What's different about the Gen 5 versus the 4. Any complaints with the Etorque or truck in general??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Well yes and no. 5th gen is a better driving truck.

You suggest I spend the money for a high priced truck and in addition pay for an overpriced warranty. Most people only have one car. What do I drive when using the warranty? What about being stranded with my kids waiting on a tow truck? Now I have some 15 dollar an hour ding dongs fiddling with my electronics on a brand new truck.

Some of us are willing to sacrifice comfort while saving money and piece of mind that I have less that can go wrong.

Your last statement is spot on.
I understand your sentiment.

I have always purchased the extended warranty with my trucks. The ones I buy come with loaner car coverage, trip interruption, and towing. I just consider it part of the cost of a vehicle that I want to keep for a long time. They usually pay for themselves or close to it if you keep it a long time …but they are 2500-3500$ for a truck. I have never had a truck that I bought new strand me. I never used the towing insurance as of yet. Used beaters when I was younger , sure they broke down. I do not believe that new trucks are somehow less reliable, probably more reliable if anything. Any vehicle can break down, of course.

Partly lucky, but I am very careful with maintenance and once the factory warranty expires, the extended warranty makes it easier to bring the truck in for repairs. I think that helps a lot with reliability as well. Peace of mind for sure. My 22 has no etorque, but I would not be afraid if it did. I’d just get it fixed if it was acting up.

There just isn’t a better option if you want a nice truck and want to keep it for 10+ years. They just cost too much to fix to not get the warranty unless you are a mechanic.

It is still cheaper than leasing, as long as you actually keep the truck long enough…. So you better get one you can live with for a long time. It’s not hard to calculate how long you need to keep it to come out ahead. I have gone cheap on a couple trucks in the past and it’s hard to live with them for a decade, lol. My last ram had the 4.7. I loved that truck, but wanted a hemi the whole time I owned it.

Every investment is a gamble. There’s always a risk and a catch. Everyone has to find their own comfort level with vehicles.

Best

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have always purchased the extended warranty with my trucks. The ones I buy come with loaner car coverage, trip interruption, and towing. I just consider it part of the cost of a vehicle that I want to keep for a long time. They usually pay for themselves or close to it if you keep it a long time …but they are 2500-3500$ for a truck. I have never had a truck that I bought new strand me. I never used the towing insurance as of yet. Used beaters when I was younger , sure they broke down. I do not believe that new trucks are somehow less reliable, probably more reliable if anything. Any vehicle can break down, of course.

Partly lucky, but I am very careful with maintenance and once the factory warranty expires, the extended warranty makes it easier to bring the truck in for repairs. I think that helps a lot with reliability as well. Peace of mind for sure. My 22 has no etorque, but I would not be afraid if it did. I’d just get it fixed if it was acting up.

There just isn’t a better option if you want a nice truck and want to keep it for 10+ years. They just cost too much to fix to not get the warranty unless you are a mechanic.

It is still cheaper than leasing, as long as you actually keep the truck long enough…. So you better get one you can live with for a long time. It’s not hard to calculate how long you need to keep it to come out ahead. I have gone cheap on a couple trucks in the past and it’s hard to live with them for a decade, lol. My last ram had the 4.7. I loved that truck, but wanted a hemi the whole time I owned it.

Every investment is a gamble. There’s always a risk and a catch. Everyone has to find their own comfort level with vehicles.

Best
Extended warranties don't usually last that long. Do they? It's not a bad idea. I'm thinking about it if I buy this new space shuttle.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems to me that those enthralled with technology and the latest cellphone and gadget features find start/stop great. Those of us that have driven vehicles for a half century or more seem to find it annoying at best, unnecessary at worst. A good friend of mine almost walked away from her new Honda Accord after driving it because the sales person had that feature activated. She hated it. Once she found out it could be switched off entirely she bought the car.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107459 miles.
Dusty, B-25 there in yer Avatar?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5th gen is substantially better than my 4th gen.

Ride quality, steering, brakes are huge, interior is nicer, and it is much quieter.

Get an extended warranty if you are worried about costs to fix the gadgets.

Every truck is an electronic nightmare anymore. It will only get worse.
YUP, rolling friggn "Coleco Adam" computers, lmao.

WSix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mines going back in again for the fuel system. Doesn't want to take on gas.... Two cracked manifolds...I've owned it less than a year....

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
My father's 2020 Longhorn had a eTorque failure a couple months ago. Started with the truck squealing on start up. did that for about a week, then he was driving home from work and the battery gauge dropped to zero while driving. He drove straight to the dealer and left it there. Took about a month for them to get the part, replace it and then diagnose subsequent charging issues. Chrysler Engineering was involved due to the complexity of the system.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Can only be turned off temporarily. When you start the vehicle back up, the auto-shut off is re-engaged. There are some aftermarket black boxes to keep it shut down, but I have no experience with them.
My biggest complaint with the auto shutoff is while slowly inching into my garage or at stop signs...
The aftermarket start stop eliminating device is an isolated wiring circuit you insert between a specific set of plugged wires under the dash. It works 100% of the time all the time. Start stop is eliminated until you take out the device. Meaning that function is inoperative

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Best
Have a theory about warranties. If I can not afford to fix or replace a whatever it is, I do not buy that item.

Not saying it’s not a good idea. Maybe I’m the lucky one. Always felt it was a ripoff for. I get the wanting something nicer and in that case the extended warranty is required but this is not an investment. Depreciating asset.

Think if this country quit buying what they wanted and purchased what they need… to a certain extent anyway. We all deserve some nice things technology provides. Going back to horse and wagon is a silly counter argument. Reason feds raised the interest rates so people quit borrowing money for overpriced wants.

Sorry. Non of this directed towards you. Love the fact ram still provides the option of the gen 4. Has all the options I want at a better price point with less stuff I don’t need.