Why do I feel like my Hemi doesn't run like a Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
your oil is low
mine does that when it gets down th 2 quarts left in the engine

you let you oil level get that low or do you have a leak? i spaz if i get close to a qt low

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
i try to make it a habit to check the oil level every time i fill up. it takes 30 seconds if that, and you find out about problems before they exist. while the hood is open i do a quick scan for other low fluids and possibly worn belts.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
check the engine bay...yes
clean the engine bay...ill pass

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Your deff having an oil feed issue. Do like everyone has said to check the level and cycle the key for a code. Did your mechanic give you an invoice of stuff performed during the tune up?

BigMike005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My question is how long did it run like that??? making the diesel sound.... knock knock knock knock...tick tick tick tick tick....... definetly an oil issue vic....dont even turn it on.....

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should be able to do a key cycle and check for a code. Put the key in the ignition and turn it on (but not starting the truck) then off, then on, then off then on quickly and a code should pop up where your odometer is and see if it gives you a code (it will either say DONE and flash "-----" which means there are no codes, or it will give you a "Pxxxx" code, write that down and post it up. I have heard if the "check gauges" light comes on there is something else than just a low gauge. One guy had to replace his whole cluster to get it working again. I'll see if I cant track down the post on another site.

Basically though it is pointless to do anything else to your truck to make it go faster until you get the "Check Gauges" light to go away permenately. Check for codes using the key trick I posted up and then check your oil, your mechanic may have only put 5qts in, while the HEMI takes 7qts so that may solve the issue but if there are codes it might be something worse and much more $$$

AF - Damn that truck is slow, those big ass tires are just not doing anything for youeven with that cam in there. Your truck and Okla's look very close though, would be a closer race than you guys think.

I tried the cycle but there was no codes other than all the other stuff that usually lights up. I didn't see no "----" either though.

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I checked the oil level. It's perfectly fine. I do not have an oil leak. And also I tried doing the cycle(on,off,on,off,on) but no code at all. I turned on my truck and was still making the Diesel noise but very lil only. The oil temp gauge was back up to normal and truck was running fine. As of now my truck sounds how it sounds normally. Once I remember my truck was doing this diesel problem and a mechanic looked at it and said that it's probably because my pistons? aren't getting oil? I believe that's what he told me. Not sure because this was quite a while back and i've gone thru many mechanics so it's confusing who told me what.

Your deff having an oil feed issue. Do like everyone has said to check the level and cycle the key for a code. Did your mechanic give you an invoice of stuff performed during the tune up?

I dont have the invoice anymore :/

My question is how long did it run like that??? making the diesel sound.... knock knock knock knock...tick tick tick tick tick....... definetly an oil issue vic....dont even turn it on.....

Well it might have been for about 10 minutes because I drove a bit far to try the truck on the expressway and when I floored it I had to drive back so about 10 minutes. :/

i try to make it a habit to check the oil level every time i fill up. it takes 30 seconds if that, and you find out about problems before they exist. while the hood is open i do a quick scan for other low fluids and possibly worn belts.

Good tip. I'll do this from now on. Thanks Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the pump itself isnt too bad, but the labor to get to it is what will hurt. maybe roughly $400 or so

Fukken **** man. That's expensive. I guess I just need to go to a mechanic that knows his stuff, and then get him in the truck with me and floor it and get the check gauges to come on that he can take a look at it and see what he says and i'll let everyone on here know see if sounds right. Oil Pump sounds like the problem though :/

bluesmanjesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your oil pump is going out,DO NOT FLOOR IT!! get it checked/replaced before you turn your truck into a useless yard ornament.....

..... I swear if this is Frog under an alter ego messin with us I'm gonna mail him a bomb,lol

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Victor, I'm 100% sure its something to do with the oil system. If you floor it, or even drive it very much farther, you risk LOSING THE ENGINE. $400 is better than $4000 for a new engine.

OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your oil pump is going out,DO NOT FLOOR IT!! get it checked/replaced before you turn your truck into a useless yard ornament.....

..... I swear if this is Frog under an alter ego messin with us I'm gonna mail him a bomb,lol

The thing is I don't know if it is the oil pump. How do you find out if it is the oil pump?

who frog? what? lol

Victor, I'm 100% sure its something to do with the oil system. If you floor it, or even drive it very much farther, you risk LOSING THE ENGINE. $400 is better than $4000 for a new engine.

Very true. $4000 would suck knowing I could of used it on lots of upgrades

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The thing is I don't know if it is the oil pump. How do you find out if it is the oil pump?

who frog? what? lol

Very true. $4000 would suck knowing I could of used it on lots of upgrades

Go to your mechanic and get his opinion on it. If its not the oil pump i'll be surprised. If for some reason its not, all you've done by not really driving it is had a little nuisance. the alternative is driving it regularly and risking losing the engine completely. Oil is NOT something to jack around with

RubberFrog is one of the mods on here. He's known for being one hilarious SOB full of witty, stupid remarks and playing tricks on people. He's a stud--although not half the stud his truck is. I'm sure you'll get to know him pretty quick.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Victor... If you want to continue enjoying your truck, specifically... driving it lol! Take it to a mechanic and FAST! Tell them everything it's doing, and let us know what they're telling you. We'll make sure you don't get "bent over" by your mechanic. Ie: Muffler bearings bad, blinker fluid low, piston return springs need replacing, or maybe they'll recommend some upgraded cross-drilled brake lines to go with those new rotors, or maybe a new adjustable power band. Lol We'll help ya out man!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black Hemi Demon

Black Hemi Demon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to your mechanic and get his opinion on it. If its not the oil pump i'll be surprised. If for some reason its not, all you've done by not really driving it is had a little nuisance. the alternative is driving it regularly and risking losing the engine completely. Oil is NOT something to jack around with

RubberFrog is one of the mods on here. He's known for being one hilarious SOB full of witty, stupid remarks and playing tricks on people. He's a stud--although not half the stud his truck is. I'm sure you'll get to know him pretty quick.

Yeah i defintely do not wanna lose the engine. Yeah I think i've seen some of his posts. Sounds like him lol.

Victor... If you want to continue enjoying your truck, specifically... driving it lol! Take it to a mechanic and FAST! Tell them everything it's doing, and let us know what they're telling you. We'll make sure you don't get "bent over" by your mechanic. Ie: Muffler bearings bad, blinker fluid low, piston return springs need replacing, or maybe they'll recommend some upgraded cross-drilled brake lines to go with those new rotors, or maybe a new adjustable power band. Lol We'll help ya out man!

Sweetness, I'll take my truck on thursday and let you all know everything he says. Weather he seems he knows his stuff or weather I should slap him silly and look elsewhere haha

I'm not flooring it no more til I get this fixed, for sure.

I get the "frog" thing now. haha well I sure hope he's not messing with us either

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Victor, How's that diesel thingy going for you? I hear diesels make a lot more power than gas. Yep, and is your oil temperature still misbehaving? I don't have one of those, but it sounds important. Everyone says you have a oil problem, but if you changed oil 4 months ago it should be ok. Maybe your Cat has gone bad, I don't think they work good anyway. But if it really starts smoking I would call your mechanic. Mine, won't make house calls. lol So maybe get the number for a roll back just to be safe and keep it in the truck just in case. No need to worry about a little smoke, sometimes when you push hard on the gas the tires get hot or something. Did you buy your truck new? Maybe you could check the VIN and see if it might be a diesel. That would explain a lot of your problems. I really like the color.

You guys have been had....