What's your favorite muffler swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I'm looking for an affordable way to improve the sound of my 5.7. A simple muffler change will do the trick, but there are so many options it's hard to figure out what to get. Looks like most are in the $250-350 range, which is what I'm looking for and pretty easy to install.

As far as sound, I just want a nice, low rumble. Not looking to wake up the neighbors with straight pipes...just a good traditional "V8" growl. I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For a straight muffler swap I like the carven progressive. It did get drone around 1800rpm but had a nice tone. Swapped for a borla s type catback though.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Carven Progressive. I love it, but it's not quiet, especially after some miles. Americantrucks.com has a loudness rating on the exhausts they carry, so you might start there. The ratings are in the videos.

Last edited:

cacarter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Always been a Flowmaster fan, myself. I have a cold air intake on my truck, and plan on getting a Flowmaster American Thunder setup soon to complete that part of my mods.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I added a 24" MagnaFlow to mine. As i understand they make a 16", 20" and the 24". The shorter ones were too loud for me. I have a nice bark at cold start, very little sound at cruise - no drone - but when you lean on it there is no question you've got a V8.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Had the Carven Comp on my 2018 1500:

Have the Solo MR400 on my 3500:

I changed the muffler on my 1500 in my driveway, it was pretty easy to do. The 3500 I had to take to a shop with a lift.

Last edited:

John Schmidt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES DELTA FLOW
Hi. I guess you're going to get a hundred different opinions. I put a

Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow Muffler​

on my 2020 and it sounds fantastic, but quiet enough to drive cross country.
You can listen to this muffler and others on this website:
Thanks.
John

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
Does upgrading the muffler actually improve HP and fuel efficiency? Seems like all the manufacturers claim their muffler does...but is it real?

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking for an affordable way to improve the sound of my 5.7. A simple muffler change will do the trick, but there are so many options it's hard to figure out what to get. Looks like most are in the $250-350 range, which is what I'm looking for and pretty easy to install.

As far as sound, I just want a nice, low rumble. Not looking to wake up the neighbors with straight pipes...just a good traditional "V8" growl. I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

I had the Corsa sport on a past truck, not wanting to get too loud, and while it improved stock I was never satisfied with the volume.

Went with a Borla ATAK on this build. It is loud under WOT but no drone and quiets down at cruising speed. Amazing build quality. Cold starts will wake the neighbors!

Based on budget and sound preference, might recommend the Borla S-Type. In my opinion the Borla setups sound better on the hemi (like Corsa better in GM). YMMV.

For ultimate sound/price a resonator delete is hard to beat. Saw a lot of guys go with AFE/etc. with good results on GM, but on my 21 there was no forward resonator to delete.

Pfoneman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Muffler delete with just the resonators on my 2021 1500 Classic. Love the sound and B2 fabrication sales the kits. Pretty easy driveway mod. Mig welded mine instead of using the exhaust clamps. They sell all different kits with sound recordings. Nice guys too. Answered my email in less than 12 hours. Quality stuff.

Robert J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Flowmaster Outlaw, 817633, on my 2013 Ram Sport. It's loud and aggressive. My son has a Totalflow 14 inch, 314633, on his 2015 Ram Sport. It has a more mellow sound than the Flowmaster and doesn't get loud until under full throttle. If I ever replace the Flowmaster, I'm going with the Totalflow. Both mufflers will connect directly to the factory pipes and it took about 45 minutes to replace. Amazon carries both mufflers.

Gerard22295

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a Borla 40359 Pro XS (stainless) on my Big Horn by a shop here in Massachusetts and love it. All other exhaust parts remained factory. I agree many choices, but this shop owner knew his stuff, knew what I wanted, nice, low rumble which Borla is known for. It cost me $300 installed, welded in. Price was 1 1/2 years ago on new 5.7 Hemi big horn. Good Luck.