What's this noise? [VIDEO]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey Guys,

I'm a little over 6,000 miles on PP 5w20 (switch to PP at 2400) and mopar filter. About to order some Redline 5w20 and a Royal Purple filter.

Is this "hemi tick"? Is this normal engine noise? This is after a 60 mile drive. Can't hear anything in the cabin and with the bonnet/hood closed I can't hear it.

Should I be worried?

Thanks!!!!

-Theo

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm a little over 6,000 miles on PP 5w20 (switch to PP at 2400) and mopar filter. About to order some Redline 5w20 and a Royal Purple filter.

Is this "hemi tick"? Is this normal engine noise? This is after a 60 mile drive. Can't hear anything in the cabin and with the bonnet/hood closed I can't hear it.

Should I be worried?

Thanks!!!!

-Theo

It sounds like normal HEMI engine noise to me(based on that brand and weight of oil you're running) HEMI tick is more of a really bad start up rattle that goes away after a few seconds and not a constant noise like you have there. I tried PP 5W20 for one oil change and honestly the engine sounded worse that it did on PYB 5W20. If I were you I would swap to the Redline 5W20(or 5W30)at your next oil change. Personally I never switch over to synthetic until 10K miles to give the engine ample time to wear in but that's just me.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Hey Guys,

Should I be worried?

Thanks!!!!

-Theo

I have a lot of Hemi tick experience and you do Not have it. All you're hearing is the injectors firing.
She's running smooth as butter :)

OP
OP
Theo2019

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@HammerHead, thank you!

I'm used to hearing a 5.9 magnum so this hemi engine (with all it's special noises) makes me nervous!haha

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
@HammerHead, thank you!

I'm used to hearing a 5.9 magnum so this hemi engine (with all it's special noises) makes me nervous!haha
I had a 1999 5.9 magnum, sold it about 2 years ago. Wish I kept it, solid truck. Ate oil like crazy but was an amazing truck.

With these Hemi's there are 3 things to be looking/listening for. First is the Hemi Tick; at operating temperature you will have a tick tick tick noise at idle. Some described it as almost a knock knock knock noise. Go through the drive through to grab a burger and you will know for sure. My old 2013 didn't have it when it was new but developed one very bad tick at 60k.
Second is start up chatter in the morning after the truck has been sitting, some confuse this with the Hemi Tick. It's nothing to worry about unless it's Every morning; then it's time for a better oil decision. Third is broken exhaust manifold bolts, you Will know it when it happens. Trust me; very loud mechanical clapping noise. I've have all three and they all have a distinctive sound. Hopefully you won't have any.

Congratulations on the new rig!

OP
OP
Theo2019

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a 1999 5.9 magnum, sold it about 2 years ago. Wish I kept it, solid truck. Ate oil like crazy but was an amazing truck.

With these Hemi's there are 3 things to be looking/listening for. First is the Hemi Tick; at operating temperature you will have a tick tick tick noise at idle. Some described it as almost a knock knock knock noise. Go through the drive through to grab a burger and you will know for sure. My old 2013 didn't have it when it was new but developed one very bad tick at 60k.
Second is start up chatter in the morning after the truck has been sitting, some confuse this with the Hemi Tick. It's nothing to worry about unless it's Every morning; then it's time for a better oil decision. Third is broken exhaust manifold bolts, you Will know it when it happens. Trust me; very loud mechanical clapping noise. I've have all three and they all have a distinctive sound. Hopefully you won't have any.

Congratulations on the new rig!

Same here! I had a 1996 2500 and that motor constantly needed an extra quart in her! Fantastic power though for an old truck.

I appreciate the helpful advice big time. I'm running PP right now but was thinking about trying either PUP or Redline.

That 2500 you have looks killer. I was originally looking at getting a 2018 2500 or Power Wagon, but it was just too much truck for me capability/utility wise!

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Solid good sounds from your 5.7. As stated above depending on who the injector supplier was, some injectors tick as they pulse fuel. i.e. Denso versus Bosch. Nothing to at all to be concerned about.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Same here! I had a 1996 2500 and that motor constantly needed an extra quart in her! Fantastic power though for an old truck.

I appreciate the helpful advice big time. I'm running PP right now but was thinking about trying either PUP or Redline.

That 2500 you have looks killer. I was originally looking at getting a 2018 2500 or Power Wagon, but it was just too much truck for me capability/utility wise!
PUP and Redline are both Fantastic oils, two of my top three favorite oils. Both will serve you well. Amsoil is another Fantastic oil, rounding out my top 3.