Who Makes / Where to Find Bed Storage Boxes - Left and Right behind wheel well Boxes for 2022 2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
All I am seeing are various version of these boxes for 1500s and some 2500 and 3500 up to year models 2021.

I am not finding any, of many advertised (probably all from the same Chines company under different names/distributers) .. anyway, none are advertised for fitting 2022 or later 2500 or 3500 beds.

? = are they all the same?

Any help for ones that fit my RAM 2022 Power Wagon.

1702963447906.png

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I got a set of these and I love them. They are in the right place to reach the tools when needed. Although I'm tall enough to reach anything a traditional style bed box that fits under the rear window, these make life much easier.
Pros: These can be very easily removed if needed. The tools are right there when they are swung out. Great for loading down with ice and hoppy, ****** canned beverages. Everything stays dry.
Cons: The plastic from almost all of the vendors is pretty flimsy. A good manly tug from a dude wearing gloves will open them. They stick out a bit too much and should fit up under the lip of the bed. They are orientated backwards from how they should be if you want them more secure. The included hardware is crap. They make a lot of noise when driving on uneven surfaces.
Due to the cons, I fully intend to adjust mine where the top can't be opened so the hinge is towards the middle of the bed so the bed lip prevents them from being opened if not unlocked and swung out. I'll also be redesigning the mounting bracket and mount position of the box and hinge so they are snug up under the bed lid and at least even with the wheel well if not recessed a little more than the wheel well. For my installation, I immediately ditched the included hardware because if someone wanted to steel the kits, all they would need is a crescent wrench or pair of pliers. Instead of standard self tappers, I used well nuts and bolts with security fittings (torx plus) so potential thieves would need to have a good tool kit with a variety of tools if they want mine. I've also come up with a way to reduce the noise. There are a lot of metal on metal contact areas, specifically the rod that hold the boxes in place. As soon as I get a chance, I'll be putting some shrink tubing over the rod to dampen the noise and hopefully it will be tough enough to last. I also plan to line the inside of the boxes with foam sheeting so the tools aren't clanging around so much. If I get the time, I am looking at redesigning the locks so they have an arm that goes out both directions lengthwise and fit holes that I intend to drill to lock the lid better. The flexible plastic and swing arm cabinet lock are a low hanging fruit for thieves. Ultimately, a tonneau cover would fit nicely and eliminate mos of the cons and areas of concern.

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
All I am seeing are various version of these boxes for 1500s and some 2500 and 3500 up to year models 2021.

I am not finding any, of many advertised (probably all from the same Chines company under different names/distributers) .. anyway, none are advertised for fitting 2022 or later 2500 or 3500 beds.

View attachment 533708
In my search for a set tat would fit my 2012, I found that they are universal. You'll want to get better hardware anyway. Definitely get something that would cause potential thieves to go back to their tool kit and start digging. I used torx plus security bolts because not everyone carries those in their tools, and I used well nuts to dampen the clanging and banging from the kits bouncing in the bed. Mine are about maxed out with weight. I have to assist them by lifting up on them when locking in place.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
anyway, none are advertised for fitting 2022 or later 2500 or 3500 beds.
The 6.4' and 8' bed is still the same one use since 2009, the HD trucks are known as a DJ body. The Gen4 1500 is a DS body, I've attached the drawing of the bed(note the file name designation). The only difference between the pre '19 truck is the tailgate, the newer trucks use electric latches/release.

Attachments

• Ram_DS DJ D2 box drawing 6.4 _all+.pdf
    422.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
ANGLICO

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
@GTyankee @crash68 @ConorToot

Thank you, again. Why I come here and enjoy the variety of advice and detail on engineering, installation and experience with the topic being discussed. -----> Especially when it comes to upgrading fasteners and the little items or design defects from the manufactures.

Its a lot easier (less pain) and a whole hell of a lot $$$ cheaper to come here, sort through the advice/information, make an informed decision and act, than to just pretend I know what the hell I am doing.

I especially appreciate the "bed dimensions" and confirmation that these are pretty much universal, and my tape measure is still telling me some truth.

This is one of the best forums I belong to.

