this jeep now?

Are you looking at getting a new truck and new bed camper and a new car/equipment trailer?

I just want to clear up the conversation.

You need to know the capacities of the truck trailer and hitching equipment.

The extendable hitch may make your tongue weight capacity to low for the trailer.

You may need to get a camper without an overhang.

You may need to get a lighter trailer.

You are already looking at the max truck you can get.

What you want to do is complicated to get all the puzzle pieces to work out.

This weekend I saw some very shady tow setups. One guy had a 5000lb hitch (your typical joe homeowner 2 inch ball type) towing a camper that should have had weight distribution hitch and bars hooked up. I would be curious to know if he had the right size ball...he is ine bump or one panic stop away from realizing his mistake...but sure the ford pulls it like a dream.

OP
OP
Z

ZombieClownZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The hitch extender drops the available tongue weight capacity.

It most definitely is possible. Just have to do it all with the right capacities.

Unfortunately, alot is being asked to hit both the camper and the trailer.

This is all really good info that I wasn't aware of. But going back to the stats that I found on the sheet (reposting pic for ease of reference).

Ram Forum 1.png

Max. Trailer Weight Rating = 22010, and say hitch weight would be 2200 at that point.

With hitch extension, which reduces by 50%, I would be at Max Trailer Weight Rating of 11000, and hitch weight would be 1100.

I think I still might be ok. As it stands now, if I get an aluminum trailer, I will be at around 7500 +/- for trailer and Jeep. I do want to account for growth though, so maybe I get up to 10000lbs total trailer + towed vehicle weight. I still think I'm doing ok.

Please correct me if my logic and or math or wrong.

OP
OP
Z

ZombieClownZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
@ZombieClownZ do you currently tow this jeep now? I do not currently tow the Jeep now. But that is the main goal of this whole process. Currently we tow a travel trailer with my Jeep. I want to get away from that because if I break the Jeep, then I have to figure out how to get the trailer and the Jeep home. An alternative to this setup is something like the Sundowner Krawler Hauler. But that leaves us a lot less flexible on where we can go with that setup.

Are you looking at getting a new truck and new bed camper and a new car/equipment trailer? Yes, I plan to custom order the truck, and then will see if I can find a used camper shell and tow trailer.

I just want to clear up the conversation.

You need to know the capacities of the truck trailer and hitching equipment.

The extendable hitch may make your tongue weight capacity to low for the trailer.

You may need to get a camper without an overhang.

You may need to get a lighter trailer.

You are already looking at the max truck you can get.

What you want to do is complicated to get all the puzzle pieces to work out.

This weekend I saw some very shady tow setups. One guy had a 5000lb hitch (your typical joe homeowner 2 inch ball type) towing a camper that should have had weight distribution hitch and bars hooked up. I would be curious to know if he had the right size ball...he is ine bump or one panic stop away from realizing his mistake...but sure the ford pulls it like a dream.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Logic and math are good. But at 10000lbs you will really have to watch your tongue weight. 10% will be 1000lbs...but 12% will be 1200 and your over.

A hitch extender doesnt always just drop it by 50% but rather has a limit of its own.

And remember the tongue weight lowers the amount of camper you can slide in the bed.

Gotta love the numbers lol

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
ike a Lance 1172 on and a tow trailer with vehicle, totaling 12000lbs behind the truck (it’s more likely to be 9-10,000lbs but let’s be safe with 12). The camper I’m hoping to get is a big one, sitting around 4174lbs dry

I totally missed the 4174lbs weight of the camper. I read camper shell and thought of a cap...my bad.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The reason I don't want to flat tow is because I do a lot of rock crawling and I want to be able to get the Jeep home if I break something that prevents a flat tow.
Ahhhh, that makes sense. Maybe it would make sense to buy a diesel pusher motorhome and get more room for living at those locations. We have had a blast in our past motorhomes. Whatever you do, good luck and wish I was doing the same!

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Ahhhh, that makes sense. Maybe it would make sense to buy a diesel pusher motorhome and get more room for living at those locations. We have had a blast in our past motorhomes. Whatever you do, good luck and wish I was doing the same!
Going to have to be a big one to tow a 12k lb or even 10k lb trailer

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

If by "major" you mean spending $400 on a stinger extension from the hitch receiver so it extends out an additional 18-24 inches from under the Lance camper then you are correct. I do not consider that "major" at all. Why are you trying to mislead the OP?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Using an extension will lower your tongue weight capacity. It acts like a lever and puts more stress on the hitch. So if you had 1000lb tongue weight capacity you will now only have 500lbs.I don't think an extender will work for that heavy of a load.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Torklift makes a "SuperTruss" extension for use to tow a heavy trailer. It requires the use of a SuperHitch which is much stronger than a OEM hitch. The SuperTruss Extension is available in eight lengths from 21" to 60" and works exclusively with the SuperHitch or SuperHitch Magnum. It's rated to safely tow up to 14,000 lbs and 1,400 lbs tongue weight on a 21" extension and 12,000 lbs and 1,200 lbs tongue weight on a 48" extension.

Just in case someone is interested in facts instead of opinions.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Torklift makes a "SuperTruss" extension for use to tow a heavy trailer. It requires the use of a SuperHitch which is much stronger than a OEM hitch. The SuperTruss Extension is available in eight lengths from 21" to 60" and works exclusively with the SuperHitch or SuperHitch Magnum. It's rated to safely tow up to 14,000 lbs and 1,400 lbs tongue weight on a 21" extension and 12,000 lbs and 1,200 lbs tongue weight on a 48" extension.

Just in case someone is interested in facts instead of opinions.
That's an interesting setup. A standard extension won't work but that Torklift thing may work but I think the OP is going to be overweight either way here

Last edited: