Who else loves that they're continuing on with the Ram classic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My next truck would be a different brand if they didn't . New ones look like an over grown Tacoma to me

reefer451

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
why is this a good thing?
Looks, maybe. well, DEFINITELY looks, the newest are ugly.

But besides looks...
other threads warn against buying a series in its last year - or after its third year. The theory is that the bugs have been taken out, sure, but the bean counters and efficiency experts have cheapened materials substitutions and shortcuts such that quality is an issue. Also that early bugs have been fixed but latter bugs ignored.

Just a conspiracy theory, but not my idea. Just repeating what the community have said in other threads about which years to buy and which years not to buy.

Using their theory, how is it that a classic in 2020 is a safe bet for quality?
I've never heard that & completely doubt it. In my experience the last couple of years of production are the best. My '84 RX7 GSL-SE was the next to last year of that model, probably the best car I've ever owned. My '13 C6 Vette was the last year, it's been great so far. I see absolutely no indication that anything was substituted or shortcuts taken. Given the extensive testing and qualification work necessary for every part that goes into a vehicle, the manufactures are loath to change anything. Better to spend all your resources on the new model and let the old model keep on chugging along. For the same reasons, we will never see a gen 4 truck with a gen 5 interior.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
The GEN 5's don't excite me and neither did the GEN 4 rebels. BUT the new GEN 5 rebels have gotten my attention! Regardless, I don't plan on getting a new truck till at least 2023, so we'll see what is available then.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the 5th gen interiors are fantastic, but like others I’m not fully sold on the exterior appearance. Here is my classic next to a 5th gen this morning. To me the classic just has more of the look that I like.

473588DA-CF37-416B-9789-87F303C88C98.jpeg

Luau_Pig

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought my classic a month ago after my 2015 got totaled in an accident. Had both 2019 models. Same blackout packages parked side by side. Love the new interiors but the 4th Gen just has a tougher exterior appearance in my eyes.

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I'm a big fan of the Gen 4 styling and would not buy the new style truck. They sure have a nice interior but I just can't get around the exterior style.

I would like to see RAM add the on demand transfer case as an option to the SLT/Warlock line as I would buy one in a heartbeat.

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The STD Cab 1500 comes out of Mexico. The potential tariffs in the 2017 model year made Ram want to quit the STD Cab 1500. I ordered & got mine delivered with 5.0 Uconnect, hitch, 5.7 Hemi, rear camera & electric locks for $26k. They had a huge rebate on them since they’re trying to get as many parts out of Mx before tariffs kicked in. Tariffs didn’t happen so extra STD Cab parts & full production are still being made. We’ll see if anything changes with the new USMCA Trade agreement.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
But besides looks...
other threads warn against buying a series in its last year - or after its third year. The theory is that the bugs have been taken out, sure, but the bean counters and efficiency experts have cheapened materials substitutions and shortcuts such that quality is an issue. Also that early bugs have been fixed but latter bugs ignored.

Just a conspiracy theory, but not my idea. Just repeating what the community have said in other threads about which years to buy and which years not to buy.

As a generation matures, not only are bugs worked out but enhancements are made like more horsepower & torque, better tech, upgraded styling, etc. Refinement continues.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Happy to hear that news! They'll sell the heck out of them as long as they continue to make em.

bighorn11t.JPG

I liked the way the "new" 2019s drove but both models I test drove blew "cool" air not cold. I'll stay away from the new 2019s for a few years until they get all the bugs worked out. Plus they're BUTT UGLY. My "new" 2011 will do me for now just fine and it looks great. GRAB LIFE BY THE HORNS!

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a Classic Express.Not a fan of the new look.

Propman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wasn’t opposed to the new RAM but had to have a regular cab short bed 4x4 and so we ordered the classic.

And they DO look a helluva lot better in my opinion

moparX2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm a Muscle Car guy with Two modified Challengers (2009 & 2016 & classic Camaro). When I got into the truck enthusiast side July 2018; I purposely sought a 2015 or 2016 (4th Gen). I don't care for the Exterior of the Gen 5 Ram Trucks (that's just my choice)… I bought a 2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab (Chrome Bumpers, etc...). I immediately changed it with Sport Hood & Body Color Bumpers, Black Badging, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler, and Tunnel Cover (for starters LOL).

I think the Gen 5 Ram Body looks similar to the GM & Ford. The RAM Grille is the only thing on the New Ram I actually like. That's not enough for me to pull the and buy it.

I love my Gen 4 RAM, and drive it as my Daily with Scat Pack in the garage.

Last edited: