What to look for on a bad 65RFE valve body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great info as usual. These aint plug and play, damn. So what happens if you don't do quick learn?
I’m gonna take it to the dealer to have a quicklearn done if needed, what happens if it’s not done?

Sent from Blue Onyx
Not exactly sure what it does but as I understand it the quicklearn is the process that the PCM uses to determine how much pressure it takes to fully engage each clutch. It takes account for clutch wear and internal wear. Basically the PCM learns how to shift the trans without being too soft/hard.

If you don't do it, the PCM will eventually learn but the shifts will be harsh until the PCM learns how to shift properly. I've read it can throw codes and cause it to go into limp mode...

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a 8 speed i expect you to not have transmission issues as they’re built amazingly well.

The 6 speed, not so much. If you don’t maintain them down to a T they ruin themselves. They hate themselves to put it that way.

My Ram is a '15 with the 6 speed and I am the first owner. It's been reliable so far. I acknowledge the 8 speed is a better piece of hardware but like popeye said ya push with the **** ya got :D

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it's worth, my other 4wd is a Jeep Patriot and the JSCAN app allows me to "reset EGS" which clears adaptations and initializes the quick learn procedure. It seems likely the same function is present on Rams in JSCAN. It does take a compatible OBD2 adapter. I am using an OBDLink MX+ .

I have not paired Jscan with my Ram yet but it's compatible, just haven't felt like spending the $22 to marry them when I have no tasks I want to perform.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Not exactly sure what it does but as I understand it the quicklearn is the process that the PCM uses to determine how much pressure it takes to fully engage each clutch. It takes account for clutch wear and internal wear. Basically the PCM learns how to shift the trans without being too soft/hard.

If you don't do it, the PCM will eventually learn but the shifts will be harsh until the PCM learns how to shift properly. I've read it can throw codes and cause it to go into limp mode...

I’m perfectly fine with it being harsh the first few times, as long as it’s engaging the gears how it’s supposed to and not slipping. I’m still gonna do a quicklearn, or see if disconnecting the battery will work, but either way, i don’t mind. I’m fond of “harsh” shifts anyways.

Sent from Blue Onyx

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m perfectly fine with it being harsh the first few times, as long as it’s engaging the gears how it’s supposed to and not slipping. I’m still gonna do a quicklearn, or see if disconnecting the battery will work, but either way, i don’t mind. I’m fond of “harsh” shifts anyways.

Sent from Blue Onyx
Yeah its fine to drive sparingly but I wouldn't drive it much until you get the quicklearn done...

bigdodge

Reaction score
The quick learner isn't absolutely necessary.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My Ram is a '15 with the 6 speed and I am the first owner. It's been reliable so far. I acknowledge the 8 speed is a better piece of hardware but like popeye said ya push with the **** ya got :D

My 6 speed was amazing when new, i didn’t understand how people **** on it as badly as they did when the shifts at the time were firm, solid, and felt nice. Now, i understand. I’m happy yours is good though.

Sent from Blue Onyx

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I’ve been seeing more and more videos on people with my issues saying it’s normal and that it’s the TCM ordering the torque converter to unlock prior to a 4-5 shift and re-lock before the 5th gear shift, and that the issue with the 6-5 downshift is the same, the torque converter unlocking, bringing the engine RPMs up for a second and then locking back up and being fine.

If this is “normal”, Chrysler really doesn’t know how to program a 6 speed right.

Sent from Blue Onyx

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check if there are any recalls for your truck, or schedule your next oil change with at a Ram dealer ( I know they're more fun to DIY) They might have software updates for your truck - 3 of the times I took mine in for oil changes they had updates. They didn't seem to change anything for me but I wasn't having problems either so I didn't expect a change.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Check if there are any recalls for your truck, or schedule your next oil change with at a Ram dealer ( I know they're more fun to DIY) They might have software updates for your truck - 3 of the times I took mine in for oil changes they had updates. They didn't seem to change anything for me but I wasn't having problems either so I didn't expect a change.

The recalls have been done for a while, and i haven’t had it updated software wise since new, and i know these trucks have needed updates in the past but i never thought it effected mine. How much is an oil change through a RAM dealer? And what do they use?

Sent from Blue Onyx

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

I’ll take it to the dealer for the tranny relearn and an oil change once i replace the valve body then. I know somethings wrong with the VB or it wouldn’t click when it shifts

Sent from Blue Onyx

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know what every dealer charges but the last one I got was $49 and came with a wash. They used a mopar oil filter no idea specifically what oil, guessing they have a mopar house brand like their transmission oil made by one of the usual suspects.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I don't know what every dealer charges but the last one I got was $49 and came with a wash. They used a mopar oil filter no idea specifically what oil, guessing they have a mopar house brand like their transmission oil made by one of the usual suspects.

I got you. I need an oil change anyways, i have around 2600 miles on the oil right now.

Sent from Blue Onyx

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Great info as usual. These aint plug and play, damn. So what happens if you don't do quick learn?

I took off the solenoid pack from the vb and i found metal in both the holes in the SP and i found what looks like thick spring in the pan, and the accumulator plate is cracked (and bent) pretty badly. Half the spring is there, the other half is in the pan, i don’t know how this thing drove.

Sent from Blue Onyx

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Better yet, i had the urge to shake the valve body and it sounds like you put your hand over a red cup with a ball in it and shook it.

Sent from Blue Onyx

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Now i just have to wait to get the new valve body in...

Sent from Blue Onyx

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I took off the solenoid pack from the vb and i found metal in both the holes in the SP and i found what looks like thick spring in the pan, and the accumulator plate is cracked (and bent) pretty badly. Half the spring is there, the other half is in the pan, i don’t know how this thing drove.

Sent from Blue Onyx
Wow how did it even shift??[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Can you post some pics?

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

I have absolutely 0 idea, but it explains the 25MPH issue and the issue from 6th to 5th. On the good side, there’s no clutch debris on the magnet, so atleast it saved that? I just drove it earlier today to the parts store to get a new filter for the trans and it shifted ok but clicked badly as per usual.

Sent from Blue Onyx

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

Can you post some pics?

Yeah i can, i’ll do it later today once i know that the new part is coming in.

Sent from Blue Onyx

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I need your help now MAJORLY.

One of the screws in the valve body (one to the far right) broke off completely and the other part is stuck inside the transmission case, but it looks like there’s enough outside of the case for me to be able to drop the vb again and pull it out.

I know the truck will most likely work fine as all the other screws are tight, and the screw that broke isn’t in an important location, but i need to fix it to clear my head. Is this screw something you can buy at a parts store?

Sent from Blue Onyx