What's different about the Gen 5 versus the 4. Any complaints with the Etorque or truck in general??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also I found a truck I like with 3.92 gears, but it has no trailer control group, or trailer brake controller options. I don't really care about the tow group, but the trailer brake controller would be nice. Does the factory trailer brake controller have any desirable features over an aftermarket one?

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Many you tube reviews and discussions here on v4 vs 5. eTorque, in my opinion, is not worth the complexity but millions of trucks operating reliably with it. Factory brake controller integrates aesthetically with the controls and indicates on the digital gauge cluster. Functionally it’s possible it could also be activated by stability control? I’m not entirely sure on that but the truck knows when there’s a trailer and indicates length in the gauge cluster as well.

Pastor Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have only had mine for a couple of months and I didn't think I would like the auto-shutoff feature at first. It is super smooth starting up. I don't even really notice it any more. I like the fact that I am saving a little fuel when sitting at a red light.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Oh yes. I have that factory brake controller and it works perfectly. Adds the trailer length to Blind Spot Monitor. Great with a travel trailer behind you

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have only had mine for a couple of months and I didn't think I would like the auto-shutoff feature at first. It is super smooth starting up. I don't even really notice it any more. I like the fact that I am saving a little fuel when sitting at a red light.
What about turning it off? How come you don't do that?

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Many you tube reviews and discussions here on v4 vs 5. eTorque, in my opinion, is not worth the complexity but millions of trucks operating reliably with it. Factory brake controller integrates aesthetically with the controls and indicates on the digital gauge cluster. Functionally it’s possible it could also be activated by stability control? I’m not entirely sure on that but the truck knows when there’s a trailer and indicates length in the gauge cluster as well.
The complexity of these new vehicles scares the crap out of me. Big sister coming down hard.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about turning it off? How come you don't do that?
Button next to the shifter shuts it off.

The gen 5 is a quieter, smoother truck and drives great. It does have a bit more complexity compared to the currently still made gen 4. I went 4th gen due to the price and potentially less issues long term. Have you driven both?

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can’t turn off eTorque. It’s integral to the truck operation. Belt driven off the crank I think. And why would you want to lug around a big battery and heavy motor with it doing nothing? The button turns off start-stop of the truck at stop lights, not eTorque. Auto stop start uses eTorque motor and battery to be smooth but turning off auto stop does not turn off eTorque

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can’t turn off eTorque. It’s integral to the truck operation. Belt driven off the crank I think. And why would you want to lug around a big battery and heavy motor with it doing nothing?
As I understand it, he was asking about the stop/start shutoff.

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Button next to the shifter shuts it off.

The gen 5 is a quieter, smoother truck and drives great. It does have a bit more complexity compared to the currently still made gen 4. I went 4th gen due to the price and potentially less issues long term. Have you driven both?

No I haven't driven both. I want the least complicated truck I can find new or newish. When you say Gen 4 do you mean the Classic?

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can’t turn off eTorque. It’s integral to the truck operation. Belt driven off the crank I think. And why would you want to lug around a big battery and heavy motor with it doing nothing? The button turns off start-stop of the truck at stop lights, not eTorque. Auto stop start uses eTorque motor and battery to be smooth but turning off auto stop does not turn off eTorque
Yes, I was referring to the start stop. You can turn that off.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So Gen 4 does not have E torque? That would be a huge selling point in my book.
No start stop. No etorque. Yes I’m referring to the classic. Also the only way to get a regular cab if into that sort of thing. Hauls a$$ with the hemi.

My guess is this is the last year. Only speculation due to the hemi being phase out of the gen 5. No way they retool the classic for the new motor. Maybe they continue with the hemi or maybe v6 only.

The classic is an awesome truck. I still think the interior is modern enough and usable. No leather options or AC seats. I could care less. The uconnect is fantastic with wireless car play. Love the tow mirrors. Great truck if you do not value the the latest in comfort features.

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No start stop. No etorque. Yes I’m referring to the classic. Also the only way to get a regular cab if into that sort of thing. Hauls a$$ with the hemi.

My guess is this is the last year. Only speculation due to the hemi being phase out of the gen 5. No way they retool the classic for the new motor. Maybe they continue with the hemi or maybe v6 only.

The classic is an awesome truck. I still think the interior is modern enough and usable. No leather options or AC seats. I could care less. The uconnect is fantastic with wireless car play. Love the tow mirrors. Great truck if you do not value the the latest in comfort features.
You wouldn't **** me would ya! I'm totally getting a classic if that's true. The only problem is the inventory is very low when it comes to Classics. That's what I wanted to begin with, but I only found one Hemi and it was black paint. Who the Hell wants black paint in Florida.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You wouldn't **** me would ya! I'm totally getting a classic if that's true. The only problem is the inventory is very low when it comes to Classics. That's what I wanted to begin with, but I only found one Hemi and it was black paint. Who the Hell wants black paint in Florida.
As the worm said while looking out of the bird's ***. :hat:

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol! No need for tricks here. You want basic, classic is up your ally. Also have a 2017 2500 tradesman and it very “basic”. No electric seats. No carpet. Been a fantastic truck. Got my first white truck about three years ago. Living in South, will not purchase another black vehicle again. My daily was a 98 gmc till this truck. Nothing new is basic these days.

You can still order a classic. From tradesman all the way up to a loaded ish warlock. Heated seats and all that jazz.

Have you looked at other manufacturers? Not selling you one way or another just wondering why set on ram.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357