Wheel wax vs ceramic coatings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My truck has some aftermarket wheels that are a pain to clean so i have been looking into some wax or other coatings so i dont have to scrub all the nooks and crannies. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few people I work with werent believers in coatings in general, so I told them to buy a small bottle of GTechniq Wheel Armor (C5) and get back to me. I still hear them rave about how good it is to not have to scrub wheels every time they wash the car.

On my truck, though, with the chrome covers on it...I didnt bother with a coating. They shouldn't corrode or rust, and when they get dirty I just use some Meguiars PlastX on the tough spots, otherwise car wash soap does the rest. I put a coating of Collinite Fleet Wax on them just to have something.

On the wheel barrels, though, I would use coatings any day of the week on any wheel. Just to reduce the amount of crud you can see but cant quite get to without actually pulling the wheels off.

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Most likely you will still have to get in all those tight spots no matter what you use.

What type of finish is on the wheels?

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They are black rock star wheels with a flat black paint

Last edited:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Makes no difference what you use, you're still gonna have to wash them.

SJP_1809

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently I use Gyeon Wetcoat for my wheels and it works great. I've also used Mckee's 37 Hydro Blue with awesome results. Just spray either product on the wheel and rinse it off. Can't get any more simple than that. And it also makes cleaning them much easier.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where's the best place to buy GTECHq wheel cleaner??
It can be purchased at autogeek.net. GTechniq products are not inexpensive. Autogeek often has free (or low) shipping deals...

I once tried the actual WheelWax. It worked OK, but was too tedious. Now, I hit them with a spray wax often.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind Gtechniq wheel armor is not a cleaner. In fact to apply it (and have it actually last as long as it should), the preparation is key. There can be NOTHING on the surface. No dirt, no oil, no anything leftover from cleaning or polishing, etc.

Waxes are more forgiving about surface prep but wont last as long as properly applied coatings.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
My truck has some aftermarket wheels that are a pain to clean so i have been looking into some wax or other coatings so i dont have to scrub all the nooks and crannies. Any thoughts?

+1 for what @AdamsPolishes said. Ceramic coating all the way. Dedicate a weekend to pull the wheels and clean them if they are not brand new it’s going to take a few hours on each wheel. Like painting the ceramic coating is only as good as the prep work. But you will be happy with the results

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HIJACK---Adams might be the only decent thing that comes out of Colorado anymore---IMHO I'm waiting for one of their products to have the scent of grass----LOL
Jay

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HIJACK---Adams might be the only decent thing that comes out of Colorado anymore---IMHO I'm waiting for one of their products to have the scent of grass----LOL
Jay

Hell yeah, wait....what? :smoke2:

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn Built to Serve edition
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Has anyone used Surf City Garage ceramic coatings yet? If so, results?