Whats a Good Break In Oil For the Cummins Standard Output Engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Hopefully that was posted in jest. The factory would not recommend it if there were any danger. I've read numerous posts from folks that had their used oil analyzed at 15K, and it was still good. Modern synthetic oil is great stuff.

For my 2029 CTD, LHM Avondale Dodge sets my oil change clock to only 5,000 miles.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
15,000 miles? Your oil filter will be plugged and your oil will have turned into sand paper.
What???

Not true at all.... that was the recommended service interval on my 2016 3500 with the 6.7 cummins..... Prior to 2012 the interval was 7,500 miles. This doesn't come from nowhere.

Sure, you can change sooner if you want to spend the money but at 130k miles, running nothing but Fleetguard/Mopar filters and using nothing but Shell Rotella-T my engine had zero issues and ran like a brand new one.

Instead of listening to a dealer who apparently knows they can take you.... open your owner's manual. Follow the intervals, and all will be well.

IF most of your driving is city driving (whether you plug in your heater or downshift around town) and you aren't actually towing regularly with the truck you're doing far more damage to the system than if you changed your oil at 15k miles. These trucks are meant to be worked hard. The ones that have the most issues are the ones who spend their life as a grocery getter.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
What???

Not true at all.... that was the recommended service interval on my 2016 3500 with the 6.7 cummins..... Prior to 2012 the interval was 7,500 miles. This doesn't come from nowhere.

Sure, you can change sooner if you want to spend the money but at 130k miles, running nothing but Fleetguard/Mopar filters and using nothing but Shell Rotella-T my engine had zero issues and ran like a brand new one.

Instead of listening to a dealer who apparently knows they can take you.... open your owner's manual. Follow the intervals, and all will be well.

IF most of your driving is city driving (whether you plug in your heater or downshift around town) and you aren't actually towing regularly with the truck you're doing far more damage to the system than if you changed your oil at 15k miles. These trucks are meant to be worked hard. The ones that have the most issues are the ones who spend their life as a grocery getter.

Dealership has a special package. When you purchase 2 synthetic oil & filters at a time, it's only $120 each. The oil, alone is $60 at Walmart. Includes safety check inspection, undercarriage lube, rotate and balance tires.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was paying $144 for my oil changes (Shell Rotella-T 15W-40 oil) including the $15 Mopar oil filter. That's only $24 more than the dealer you quoted, but I only had to change mine every 15k miles. I was putting about 15k miles on the truck a year, so on your 5k interval I would have spent $360 a year in oil changes. Instead, I spent $144. My tire rotation and balancing is free through my tire store, but even if it weren't they only charge $12/tire so that would have been an additional $48 every 10k miles. It would still be cheaper than the dealer.

My point is, just don't get hung up on what that dealer is claiming to be a good deal. It doesn't sound that great honestly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota