Which Centerline 17" Forged Wheel to Get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which style do you prefer? Truck is '14 Laramie CC SB 4x4, stock height/suspension. Looking at downsizing the stock 13+ Laramie 20" chrome clad 20 x 9 to Centerline 17 x 8 Tomahawk Stingray III or Tomahawk Tracer.

Motivation: weight reduction, highway ride smoothness, impact protection during light off road duty

Stock 20" x 9 chrome clad = ~32 lbs
Centerline 17" x 8 polished = ~20 lbs
Wheel weight change per corner = ~(12 lbs)

Stock 275/60/20 Goodyear SR-A tire = 41 lbs (source: TireRack)
New 265/70/17 Michelin LTX MS/2 tire = 42 lbs (source: TireRack)
Tire weight change per corner = 1 lbs

Net change per corner = ~(11 lbs)

Your thoughts/experiences?

Stingray III (6-spoke, image on the left): The Design People

Tracer (10-spoke, image on the right): The Design People

Attachments

• StingrayIII.jpg
    StingrayIII.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Tracer.jpg
    Tracer.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 114

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just an FYI, I had polished Centerlines on my old Dakota . . . They are highly polished and look friggin awesome coming out of the box . . . I don't see where you live, or if you plan to run them all year . . . Centerlines are not clear coated . . . I spent 3 hours a wheel bringing mine back from the effects of an Ohio winter every Spring, and they never looked as good as new . . . I personally would never own another set of polished wheels . . . But hey, maybe you don't mind spending a good bit of every Saturday sitting at the 4 corners of your ride with compound and a rag in your hand . . . Just hoping to save you some hassle and frustration down the road.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I'm more of a fat spoke kinda guy so I vote for the stingray.

To save a polished wheel you need to seal it when new. Either with a clearcoat/anadized or look into a product called "zoop seal". I know it seals for a min oF 2 years, and my brother used it on a set of polished rims on his 68 vette. They look brand new and it's been way longer than 2 years but it doest get out much lol.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know! Thanks a bunch, y'all!

Are there any equivalent (weight, strength, cost, appearance) wheels you would recommend instead?

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did some diggin around on Centerline's website, and both of the wheels you are looking at are available in polished and chrome . . . If the Az in your name means Arizona, then you wouldn't have any polishing or corrosion issues with the chrome out there . . . Just another option . . . Chrome may run you a couple more bucks

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, AZ is home for now . . . unfortunately the extra maintenance is a nonstarter.

thanks for doing the extra digging though!

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I've owned centerline wheels also and they are nice but like others have said you need to either swap them out when you have snow/salt on the road or get them clear coated. I live in Nebraska so I kept my stock wheels. I put winter tires on them and swapped them out every winter. It was a fantastic setup.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback, y'all.

Guess the search continues . . .

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Good luck finding any light weight rims for these trucks that don't cost $1000s

I have come across the OEM 17x8 forged rims. I think there like 23lbs
Then there the stock aluminum silver 17s that are 24lbs are so.