What's different about the Gen 5 versus the 4. Any complaints with the Etorque or truck in general??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol! No need for tricks here. You want basic, classic is up your ally. Also have a 2017 2500 tradesman and it very “basic”. No electric seats. No carpet. Been a fantastic truck. Got my first white truck about three years ago. Living in South, will not purchase another black vehicle again. My daily was a 98 gmc till this truck. Nothing new is basic these days.

You can still order a classic. From tradesman all the way up to a loaded ish warlock. Heated seats and all that jazz.

Have you looked at other manufacturers? Not selling you one way or another just wondering why set on ram.
I'm not really a Dodge guy, but I really love the look and even a Chevy guy loves a Hemi. It's the Joe Dirt in me I guess. My daily is a 93 D250 12 valve. Chevy interiors have been falling apart for decades and haven't improved. I don't know if I can do a Ford, but I've had a few older ones. The wife likes Dodge and she'll be the one driving it most of the time. She likes heated seats. I might order a Classic

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not really a Dodge guy, but I really love the look and even a Chevy guy loves a Hemi. It's the Joe Dirt in me I guess. My daily is a 93 D250 12 valve. Chevy interiors have been falling apart for decades and haven't improved. I don't know if I can do a Ford, but I've had a few older ones. The wife likes Dodge and she'll be the one driving it most of the time. She likes heated seats. I might order a Classic
U betta hurry up. I am not familiar enough especially if U want to order how long you will be able to order till 2025 models are in the line up and maybe/maybe not any more classics depending upon engine. U find a 2024 Classic with a Hemi, best suck it up quick. All IMHO.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Feel very similar to you. Chevy offset wheel to seat and interior is not great. Plus the mechanical problems are evident. Don’t like the way fords drive but the 5.0 is well engineered. Ram is a good compromise I hate to say. My feeling on modern trucks, Toyota is best until the update but interior is trash. Others are chasing reliability.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Took 2 months from order to build on my 2024 classic warlock. It indicates 28 days for delivery.

It's worth the wait to get exactly what you want.

butterscotch71

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited Longhorn
Engine
Recently trading my Gen 4 2015 on a 2023 Gen 5, I miss my old truck. The new gen does ride better, but it has too much electronic gimickry...like the stop/start, the truck honking its horn at you if you get out with the motor running, dinging at you to check the rear seat when you turn off the engine, the inability to turn off all your lights when the truck is parked but running, ...I could go on. Not sure if the Classic has any of this stuff now but my 2015 didn't. The Gen 5 also grew a few inches in length to add more room to the back seat...something I didn't realize before I bought it and don't really need. The new one just barely fits in my garage. The new one is nice and the interior is really a lot better, but I would have been happier being able to buy the exact same truck as my 2015 Sport again

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Feel very similar to you. Chevy offset wheel to seat and interior is not great. Plus the mechanical problems are evident. Don’t like the way fords drive but the 5.0 is well engineered. Ram is a good compromise I hate to say. My feeling on modern trucks, Toyota is best until the update but interior is trash. Others are chasing reliability.
Bottom line everything in life is horrible and has been destroyed by Democrats. None of this mess had to be done. It was all created. Everything sacrificed to gain a small percentage increase in mileage. While China builds a new coal plant every week. In 1970 we built the best cars in the world. 1972 was the beginning of the end to auto manufacturing. The engineering and direction we could have gone would have been amazing, but they changed the focus to pursue a radical global agenda to destroy the middle class. This is all for not. I have a few morals left and wouldn't buy a Toyota.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I believe the 4Gen was the last of the traditional Dodge crosshair grille. 5Gens have all new bodystyle and grilles. I personally prefer the 4Gen grille, but the new ones look pretty awesome also. Main complain about my 5Gen is the CarPlay. It's not 100% all the time. Always something weird going on with it.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I just got a 24 built to serve with trailer/offroad/5.7 package a month ago. It has the etorque and I was coming from a 2018 classic 5.7. The truck is light years ahead ride wise/braking/handling and interior is much more comfortable. The built to service is a optioned out big horn but doesn't have pure leather (its like a hybrid). My 18 was a optioned out Laramie with leather etc. I don't hate the etorque but it adds ALOT of complexity to the system. I'm not seeing any fuel savings over my 18 and the stop start is pretty seamless.

