Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Where would you go from here?

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Power Wagon' started by Down the Tubes, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Down the Tubes

Down the Tubes Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to the forum and Power Wagons.
    My first truck was a 73 Dodge 2WD that I bought for $700 in 1986. I loved that truck and it went everywhere!
    The next Dodge/Ram that I bought was 2 years ago.....not sure why I waited so long, but I bought a 2016 Ram 2500 long bed diesel 4x4. I really love this truck but I want something that's better for off road and just plain fun!

I'm in the process of buying a new 2018 lifted (by the dealer) Power Wagon.
    I live in Hawaii for now, but will be moving to Idaho in about 2 years. The Power Wagon will be perfect for the mountains there!

Here is what the dealer has done so far:
    4" BDS lift
    Nitto Grappler 37's
    XD custom wheels
    Line-X bed liner
    Custom front & rear adjustable track bars
    Calibrated speedometer/computer
    Custom exhaust

I'll probably take a few weeks/months to get used to the truck, but I've never been one to leave things alone......
    Where would you guys go from here?
    Pedal Commander, programmer, etc.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. WY-Dave

WY-Dave Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 CTD
    Def would consider a regear.

3. Down the Tubes

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L
    Thanks!
    Would a re-gear void my warranty?
    What would be the advantages of re-gearing?

I apologize if these are naive questions. I'm new, again, to the 4x4/offroad world.
    I kind of gave it up when we moved to Hawaii. There are places to go, but it's a LONG story.

4. 22hemi13

22hemi13 Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2014 2500 4x4
    Engine:
    The long bed is capable with just a lift and 37’s! Now never gonna talk you out of a PW but if ya already have a truck. Depends on what you really are going to do. I wheel my cclb HARD and it goes everywhere I’ve needed it to with relative ease.

392DevilDog likes this.
  5. 22hemi13

22hemi13 Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2014 2500 4x4
    Engine:
    I’d get rid of the bds if you plan on wheeling it. My buddy has a bds lift on his Chevy and I swear every time we go out together he breaks a bolt on that damn kit. Again depends really on what you plan on doing. One mans “off-roading” could be another guys normal dirt road

m25443 likes this.
  6. Down the Tubes

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L
    Definitely not getting rid of the long bed, it will become the wife's truck.
    We basically need another truck for our company, so I thought PW would be perfect.
    We have jobs that the long bed just won't get to. Too many rocks and obstacles that will rip the bumpers right off of a long bed. I keep borrowing a Polaris to get there.
    The idea of a lifted PW is perfect for these jobs, and our future plans of living WAY out in the middle of the forest.
    We'll have the long bed to go to town in for supplies, but the PW will be our go anywhere vehicle, until the EMP kills all of the electronics......:hidesbehindsofa:

As for the BDS, I'll have to keep it till it bothers me.
    I can't see myself getting too crazy with a $60k truck until I've had it for a while. Gotta pay it off before I break it......
    If I have problems though, I'll definitely have to reconsider.

So,
    Is a re-gear necessary?
    Are there things I can do to get slightly better mileage? I realize that I didn't buy this truck for the mileage, but I gotta ask.

7. 3TV

3TV Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I'm running 37s with my 2018, with stock gearing. You absolutely do not need to re-gear this truck to run 37s. I've run 37s on several different vehicles, and some of them definitely needed re-geared. The lowest re-gear I did was 5.38:1 on a Jeep JK. Larger tires will always negatively impact on road performance, but the 37s on this Power Wagon have had less of an impact than on any other vehicle platform I have ran 37s on. In many aspects the truck drives better with 37s than it does with the stock tires. At least drive it with the stock 4.10 gears in it first, and see what you think. I think you'll be impressed at how good it drives.

As for what else is needed for your new truck ...

Recovery gear
    GPS of choice (I like Lowrance)
    Gas in the tank.

The best thing you can do to feel better about your gas mileage is to quit checking it. You just don't want to know.

These truck come well set up from the factory. Go enjoy it.

392DevilDog likes this.
  8. Trailmaker

Trailmaker Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    If you are wheelin’ already then a Hi-lift jack, some recovery straps. lights/ flashlight ( you could get caught in the dark and the phone flashlight won’t cut it)
    CB radio or 2 way radio
    Shackles/D-rings
    Just to name a few things I have. Congratulations on the wagon!

check out the recovery thread.

9. 3TV

3TV Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Something else to consider if you are going to be 4-wheeling in Idaho, ... a chainsaw. I live in Utah, right next door to Idaho, and ATVs/UTVs have pretty much taken over for off road use. And because of this, the trails keep getting more and more narrow, and it can be tough to get a full size truck through some trails. I carry a Dewalt lithium ion battery powered chainsaw with me, it stays in the Ram box all the time. It has saved the paint on my Power Wagon more times than I can count.

Grand Mesa likes this.
  10. michael harpe

michael harpe U.S. Army 2001-2014 Military

Ram Year:
    2018 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    The pedal commander will void your warranty. Dealers can tell when the ecu has been messed with.

I run 37's and didnt regear. I concur. It's not needed. You may lose some acceleration so what. This truck isnt made to go fast. You want to go fast but a crotch rocket or a hellcat/scat pack/demon etc.

Here is my build if your interested
    https://www.ramforum.com/threads/my-power-wagon-build-thread.150253/page-7

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk