What upppp, new dude from MD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparftw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, what up? I've been lurking around here for a while, finally getting around to making an intro post. 2006 1500 SLT 5.7 4WD. I bought my truck back in March '15, and have been falling progressively more in love with it ever since.

I'll try to keep this intro short, I tend to be long-winded. So far I have very few mods (grille guard, ghettofied rims), but I'm aiming for a 6"ish lift, 37's, bumpers, etc.

I have a lot of questions, the biggest of which at the moment is, if I am aiming to get a 6" susp lift down the road ($$$$), is there any point in getting the Bilstein 5100's now? All the lift kits I am seeing come with shocks, and I really don't know whether or not those can be superseded by the 5100's.

Other questions include:

- What are my options for a locker in the front?

- What are the pros/cons of doing blocks or leaves in the back for lift?

- Does the rear locker engage in 4x4HI, or only in LO?

Blah blah blah. Anyway, I look forward to engaging with the community here, and progressing on my truck!

RnpmXX5.jpg

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Other questions include:

Blah blah blah. Anyway, I look forward to engaging with the community here, and progressing on my truck!

RnpmXX5.jpg

:welcome:

No lockers available for the fronts, it'll grenade it.

I prefer new springs, but blocks are going to be the most common.

4WD "LOCK" just means that your TC is "locked" into 4WD. You more than likely have an LSD in the rear.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome!!! Hope you enjoy it here. Lots of knowledge here to help answer your questions.
Jay

OP
OP
Moparftw

Moparftw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome:

No lockers available for the fronts, it'll grenade it.

:suicide:

I prefer new springs, but blocks are going to be the most common.

What's the benefit of new springs? I am not that well versed in suspension knowledge/understanding, do you get more flex from springs vs blocks? Better ride? More towing capacity? Idk....

4WD "LOCK" just means that your TC is "locked" into 4WD. You more than likely have an LSD in the rear.

So... what are options for rear locker then?

Thanks for your replies, and your welcome!

And everyone else's welcomes!

Yay trucks!

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
What's the benefit of new springs? I am not that well versed in suspension knowledge/understanding, do you get more flex from springs vs blocks? Better ride? More towing capacity? Idk....

I don't have any "specific" reason, but I've seen people throw the blocks out from in between the axle and spring (it's very rare, but I've seen it happen). 3rd gens (like mine) get the "Dodge Lean", it's where a leaf spring wears out(usually on the driver side) from all the weight over time and when you look at it from the back it sits at an angle. You'll be able to run blocks no problem, but "I" just prefer to replace the entire spring. You can upgrade from the OEM 1700# springs to some 2200# springs and you could do more payload/towing, I'll be doing 2200# springs when I get around to replacing mine.

So... what are options for rear locker then?

You can run a Detroit - they're pricey, but proven. Their are several different brands out there that "do" and several different brands that "claim to do". I would say hit up the off road forums and see what the folks over there are running in the Chrysler 9.25 axles.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey I was gonna say welcome but I got here a day after you...lol

Im from Annapolis

Where are you located?

1ATony

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score