Best. Stay sane out there.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OP
OP
ANGLICO

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
The 6.4' and 8' bed is still the same one use since 2009, the HD trucks are known as a DJ body. The Gen4 1500 is a DS body, I've attached the drawing of the bed(note the file name designation). The only difference between the pre '19 truck is the tailgate, the newer trucks use electric latches/release.
Very much appreciate the bed diagram. I'm giving consideration to future configuration (storage, racking and stacking, or such) for Overlanding bed configuration. I'm not a pack rat = travel light, freeze at night, but this will help me do some additional drawings for fabrication.

OP
OP
ANGLICO

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi

View attachment 533708
1703017915450.png

I'm just looking for a "sanity check."

PRICE POINT versus quality or (is it all the same produced in China and marketed differently?)

Everything I'm finding looks almost EXACTLY the same.

Above: I can get both sides, Driver's and Passenger's, for around $130. This was about the cheapest I found on Amazon/Ebay.

Below: This UnderCover (Set for both sides) will cost me around $440...... at $219 a side, for plastic. For that price, I'd like cheap stamped metal, at least. They look exactly the same as the cheapest versions for sale. The reviews read about the same.

I'll keep reading the online reviews, but I really don't see an added $300 in value in the UnderCover route. As per @ConorToot Post (above on this thread), I can happily pitter around with my tools and fabricate $300 worth of fun making a cheap set work.

1703017180165.png

OP
OP
ANGLICO

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
All the same.....................

Attachments

• 1703032832375.png
    1703032832375.png
    229.2 KB · Views: 6

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had them on my 2018. After about 2 years one of the brackets broke (PS) and it hung at an angle when "swung out." Before I traded it in for my current 2023 I had removed them both and filled the holes with JB Weld...that with a touch of a sharpee and it was invisible. If you have too much weight they'll eventually break. I had a small compressor and patch kit in the side that broke. The other side had small hand tools and gloves.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had them on my 2018. After about 2 years one of the brackets broke (PS) and it hung at an angle when "swung out." Before I traded it in for my current 2023 I had removed them both and filled the holes with JB Weld...that with a touch of a sharpee and it was invisible. If you have too much weight they'll eventually break. I had a small compressor and patch kit in the side that broke. The other side had small hand tools and gloves.
This is why, in my Undercover Swing Case, I only carry a socket set, some pliers, a couple screwdrivers, some flares, and a few other minor tools. Since I'll never be able to carry enough to do much more than tighten nuts and screws and replace fuses while I'm on the road, there is really no point in trying to haul along an entire shop with me.

I have some tow chains tossed up in the front of the bed, and my snow chains, small compressor, fire extinguisher, and first aid kit are all behind the seat.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the Undercover Swing Case brand for the passenger side of my 1500, it's been on a few years at this point, and it lives full time with a bottle jack, tow strap, full socket tool roll, and some random odds and ends. No cracks, swings perfectly.

OP
OP
ANGLICO

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I looked for something like these for about 2 years and gave up. I didn't really like the build and installation on any of them. This is a link to ones that I wanted to install in my truck, but didn't feel like trying to modify. https://accessories.chevrolet.com/p...k-with-codeable-key-(passenger-side)-84705345
Those are a "nifty" (people still use that word?) use of space.

Drawback on those would be the constant messing with the bed cover for full access.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
ANGLICO

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Last edited:
OP
OP
ANGLICO

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Final post, for now.

BiG difference between the most expensive Undercover Swing and the cheapest ones appears to be that Undercover includes a second keyed lock per case that keeps the case from being lifted off the hinges.

None of the videos I watched compared the quality of materials against a price range.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Final post, for now.

BiG difference between the most expensive Undercover Swing and the cheapest ones appears to be that Undercover includes a second keyed lock per case that keeps the case from being lifted off the hinges.

None of the videos I watched compared the quality of materials against a price range.
Although I have the Undercover Swing Case and I like it, in the interest of disclosure that hinge lock that comes with it is only to keep the honest people honest. It's just a plastic cylinder that simply sits over the hinge to keep the tool box from being able to be lifted off. If someone really wants it, they're strong enough and they have 30 seconds, they can just tear it off the hinges.