What's different about the Gen 5 versus the 4. Any complaints with the Etorque or truck in general??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXd150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had 2 trucks with 5.7/Etorque engines, a 2022 Laramie GT and 2023 LoneStar. My only complaint about the Etorque system is the start/stop system. If you make a brief stop like when yielding, it stops the engine then yanks the hell out of the truck when you take off. I’m sure it will cause damage down the road but I never keep a truck for more that a year or two.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has a 2017 Laramie. Bought a 2024 Limited. I love, love, love it!!! Love all the gadgets. It drives amazingly smooth. And the interior is awesome. I tow my travel trailer in comfort. It’s my daily driver and I wouldn’t change a thing.
I like to agree. first time driving a 5th gen, could not believe how much nicer to drive it was. Are the gadgets worth it if you keep a vehicle a long time though? That's the question. Personally do not think so.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Also I found a truck I like with 3.92 gears, but it has no trailer control group, or trailer brake controller options. I don't really care about the tow group, but the trailer brake controller would be nice. Does the factory trailer brake controller have any desirable features over an aftermarket one?
I have 2019 Hemi, eTorque and it has been flawless. 60k on it.

Deercamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thus far satisfied with 2024 v6 Bigfoot 4WD Quadcab. Based on title of this thread, here are some gripes.

Disappointed the following not included in packages/options on my truck:
-4WD package should have included front tow hooks and the ability to choose without extra cost either a tire primarily for the street, like the one that came with my truck, or a more aggressive tire for occasional off road excursions (such as the BF Goodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2). The more aggressive tire should not include an extra charge, as this is a 4WD vehicle.
-Level B Equipment Group (a hefty $3,845) should include a locking fuel filler door and the feature that allows one with key fob in pocket to unlock door by touching door handle
-Vinyl seat covers should be a choice for Bigfoot
-Rear seat of Quadcab does not have cup holders (not a big deal for my hunting dogs but likely a minor annoyance for humans relegated to the back seat.)
-cargo bed does not have enclosed storage area alongside wheel wells
-a hardcopy owner’s manual would be appreciated
-covers for the rear stake pockets would probably cost Stellantis less than 25 cents to include as standard equipment. (These exposed stake pockets (probably rarely if ever used) allow rain and carwash water into cargo bed.)
-12 volt outlet for accessories such as Gps should be deactivated when engine shut off. (I’m aware that some members rearrange fuses to correct this, but having contorted myself attempting to work on rearranging fuses in a 2013 Avalon, I’ll pass.)The default setting for the accessory outlet should be linked to ignition switch. Otherwise someone in a remote area could end up with a dead battery because an item, unbeknownst to the owner, was draining the battery 24/7.
-Not fond of the Event Data Recorder’s intrusion of our privacy and the ability of Stellantis to use that data for profit (such as marketing the information to insurance companies (our driving characteristics) and other enterprises. The vast majority of auto manufacturers do this now, but hopefully consumers will wake up and demand that the collection and dissemination of this personal information cease.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really haven't noticed the effect of the eTorque.
However, there is an ability to measure the health of that separate eTorque battery. After only two years, the battery life was already down 40%!
Replacement cost of that battery is over $2000!
WOW! That's good to know!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I really haven't noticed the effect of the eTorque.
However, there is an ability to measure the health of that separate eTorque battery. After only two years, the battery life was already down 40%!
Replacement cost of that battery is over $2000!
I would also like to know how your coming up with that figure.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your a fan of a bunch of useless extra junk that will cost a fortune to fix down the road, Go for it ;)

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your a fan of a bunch of useless extra junk that will cost a fortune to fix down the road, Go for it ;)
That **** scares the crap out of me and I'm an electronic technician. I tested rocket engines for a living.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One I am waiting on how to tell if the battery pack is down to 40%. Two while you can't get rid of etorque with the start stop disabled its not on per say.the etorque is what restarts the truck with start stop on not the starter.i have an autostop eliminater on mine it stays off unless I turn it on.i do turn it on every now and then to keep it working. its my ocd kicking In.i have a 2023 quad cab hemi 2 wheel drive.gets 20 combined 22 highway and got 16.7 pulling a nissan rouge 130 miles home from Birmingham.

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One I am waiting on how to tell if the battery pack is down to 40%. Two while you can't get rid of etorque with the start stop disabled its not on per say.the etorque is what restarts the truck with start stop on not the starter.i have an autostop eliminater on mine it stays off unless I turn it on.i do turn it on every now and then to keep it working. its my ocd kicking In.i have a 2023 quad cab hemi 2 wheel drive.gets 20 combined 22 highway and got 16.7 pulling a nissan rouge 130 miles home from Birmingham.
Good to know, thanks. I average 20mpg with my 93 D250 Cummins but I rarely go over 70 mph.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Without listing ad nauseum items, after two fourth gens I find the difference between them and my fifth gen to be refinement all the way around. And my 4th gens were pretty darn good.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107407 miles.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did the +8 trick on my 23 RAM to defeat the 4/8 and stop/start features for awhile. But then I read that it’s speculated the dreaded Hemi tick could be from excess idling which is a bit hard to avoid in the city so I just leave it alone now for the most part. Mark it up to a case of internet hysteria if you like. I can’t say the e-torque system is transparent in use, but it’s not particularly bothersome and I don’t notice it much.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate start/stop. The sensation of the motor stopping and cranking back up from the brake peddle. Just gross. Maybe an unhealthy feeling for something so simple.

Other than the forth gen, can't think of a vehicle that does not come with this feature new. I'm a big jeep fan and loyal to manual transmissions but even that has start/stop. That must feel funny.

I have owned a lot of vehicles for only being in my 30s. In just the last 5 years we have seen a ridiculous amount of changes in the auto industry. Not slowing down and and promise we are not going backwards. I will be reading your opinions and comments on this forum about the latest and greatest attacked to your trucks but will not be hopping on that train.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems to me that those enthralled with technology and the latest cellphone and gadget features find start/stop great. Those of us that have driven vehicles for a half century or more seem to find it annoying at best, unnecessary at worst. A good friend of mine almost walked away from her new Honda Accord after driving it because the sales person had that feature activated. She hated it. Once she found out it could be switched off entirely she bought the car.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107459 miles.

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems to me that those enthralled with technology and the latest cellphone and gadget features find start/stop great. Those of us that have driven vehicles for a half century or more seem to find it annoying at best, unnecessary at worst. A good friend of mine almost walked away from her new Honda Accord after driving it because the sales person had that feature activated. She hated it. Once she found out it could be switched off entirely she bought the car.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107459 miles.
Yea, it's definitely a deal breaker.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
Without listing ad nauseum items, after two fourth gens I find the difference between them and my fifth gen to be refinement all the way around. And my 4th gens were pretty darn good.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107407 miles.
Concur. 4Gen were pretty sweet. 5th Gen are pretty sweet also but a little more fancy. You can only do so much with the mechanics of a truck....have to improve the tech stuff to justify

Regards,
Dusty
Yep. The auto engine shut off is not worth the miniscule gas savings. Not to mention the AC shutting down every time the engine turns off at a stop light. That sucks here in Florida. And the ridiculous 12" display...when I was shopping for my new truck the salesman put me in a Ram with the 12" display and started pushing buttons and going through all the features. I stopped him and said, I don't want that...find me something else.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
5th gen is substantially better than my 4th gen.

Ride quality, steering, brakes are huge, interior is nicer, and it is much quieter.

Get an extended warranty if you are worried about costs to fix the gadgets.

Every truck is an electronic nightmare anymore. It will only get worse.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5th gen is substantially better than my 4th gen.

Ride quality, steering, brakes are huge, interior is nicer, and it is much quieter.

Get an extended warranty if you are worried about costs to fix the gadgets.

Every truck is an electronic nightmare anymore. It will only get worse.
Well yes and no. 5th gen is a better driving truck.

You suggest I spend the money for a high priced truck and in addition pay for an overpriced warranty. Most people only have one car. What do I drive when using the warranty? What about being stranded with my kids waiting on a tow truck? Now I have some 15 dollar an hour ding dongs fiddling with my electronics on a brand new truck.

Some of us are willing to sacrifice comfort while saving money and piece of mind that I have less that can go wrong.

Your last statement is spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357