What to offer for a 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 4X4, Sport and Tow packages.
Congrats! Nice looking truck.

As for the add-ons it is illegal to make you pay for them (even if they already installed them). This violates federal (Sherman Anti-Trust Act) and state anti-trust laws which state that you can't make someone purchase a product on the premise that they have to purchase specific goods or services (aka dealer add-ons).

They will usually push back if you question it by saying that "it's already on the vehicle" but that's just a tactic. They are only doing what they are trained/told to do so they might not even know that it's illegal.

I just bought a couple of vehicles a month ago and was faced with the same thing. After a couple of back-and-forths I told the salesperson that I am more than happy to discuss the illegal practice with the sales manager and pursue this in court. They "discounted" the cost of the add-ons from the vehicle price to show that I purchased them. I told them whatever they want to do with their paperwork as long as it's the correct dollar amount on the bottom line. Seriously, $450 for the NitroFill program??!?!?!

If I had known that Saturday, I would've called them out on it. Good to know for next time. The only add on they were willing to remove was a $1300 digital license plate frame. Still scratching my head on who would want that for $1300.

The other add ons:
Star Guard - Satelite tracking. Similar to Lojack, but you don't have to pay a subscription fee. I've never had a vehicle stolen, but I'm in socal. So if it was stolen, it would likely be in Mexico after about 90 minutes. I know of people that have tracked their Jeep's to the border and the police wouldn't do a damn thing.

Pulsing Brake light - I think this was $700. IIRC, if you tap the brake, it's supposed to make the brake light flash for a certain time period. Um, so what?? Also not something I want to pay for.

Don't recall what else, but it made me walk out pissed. Also soured my opinion of that dealer which is pretty close to my house. Won't be using them for service. Bought a 2012 Jeep from them too.

The dealer I bought from: There is an alarm system supposedly installed on my truck. They offer it to you (I refused) so they deactivated it. Didn't even push it very hard.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
In the end if you are happy then you got a good deal.

I drove from San Diego to Cerritos (north of Disneyland) for my truck. I made some concessions to get the truck that day (I was not going to do another 6-hour round trip the next day) but was happy enough with the deal to drive it home.

Some paid more and some paid less (and I heard about it). In the end, though, I got the truck I wanted and loved it to the day I sold it. I never had a regret about what I paid for it.

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 4X4, Sport and Tow packages.
In the end if you are happy then you got a good deal.

I drove from San Diego to Cerritos (north of Disneyland) for my truck. I made some concessions to get the truck that day (I was not going to do another 6-hour round trip the next day) but was happy enough with the deal to drive it home.

Some paid more and some paid less (and I heard about it). In the end, though, I got the truck I wanted and loved it to the day I sold it. I never had a regret about what I paid for it.

Yup, familiar with Cerritos. Used to live in Downey and worked in that area for a bit.

I'm always willing to drive a bit for a vehicle. Was talking to someone in Lancaster. Also was very interested in a BTS edition in Dinuba (near Fresno), but my wife was resisting on driving me there. Might have been her motivation for going to Costa Mesa yesterday lol.

Got my Jeep in a trade from a guy in Missouri. We met up in Albuquerque, New Mexico, traded, and drove back. That was more special circumstances though.

onecooltech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 1500 BTS Hydro Blue
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ended up buying one yesterday. A few of the dealers had the '23's marked down by 20% so decided to get one before they're all gone.

Regarding prices, out of the dealers I went to, not a single one would come down on the price at all. I tried for $2000, $1000, $500, not a penny below the 20%. When talking on the phone to an Internet sales lady, I asked her if they would come down on the price. She told me straight up, I can try, but she's never seen them allow any further discounts.

My advice to anyone shopping, is call the dealer first and ask them if there are any dealer add ons. The first one I looked at was the same price as the one I bought (roughly), but they had about $6K of add ons, only a $1200 add could be removed. The rest could not be removed and they wouldn't lower the prices. So left there pretty pissed off. Found the one I bought and called the dealer. He did promise me they don't play the 'add on game'. I was in and out of there pretty quickly and was very happy with them.

So I get why dealers try to throw in the add ons, but my god, over $6K of garbage I don't want? I wonder how many people walk out angry. Furthermore, if you're going to force add ons, AT LEAST make ONE of them a bed liner of some sort.

There was another one I was looking at online, but it was slightly higher priced due to a sun roof and a few other things that I wouldn't really mind. Call them up, their add on was the electric running boards for $2500. So fine, something I might like. But still moved it from just outside my budget, to clearly over what I was willing to spend. Might have gotten that one if they didn't do the running boards.

All in all, happy with what I got. 2023 Big Horn, Sport and trailer package, heated seats, 8" radio screen. Hope to have it for at least 10 years. Love the sound and feel of the 5.7.

View attachment 540072

View attachment 540073
Congrats on your purchase and nice looking truck!!