Why does full engine brake turn off when you turn truck off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Why does full engine brake turn off when you turn truck off? Why cant it stay on all the time so I don't have to keep turning it back on after turning off the truck?

2015 RAM 2500HD 6.7L CUMMINS

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ol Jake is easy on the brakes but hard on the engine, you sure you want that on all the time? Most truckers including myself only use it when necessary as opposed to all the time. Sorry I don't know the exact reason for your question. Not 100% sure why even use it unless towing heavy, just curious.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Might even be a law thing, many places in residential neighborhoods outlaw engine brakes because of the noise. Is it noisy on a 2500? Nevermind, I see now it isnt a true exhaust brake.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Though I'd prefer the exhaust brake remembered it's last setting, I wish even more that Tow/Haul, and Cruise would.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Why does full engine brake turn off when you turn truck off? Why cant it stay on all the time so I don't have to keep turning it back on after turning off the truck?

2015 RAM 2500HD 6.7L CUMMINS
Safety factor, if it was on all the time some fool would try to sue FCA if they got in a wreck on a slick roads, if you have to turn it on you can't blame them if you slid off the road because you failed to turn it off while on an icy road...FCA is covering there back side...

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I used my exhaust faithfully evrrytime I drove my 2016 3500 . It is an amazing feature and keeps the actuator on the turbo from seizing . However it is critical that you can turn it off ., others said because of slippery roads and I can attest to that . Hit a patch off black ice lifted my foot off the go pedal, wham the brake kicks in ass end locks up and away I go . Two 360 ies and soiled underwear and lesson learned , be aware of road conditions. Because it's not tied into the abs it just locks up , not good .

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Though I'd prefer the exhaust brake remembered it's last setting, I wish even more that Tow/Haul, and Cruise would.
Why? It doesn't take much effort to push 2 buttons. :rolleyes:

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I hated the fact too. I even was going to test a system that would "blip" the switch once everything the engine was in start mode. Then as said before, I was coming off the highway and there is a bridge on the offramp. Hit 30mph, and the ass end went a-slidin. Had a seatcover-ectomy

pinman336

Reaction score
Ram Year
I flashed my truck with an ez Lynk programmer and it remembers the settings I had on from the last run. So I leave my exhaust brake on auto and it stays that way every time I crank up my truck now.