What to check for mysterious clatter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Trying to figure out the source of a metallic clinking/clatter coming from the passenger side of the engine. It's hard to tell where it's coming from, but has been there since I bought the truck.

It's a noise that was in the background of all of the other noises I've addressed. I hadn't noticed it still being there until being away from it for a few days.

Replaced the AC compressor and that got rid of the high pitched screereeereeereeereee sound. I was hoping that was also compressor related but it wasn't.
Adjusted the valves and put on the new airbox and this noise is now standing out to me.

It's a very "poker chip" sounding noise. Regularly irregular if that makes any sense. Like someone randomly tapping on a sack full of poker chips with a drumstick. It's not the clatter of the valves. It actually sounds like its coming from the turbo, but it's hard to tell. When I put on the new air intake I checked and the impeller was nice and tight bearing wise. A quick function check verified the brand new AC compressor was still good and not the source.

I didn't notice it this weekend because I had the windows rolled up or was in big open parking lots. Today I was in my driveway and the house next door is 6 feet away and I had my windows down so the sound was reflecting off the house reminding me my work was not quite done. If you bend down by the front passenger side wheel you hear it loud and clear, except I can't tell where its coming from.

I do have an automotive stethoscope and have some time this weekend. I'll be hunting this down, but if anyone has a suggestion where to look, please post up.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was going to suggest the automotive stethoscope
If you have a cut off broom handle or any length of wood, hold the wood against different possible sources, place your fingers at the end of the wood & use your index finger & your thumb against your ear to protect it, just in case.
It works like a crude stethoscope :)

Good Luck

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yeah thanks, I know that trick. :)

Noises that shouldn't be there drive me insane. Supposed to rain here until Saturday so it will have to wait until then.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you tried putting the stock intake back on to see if you still hear it?

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I don't have a stock intake. The truck came with a snorkel style intake that was loud as heck. The whistling drowned out a lot of noise, but this particular noise was always there under the whine of the turbo.
I replaced that snorkel with a Volant because it was the closest thing to a stock intake I could find. I bought stock intake that had come off an 06 I thought would fit, but I couldn't get it in there. The Volant is very quiet.

This sounds like it's coming from outside of the engine, but a Cummins isn't quiet to begin with so it's hard to make out exactly where it's coming from.

I'll do my homework this weekend and track it down. After this it will just be the whir of the accessories and sound of the valves.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok I just went out prepared with my stethoscope and a full belly, ready to track down the noise.
Nothing. Just the sweet sound of engine.

The only thing I can think of is last time, it had been sitting a few days without the battery charger on it, and this time it's been plugged in since Tuesday. It's also a little cooler today, 80 instead of 90, but I have a hard time thinking that 10 degrees would make any difference. Maybe if it was 30-40.

Hoping this is not an issue with the alternator. I listened to it with the stethoscope and didn't hear anything bad as it spun. I poked around with it and heard no clatter or "tinking".

I hate these transient noises that come and go, but damn the engine sounds great when that noise isn't there harshing its mellow.

Guess this problem goes to the bottom of the stack.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So, went to Costco the other day before I changed my oil and when I got back and opened the gate to my back yard, I could hear the clackclackclackclack was back. Pulled it in back and grabbed my stethoscope and sure enough, it was the alternator????? It was loudest when touching the tip to the alternator housing, but it was also loud at the block/mount. I checked other accessories, and tensioners. It was the alternator. Don't know how it could be making so much noise and still work. It works fine though.
On the block side, what's on the other side of the alternator mount?

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Pull of the belt and start it up just long enough to see if the noise goes away without the belt.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yeah... I'll have to eventually, but after my oil change, the noise was gone, again. This comes and goes. It's aggravating, but that seems all it is.

Maybe it's one of the fan blades at the pulley hitting a protrusion. I'll take a look after work tomorrow. Next time it happens I'll get the wife to work the gas while I investigate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963