Which Tail Lights to go for (and some electrical questions)

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Fishstickz, Aug 8, 2019.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. Fishstickz

Fishstickz Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    My old tail lights are about to kick the bucket, so I'm shopping for some newer LED tail lights. I'm not wanting anything too fancy, just smoked black housing LEDs. I'm also trying to spend less than $150 them. I hear anzo is pretty good but they're a bit out of my price range. Is there any other brand that I can rely on to not break after 2 years?

Also kinda unrelated, but maybe someone with electrical knowledge can help me out. My 2006 has the 3-bulb setup, and I'd really like to change to the 2-bulb setup of the 07's and 08's. The wiring diagrams show the wiring is identical except for 1 extra wire on the 02-06's, which controls the extra brake light. Everything else is exactly the same. So I'm wondering what if I got rid of that extra brake wire, and simply ran two brake/turn/tail wires into the tail light. Here's a badly-edited mock-up of it on a wiring diagram. Do y'all even think this could work? I'm not much of an electrician
    06wiring.jpg

Don't ask me why I'm really wanting the 2-bulb system, cuz I don't have a good answer. OCD I guess lol

2. lpennock

lpennock Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
    Not as simple as just tieing the wires together.

First problem if brake light is on the turn signal will not be able to strobe the light. This can be solved by using a relay that breaks the brake light line when the turn signal turns on.

Now you need to explore how to make it work with the brake light off.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

3. HemiLonestar

HemiLonestar Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi