Need to make buying decision based on towing; Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Thanks for the reply. I’m only hauling 7000 pounds max. I can only afford used in 27-35 range. My thinking is the ram 2500 with the smaller v8 is the best option. Thoughts?

My opinion.
Strongly recommend the 2500. The whole suspension brakes etc. are same as a 3500, so you get more for your money. The 6.4 is the best engine for this setup. I had a 1500. They're not a good choice for towing TT over 5000#. They're made to ride plush and car like. The 5.7 will pull a TT but at what cost. The 6.4 doesn't break a sweat and you can buy lots of gas for the difference you'll pay for the diesel. Besides, you're only towing a couple of months a year. Expect no more than 12 MPG driving around. And 8 or 9 MPG pulling.

The 5.7 towing I only got 10 MPG and I had my foot on the floorboards going up Pennsylvania hills. You go out west and you're going up and down 12% grades for miles. You won't be happy.

Then again, I could be wrong. ;)

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I have the exact situation. I have been towing my travel trailer with similar specs as yours. Mine is a 2006 yukon xl with a 5.3 and I upgraded the gears to 4:10. Mine has 110k miles on it and on my last trip with it we made it about 2 blocks before the transmission went out. I decided not to put myself in that situation again so we purchased a 2020 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and I havent been happier with the performance. I have no more worries if we will make the trip or not. I kept the yukon for family outings but the Ram is my tow vehicle. So go with the 2500 and relax and enjoy your trips.

Agreed... I did the same thing. Took a hit and traded in my 6 month old 5.7 (1500) for my 6.4 (2500) and never regretted the money lost because my family is safer and the trip is sooooo much more pleasant.

Runner06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Cummins Diesel for towing is awesome, however if you are only towing part time, I would recommend the gas 6.4 motor, 2500. You would have to drive a helluva a lot to get to breakeven, gas is less expensive than diesel and cost of maintenance is higher with the diesel. Oil changes, diesel fuel filters to change and blu def costs. Unless you do your own maintenance this will add up! I have a 3500 mega cab cummins single rear wheel and I love it for towing my fifth wheel! I know a dully would be better, but its a daily driver too, Towing 18,000 fully loaded!
Good Luck! Happy Trails!

ToTheDarkSide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The only thing I miss being the owner of a 6.7 Cummins is the exhaust brake. It spoils you. Loaded down or empty that brake was awesome. Took a while getting used to braking in the 6.4

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy a 2500 with the 6.4. You are going to be pounding that 1500! Brakes, suspension, engine, drive train pulling 7k up mountains.... cough up a few extra bucks and buy the 2500.

Doc337

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Buy the truck that will tow your NEXT trailer.
A 1500 will not cut it.
You need at least a 2500 for that trailer and your next.
The mistake a lot of people make is getting the truck then going shopping for the trailer.
It is important to know the Max trailer wt and the GCWR of the truck.
Here is my rig after crossing the Top of the World Highway from Dawson City YT Canada to Chicken Alaska.

Truck after TWH LOW REZ.jpg

Here is a pix of a buffalo scratching his rear end on the bull bar of the truck.
Buffalo-truck.jpg

OP
OP
E

Ed Von Boeckman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
I've narrowed it down to these two. 35K is the lowest price that I can get on the gas one (1st link). Haven't negotiated on the diesel. It's private party so he might come down to 34K. The private party lives close enough that i can go see it. Although you can't tell by the description or the pictures, It's basically the Tradesman package with a few extras. His truck has not been wrecked(he's getting that corrected; wrong vin) and he said it's spotless. I'll have to fly to Lousville, KY to ge the other. The 2017 has many features and very low miles. Feel free to share any thoughts. The private party said most of the miles are hwy miles and that he trades for a new one when he hits 85-100K miles.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=567777545&clickType=myATCsavedcar

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=568707691&clickType=myATCsavedcar

The private party is sending more info on towing, etc..

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've narrowed it down to these two. 35K is the lowest price that I can get on the gas one (1st link). Haven't negotiated on the diesel. It's private party so he might come down to 34K. The private party lives close enough that i can go see it. Although you can't tell by the description or the pictures, It's basically the Tradesman package with a few extras. His truck has not been wrecked(he's getting that corrected; wrong vin) and he said it's spotless. I'll have to fly to Lousville, KY to ge the other. The 2017 has many features and very low miles. Feel free to share any thoughts. The private party said most of the miles are hwy miles and that he trades for a new one when he hits 85-100K miles.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=567777545&clickType=myATCsavedcar

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=568707691&clickType=myATCsavedcar

The private party is sending more info on towing, etc..
The diesel is a very good deal.

The gas truck is nice and a fair price. But only has 3:73 gears. That will be perfectly fine for your current trailer. But the 4:10 would be much better.

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Well, I just picked up a 2018 Cummins 2500, I haven't changed my profile yet.

All I can say, after the 550 km drive home, is WOW. 850 ft lb torque, ride is amazing, it will tow anything I will ever own. We got 20 mpg at highway speeds unloaded.

Super happy with it. The Hemi's are great, but have around half the torque, and the potential for the cam lifter failure. I would have bought a Hemi but that issue scares me.

From what I can find, with a Hemi, do oil changes every 3000 km, use top quality oil, top quality filters, don't let them idle too much, and it seems the MDS could be the cause of the problem, but, it does not make sense to me why.

I started a thread called "Are the current Hemi Motors still eating cams and lifters" if you want to read what people are saying.

The Cummins is more than I need, and costs more, but, it has great resale, and is super reliable. When towing, not sure there is "too much". The 2500 has a stiffer frame, better brakes, more power. The Cummins has engine braking.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have the exact situation. I have been towing my travel trailer with similar specs as yours. Mine is a 2006 yukon xl with a 5.3 and I upgraded the gears to 4:10. Mine has 110k miles on it and on my last trip with it we made it about 2 blocks before the transmission went out. I decided not to put myself in that situation again so we purchased a 2020 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and I havent been happier with the performance. I have no more worries if we will make the trip or not. I kept the yukon for family outings but the Ram is my tow vehicle. So go with the 2500 and relax and enjoy your trips.

+1
Identical experience. 2500 / 6.4 Hemi rocks.

Toddz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, I just picked up a 2018 Cummins 2500, I haven't changed my profile yet.

All I can say, after the 550 km drive home, is WOW. 850 ft lb torque, ride is amazing, it will tow anything I will ever own. We got 20 mpg at highway speeds unloaded.

Super happy with it. The Hemi's are great, but have around half the torque, and the potential for the cam lifter failure. I would have bought a Hemi but that issue scares me.

From what I can find, with a Hemi, do oil changes every 3000 km, use top quality oil, top quality filters, don't let them idle too much, and it seems the MDS could be the cause of the problem, but, it does not make sense to me why.

I started a thread called "Are the current Hemi Motors still eating cams and lifters" if you want to read what people are saying.

The Cummins is more than I need, and costs more, but, it has great resale, and is super reliable. When towing, not sure there is "too much". The 2500 has a stiffer frame, better brakes, more power. The Cummins has engine braking.
The important thing is you got what you want and it will more than meet your needs. I agree it is amazing how these Ram trucks handle. Congratulations

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Thanks, I am not trying to hijack this thread... I was just hoping to share my thoughts, best of luck on your decision to buy a great truck

jfspry58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Bruce Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Cummins Diesel for towing is awesome, however if you are only towing part time, I would recommend the gas 6.4 motor, 2500. You would have to drive a helluva a lot to get to breakeven, gas is less expensive than diesel and cost of maintenance is higher with the diesel. Oil changes, diesel fuel filters to change and blu def costs. Unless you do your own maintenance this will add up! I have a 3500 mega cab cummins single rear wheel and I love it for towing my fifth wheel! I know a dully would be better, but its a daily driver too, Towing 18,000 fully loaded!
Good Luck! Happy Trails!

Bruce Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good Luck! Happy Trails!

Bruce Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I understand your practicality Runner06 in respect to diesel verses Gas.But I think you are like everyone who owns or has owned the present generation RAM CTD, "I love it" says it all. When people pay $70,000.00 plus for a heavy duty pickup these days, are we really worried about fuel cost, oil changes,DEF cost and filter charges.
I say, if you want the best then go for it.
RAM CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL ROCKS!

KenOfAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my 2020 new body style, club cab, 2 wheel drive, Hemi Bighorn brand new for $31K. It has the 3.92 limited slip gears and trailer brake. If I recall it has just shy of 12K towing capacity. It has power windows including power rear slider window, adjustable pedals, power seat, etc. I have seen some dealers offer some smoking deals here in Arizona. You might find exactly what you want at a reasonable price at your local dealership.