Here are a few things I have noticed.
- putting trans into manual 8 kills MDS and start/stop as well. I was hoping it would just kill MDS.
- deactivating stop/start via button still allows MDS
- You can't activate stop/start if its disabled (manual 8 mode) and stopped at a light. You need to be moving for it to activate prior to stopping. So if you have a long light up ahead you need to preemptively activate start/stop before coming to a stop otherwise you will idle through the light.
- engine no longer has Alternator, generator/motor is 48v and charges the .4kw battery behind the rear pass seat. Also the battery has a built in DC converter that reduces voltage to 12v to charge the regular 12v starter battery under the hood. I've noticed the charging voltages as low as 13v and as high as 14.7v and its all over the place. Anything over 12.8v is considered charging I learned and its normal. This also means if you have a charging issue your 48v battery has to get replaced as I don't think the converter is external and able to be replaced. This means after 8yrs your F*CKED if you have to and you will bc its a battery pack.
- replacing the headlights or taking the grille off on these trucks takes over an hour as you have to take off most of the front end.
- with stop/start active and your cruising or coasting with foot off the gas the REGEN makes a highish pitched noise you can hear even with the windows closed.
- when parking the stop/start will shut engine off before you can get the truck from drive to park so it will restart when you put it into park if your not fast.
- dash/radio screens do not dim unless you have the headlights/fogs on manually or on auto. I would have like radio auto dimming with headlights on manual off.
- No storage under the rear seat on my bighorn
- factory LED footwell lighting and non replaceable
- you want to upgrade the interior lights to LASFIT LEDs ASAP... stock halogen is terrible.
- my truck didn't come with the touch entry and I miss that the most from my 2018.
- Keyfob isn't recognized in my jacket pocket when pushing the engine start button. 70% of the time I need to have it out of my jacket pocket otherwise it says no keyfob detected. My 18 I could have the key in a bag in the back seat no issue.
- stock exhaust is louder than the 18 stock exhaust I also don't have a resonator ahead of the muffler after the ypipe.
- Stock LED reflector headlights aren't that great on low beam, I've added supplemental lighting before upgrading headlights. I hear the halogens are worse but you have LOTS more aftermarket options/upgrades.
- people have complained about the Apline system, my 18 had it and so does this 24 but I will say the 24 isn't as loud as my 18s. LEvel 20 was the max I would do with the windows up in my 18, in this 24 I can do that no prob and would say level 25 is about the same as level 20 on my 18.
- Stock alpine rear sub is a unique 3 voice coil shallow sub, I have yet to find a replacement that drops in.

Overall I love the truck, the driving/handling/braking is amazing. My 18 was only 60k when it was totaled and I had upgraded the brakes and made other upgrades but doesn't compare to this truck in that way. I don't love the payments on it and the added complexity of the etorque but I can hope down the line they have a delete kit or something for it when it does fail. I hope this helps. I find that the 5th gen tech here is lacking in comparison to the 4th gen section.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Recently trading my Gen 4 2015 on a 2023 Gen 5, I miss my old truck. The new gen does ride better, but it has too much electronic gimickry...like the stop/start, the truck honking its horn at you if you get out with the motor running, dinging at you to check the rear seat when you turn off the engine, the inability to turn off all your lights when the truck is parked but running, ...I could go on. Not sure if the Classic has any of this stuff now but my 2015 didn't. The Gen 5 also grew a few inches in length to add more room to the back seat...something I didn't realize before I bought it and don't really need. The new one just barely fits in my garage. The new one is nice and the interior is really a lot better, but I would have been happier being able to buy the exact same truck as my 2015 Sport again
I agree to some extent. Love my 18 and would have driven it till the wheels fell off but a High schooler not paying attention had other plans for me. Most of it isn't needed but the back seat is amazing... I have 3 young kids and more room in the back is needed! The interior, ride, suspension and braking (aka the meat and potatoes) are all an upgrade in my book too. I would have preferred no Etorque tho.

BigHossRides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l v6
Also I found a truck I like with 3.92 gears, but it has no trailer control group, or trailer brake controller options. I don't really care about the tow group, but the trailer brake controller would be nice. Does the factory trailer brake controller have any desirable features over an aftermarket one?
It shouldn't matter because the truck is already wired for the brake controller. I have a gen 4 and I had a aftermarket brake controller installed and the RV tech said the truck was already wired and had the plug the end.

Boggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about turning it off? How come you don't do that?
Can only be turned off temporarily. When you start the vehicle back up, the auto-shut off is re-engaged. There are some aftermarket black boxes to keep it shut down, but I have no experience with them.
My biggest complaint with the auto shutoff is while slowly inching into my garage or at stop signs...

Boggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really haven't noticed the effect of the eTorque.
However, there is an ability to measure the health of that separate eTorque battery. After only two years, the battery life was already down 40%!
Replacement cost of that battery is over $2000!

demech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a big fan of the etorque. I have driven the H5.7 with and without ET. If you are in traffic it is a great asset IMO...

Bighorn_Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh yes. I have that factory brake controller and it works perfectly. Adds the trailer length to Blind Spot Monitor. Great with a travel trailer behind you
Got that feature as well… haven’t used it yet. I’ll be towing my travel trailer from Huntsville to Arizona in approximately 45-60 days. Guess I’ll see how well it works then.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
I really haven't noticed the effect of the eTorque.
However, there is an ability to measure the health of that separate eTorque battery. After only two years, the battery life was already down 40%!
Replacement cost of that battery is over $2000!
How do you measure the life of the etorque 2nd battery at 40%? Plus, isn't it supposed to have an 8 year warranty, or is that just the alternator/starter?

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport w/eTorque.
65,000 miles.
Personally, if I could rip that damned expensive alternator out of my truck I would.
The start/stop feature is USELESS to me. Also, dangerous. I have almost hit several vehicles in drivethru lines when easing off the brake to move forward. You can disable it temporarily but you have to do it every time you start the truck. Real PITA. If it does ANYTHING beneficial I have not seen it. My gas mileage is the same with or without it enabled...

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got a 24 built to serve with trailer/offroad/5.7 package a month ago. It has the etorque and I was coming from a 2018 classic 5.7. The truck is light years ahead ride wise/braking/handling and interior is much more comfortable. The built to service is a optioned out big horn but doesn't have pure leather (its like a hybrid). My 18 was a optioned out Laramie with leather etc. I don't hate the etorque but it adds ALOT of complexity to the system. I'm not seeing any fuel savings over my 18 and the stop start is pretty seamless.

Here are a few things I have noticed.
- putting trans into manual 8 kills MDS and start/stop as well. I was hoping it would just kill MDS.
- deactivating stop/start via button still allows MDS
- You can't activate stop/start if its disabled (manual 8 mode) and stopped at a light. You need to be moving for it to activate prior to stopping. So if you have a long light up ahead you need to preemptively activate start/stop before coming to a stop otherwise you will idle through the light.
- engine no longer has Alternator, generator/motor is 48v and charges the .4kw battery behind the rear pass seat. Also the battery has a built in DC converter that reduces voltage to 12v to charge the regular 12v starter battery under the hood. I've noticed the charging voltages as low as 13v and as high as 14.7v and its all over the place. Anything over 12.8v is considered charging I learned and its normal. This also means if you have a charging issue your 48v battery has to get replaced as I don't think the converter is external and able to be replaced. This means after 8yrs your F*CKED if you have to and you will bc its a battery pack.
- replacing the headlights or taking the grille off on these trucks takes over an hour as you have to take off most of the front end.
- with stop/start active and your cruising or coasting with foot off the gas the REGEN makes a highish pitched noise you can hear even with the windows closed.
- when parking the stop/start will shut engine off before you can get the truck from drive to park so it will restart when you put it into park if your not fast.
- dash/radio screens do not dim unless you have the headlights/fogs on manually or on auto. I would have like radio auto dimming with headlights on manual off.
- No storage under the rear seat on my bighorn
- factory LED footwell lighting and non replaceable
- you want to upgrade the interior lights to LASFIT LEDs ASAP... stock halogen is terrible.
- my truck didn't come with the touch entry and I miss that the most from my 2018.
- Keyfob isn't recognized in my jacket pocket when pushing the engine start button. 70% of the time I need to have it out of my jacket pocket otherwise it says no keyfob detected. My 18 I could have the key in a bag in the back seat no issue.
- stock exhaust is louder than the 18 stock exhaust I also don't have a resonator ahead of the muffler after the ypipe.
- Stock LED reflector headlights aren't that great on low beam, I've added supplemental lighting before upgrading headlights. I hear the halogens are worse but you have LOTS more aftermarket options/upgrades.
- people have complained about the Apline system, my 18 had it and so does this 24 but I will say the 24 isn't as loud as my 18s. LEvel 20 was the max I would do with the windows up in my 18, in this 24 I can do that no prob and would say level 25 is about the same as level 20 on my 18.
- Stock alpine rear sub is a unique 3 voice coil shallow sub, I have yet to find a replacement that drops in.

Overall I love the truck, the driving/handling/braking is amazing. My 18 was only 60k when it was totaled and I had upgraded the brakes and made other upgrades but doesn't compare to this truck in that way. I don't love the payments on it and the added complexity of the etorque but I can hope down the line they have a delete kit or something for it when it does fail. I hope this helps. I find that the 5th gen tech here is lacking in comparison to the 4th gen section.
That's down right scary. I'm definitely going Gen 4

Baoluo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has a 2017 Laramie. Bought a 2024 Limited. I love, love, love it!!! Love all the gadgets. It drives amazingly smooth. And the interior is awesome. I tow my travel trailer in comfort. It’s my daily driver and I wouldn’t change a thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357