Why do I feel like my Hemi doesn't run like a Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Took my truck to the mechanic and he said is wasn't marking any codes but that he did see that the bottom of my transmission had been like sealed with silicon, so he says that, the transmission has definetly been opened. I told him about the diesel noise and told him to floor it so he could experience it for himself. He then called me later and said it started doing the diesel noise and he says that its probably being cause by not enough oil reaching the pistons. Says he is going to have to remove the "head" or headers? i duno. He speaks spanish and im not sure exactly what he meant. Ok so he'll remove it and clean out all the mess on it(tar i think he said?) and then seal the holes??? So I asked him how much he would charge me to do all this, said $250. I don't think its much but i duno?

So he said my transmission has been opened before and ALSO my engine. I bought this truck 2 years ago and wasn't mentioned anything about this when I bought it(of course). :/ bummer. Truck staying at the shop til further notice from mechanic.

Perfect, the only one I allow to do work for me that I can't understand is my Doctor. Damned if I even know where he's from. He's a good looking fellow with the tattoos and percings thing going on and besides he isn't all that busy and hell he'll do a bypass for a small pig and a couple of chickens. As for your truck, yeah I would leave there while the head is off. Although maybe you could talk (interpreter required) him into only doing one side at a time. That way you wouldn't be without your ride. The last thing I would consider is taking it to a mechanic that had like a sign or something hanging out front saying they actually work on dodges.

OBTW, for a very small fee my mechanic will make house calls.....
philippinemountainbike2.jpg

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I dunno about the diesel thing, but its not uncommon for the tranny to have silicon on it. If you open up the tranny to change the fluid you have to use gasket maker silicon to seal it back up. Maybe whoever did it was messy or something but if your fluid looks fine and its shifting okay that wouldn't worry me too much.

As far as your code you should try this.

Reset the Throttle Positions Sensor. Our Hemis have a electronic throttle, you can reset it by turning the key to run (do not start the engine). Wait till all the lights go out, the engine light will stay on. Slowly press the gas pedal all the way to the floor, then slowly lift it back up. Turn the key back off, then start the truck again.

Another thing the code points to is the so called MAP or MAF (Mass airflow/pressure sensor), well Hemi's dont have one, but we do have an Intake Air Temperature sensor. Look at the air intake, partway up the tube there is a wiring connector with two wires going in to the tube. The sensor is right there. No what I would do is take off the intake, grab some electrical parts cleaner and blast that sensor till it looks clean. If I can remember the sensor is blue when its clean. Once you got that done put it back together after its dry and see if that helped at all.

And from what the code said you should make sure your air filter is clean or new.

I had a Cadillac that went crazy and threw emissions codes and limped around every once in awhile, I cleaned the MAF sensor and it went away permanently.

Sorry if any of this has been said before I dont wanna read 10 pages lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perfect, the only one I allow to do work for me that I can't understand is my Doctor. Damned if I even know where he's from. He's a good looking fellow with the tattoos and percings thing going on and besides he isn't all that busy and hell he'll do a bypass for a small pig and a couple of chickens. As for your truck, yeah I would leave there while the head is off. Although maybe you could talk (interpreter required) him into only doing one side at a time. That way you wouldn't be without your ride. The last thing I would consider is taking it to a mechanic that had like a sign or something hanging out front saying they actually work on dodges.

OBTW, for a very small fee my mechanic will make house calls.....
philippinemountainbike2.jpg

haha well I know spanish its just that i dont know mechanic terms in spanish. Oh and there's no shops here that like specialize in dodge other than the dodge dealer but hell no, they are super expensive and charge per hour.

hahaha that looks like manny pacquiao lol.

Well I dunno about the diesel thing, but its not uncommon for the tranny to have silicon on it. If you open up the tranny to change the fluid you have to use gasket maker silicon to seal it back up. Maybe whoever did it was messy or something but if your fluid looks fine and its shifting okay that wouldn't worry me too much.

As far as your code you should try this.

Reset the Throttle Positions Sensor. Our Hemis have a electronic throttle, you can reset it by turning the key to run (do not start the engine). Wait till all the lights go out, the engine light will stay on. Slowly press the gas pedal all the way to the floor, then slowly lift it back up. Turn the key back off, then start the truck again.

Another thing the code points to is the so called MAP or MAF (Mass airflow/pressure sensor), well Hemi's dont have one, but we do have an Intake Air Temperature sensor. Look at the air intake, partway up the tube there is a wiring connector with two wires going in to the tube. The sensor is right there. No what I would do is take off the intake, grab some electrical parts cleaner and blast that sensor till it looks clean. If I can remember the sensor is blue when its clean. Once you got that done put it back together after its dry and see if that helped at all.

And from what the code said you should make sure your air filter is clean or new.

I had a Cadillac that went crazy and threw emissions codes and limped around every once in awhile, I cleaned the MAF sensor and it went away permanently.

Sorry if any of this has been said before I dont wanna read 10 pages lol

lol its cool Believe i'm not going back thru those pages either lol. I had reset the PCM though, but i will try what you told me once i get my truck back.

So does everyone this $250 is too much for what he is going to do?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
haha well I know spanish its just that i dont know mechanic terms in spanish. Oh and there's no shops here that like specialize in dodge other than the dodge dealer but hell no, they are super expensive and charge per hour.

hahaha that looks like manny pacquiao lol.

lol its cool Believe i'm not going back thru those pages either lol. I had reset the PCM though, but i will try what you told me once i get my truck back.

