Who do you believe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
There's no way he's towing 10k lbs. like he said in the video and getting that mpg. Running empty though I could see it happening for some.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If he's towing 10k, then he is going down a long hill to get 29 mpg.
Running empty that mpg is very dooable on the eco.

genogator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
But then there is the 3 weeks to get a new EGR cooler and the intake manifold that got burnt up when the EGR cooler failed. The service (factory trained) fails to replace the coolant lines that run underneath the intaje nanifold that melted so that's another $1000 labor and $7 worth of parts when the intake has to be removed to replace the coolant line! New tubes, new def pumps ect...ect...ect. 3 or 4 times a year it's in the shop for a week or more getting repaired.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Just so happens that I have a 2017 EcoD with the 3.92 gears myself. If the OP is going downhill with a tailwind he may get that mileage towing 10K. On the other hand, I just returned from Burning Man with about 1800 miles round trip and towing the trailer in my pic which is ~6K. My total mileage was 15.5 per the computer. Before the flaming begins, I do not hand calculate and rely on the computer exclusively. These engines are amazing but not 29mpg towing 10K amazing.
Canyon

Scotty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a 2021 eco diesel with 392 rear that has gotten 31.1 highway unloaded, About a year ago I pulled a 24 ft enclosed car trailer loaded from Phoenix to Tucson and back at 65 mph top speed and averaged 24 mpg , no wind and I drive very conservative , That’s actually a big load for that truck and I wouldn’t want to try to go to Flagstaff , I added air bags with 65 psi , this is a mostly level ground slightly up hill to Tucson .

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i first drove off the dealership lot 2016 Ram eco-diesel on January 16th, it had been dropped off by car hauler that morning.
In July i drove to Connecticut, i got 27 MPG
during that trip, Ram ordered a change in Oil Viscosity, from 5W-30 to 15W-40.
The Ram only had about 4,000 miles on it & i changed oil at that time.

I returned to San Diego & the Gov't decided that Ram lied on documents & made them drop the MPG to something like 20 MPG, sometime after that, a law suite was filed & the Gov't gave us back some of the MPG that was lost, along with a nice Cashiers Check.

On the open highway, i think i get 23 MPG now

The whole deal with the Gov't making us lose the MPG, was not because Ram made something illegal when they built the Eco-diesel.
The Gov't just wanted to punish Ram, for not filling out the correct USA Approved Paperwork back in 2014 model year

Last edited:

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
To Genogator, this is my second Ram 1500 with an Ecodiesel. The first was a 2016 I purchased with 30,000 miles
and when I bought it I didn't know the EGR Cooler was cracked until I started loosing coolant. I was on vacation in
Northern MN and took it to the dealer in Bemidji. This was back in the spring of 2017 when the problem was just
becoming a major issue. I was given a loaner vehicle even though I had never been to the dealer prior to that
failure and within 7 days my vehicle was repaired. Cost to me was the $100 deductible on my service contract. because
of the later national recall I probably could have recovered the $100 from FCA but didn't bother. Other than the
software upgrades I never had another issue with that vehicle and at 125,000 miles I traded for my 2020. I've got
almost 60,000 miles on my Limited and have had zero problems. There is one recall outstanding for the high pressure
fuel pump but have not experience any other issues. As for fuel economy, every year I made 2500 mile round
trips from Texas to MN, in the spring I would pull my boat and would consistently get between 16 to 18 mpg depending
on the direction of the wind. On my other road trips without the boat, I would average between 26 and 28 depending
on speed and where I was. I agree there is no way someone pulling a trailer could get 29mpg but the Ecodiesel
gets a hell of alot better fuel economy than the Hemi...and not everyone has the eco problems you claim.

HotsauceED

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Best i've seen is 32.5mpg that was on a 140mile trip doing 70mph unloaded - zero percent chance of that towing unless it was all downhill

g000se53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco-diesel
I pull about 8,200 lb camper with my 2019 eco diesel and get about 14-16 on level ground. I wonder if he has any aftermarket addons ?