So does everyone this $250 is too much for what he is going to do?

Brother, I'll do you a favor and NOT tell Manny you said that he looks like this guy. You already have enough problems with just getting your truck fixed. My guess is $250 is just about right for what you will be getting done. IMO, I'd give him a week or two and start looking for a new ride....

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dunno 250 to pull the head seems to little....

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Daniel, the towing bill to get the truck hauled from that place is going to be more than $250. There is little chance this has a happy ending....

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Naw I think it's fixable, might come out a bit more than $250 after all though.

Daniel you think to pull the head off should be more than $250?"

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man it cost more than 250 for anything you get done just about.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
At $250 and a semi normaly shop rate from anywhere to $65-$99 per hour I doubt he is quoting you right. If you have pulled these motors apart a few times you could pull the heads in 4 hours and be on your way to reistalling but thats if you have done it a few times and have the correct tools. I would seriously worry about a sketch shop pulling my heads on anything much less my Hemi. You also have to factor in new head bolts and head gaskets along with manifold gaskets if he pulls the manifolds. It sounds like the guy might have no idea whats wrong so he wants to start pulling stuff apart and hope he stumbles into something.

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
oh ****, well i sure hope he does know what he is doing. He sounded pretty sure that is whats causing the problem. And I remember some other mechanic along time ago had told me that the diesel noise was being caused by not enough oil reaching the pistons, so that's two mechanics saying that. And for some reason that just sounds right because the oil temp goes all the way down when this happens

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Unless you have a diff inst cluster then me which im also an 04 only thing it shows for oil is oil pressure. If you have dropped oil pressure and kept driving it your motor is gonna be damaged. It could be the pistons making noise, or valve train,,, or your bout to spin a bearing on the crank. Keep us posted for sure so he doesnt try yanking you around. Will the shop allow you to look at the motor while there pulling it down?

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh yes my bad I meant the oil pressure gauge is the one that drops. My uncle told me about first like doing some type of flush and adding some fluid so it could destroy all the dirt and mess in there and that would probably help or fix the problem, so I mentioned this to the mechanic and he said he could do that but said it won't help because my engine has built up alot of mess and this is why it does the diesel noise so bad that now he needs to open it and do it himself.

Mechanic also said he has done this on other Rams before and said that he has fixed 2 Chargers for the same problem as well and that what he is going to do to my truck has fixed the problem for all these vehicles. So he's pretty sure this will get the job done which makes me feel more relaxed because if it doesn't get fixed with that I have what he told me to back me up.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope for your sake it works out, I would be pulling my ******* over my face right about now If I were in your spot.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Come on guys, don't you feel a little tug on the line with all this? lol

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
haha I know man i'm pretty worried but than again some other part of me tells me my truck will be perfectly fine after this, which I hope so sooooo bad. I miss my truck already. Tomorrow he'll start so probably won't get my truck til like monday afternoon :/

Oh and KGBIGCOUNTRY, I'm sure he won't say anything if I am there while they are working on it.

BigMike005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took my truck to the mechanic and he said is wasn't marking any codes but that he did see that the bottom of my transmission had been like sealed with silicon, so he says that, the transmission has definetly been opened. I told him about the diesel noise and told him to floor it so he could experience it for himself. He then called me later and said it started doing the diesel noise and he says that its probably being cause by not enough oil reaching the pistons. Says he is going to have to remove the "head" or headers? i duno. He speaks spanish and im not sure exactly what he meant. Ok so he'll remove it and clean out all the mess on it(tar i think he said?) and then seal the holes??? So I asked him how much he would charge me to do all this, said $250. I don't think its much but i duno?

So he said my transmission has been opened before and ALSO my engine. I bought this truck 2 years ago and wasn't mentioned anything about this when I bought it(of course). :/ bummer. Truck staying at the shop til further notice from mechanic.

Yo vic if ur mechanic friend is talking about sludge built up, drop in a can of SEAFOAM...... it should clean it out.....

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Make sure your oil pickup does not get clogged when he flushes it... that happens alot.

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I wanted to try the seafoam but its too late now, he already started working on it. I actually just came back from the shop. He showed me the oil pan and the covers and some lil filter that goes inside the oil pan and they superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr filthy. There's metal all over the oil pan too from the metal that holds the pistons. When i'm driving at regular speed the oil flows perfectly but when I floor it the oil of course starts to flow faster but since its filthy with the old burned and stuck oil and all the metal, it all gets stuck thru the lil filter inside the oil pump and that's what is causing the problem. He said he can just clean it all out but since its too filthy that it'll give me problems later and i'd probably end up paying more later, which is true. So therefore he said i'd have to replace the gaskets for the heads or covers or whatever, the gaskets for the oil pan and the metals for the pistons. Said parts should come out to $271 total and labor $439 total of $710. When in the beggining he had said $250 but now he's replacing the parts not just cleaning them.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Amigo, I still think you are just pulling our leg with this whole thread.....

1st round $250.
2nd round $710
Anyone want to guess for the third round?
Any thoughts about where all that nasty metal is coming from?
The gaskets and fluids costs are close to the parts price quoted......
How do you say "I've been ******" in spanish?

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Vic, don't listen to all this negative man. Just stay involved with what's going on with your truck. Whatever the problem is, it's going to cost some $$$ to get it fixed, and if this guy has already pulled the pan and found all that, he probably knows what he's dling. The sludge/metal filings are prolly blocking some kind of oil passage to lubricate your pistons. I've never pulled an engine apart, but it sounds about right to me.