Why I like my 3.21

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just like in oval track racing- bigger tracks- higher gears, short tracks, lower gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No, it works harder to keep it going, too. That’s why a 3.21 will spend a lot more time shifting than a 3.92 will because the transmission is trying to compensate for the higher rear-end gears.

Of course, that only applies to a scenario when you’re trying to maintain speed when it’s not just the truck as a factor. But then again, this goes back to what I said before when if you’re just driving the truck by itself and if fuel mileage is more important to you, then you’re not gonna be pushing the truck as hard anyway so staying in the highest transmission gear to maintain speed is what happens, giving you the illusion that your 3.21 truck isn’t working harder which makes it a much more justified truck for someone who doesn’t use their truck as truck and at the same time, doesn’t wanna empty their wallet at the gas pump.

You still haven't said exactly what part in the engine lives longer by spinning it faster,clue me into this part that gets less wear by spinning faster. Using your theory the old 3 speed trannies with say a 3.50 style ratio should outlast something with an overdrive and 3.21's,and that ain't happening. Vehicles that used to spin at 3,000+ rpm at cruising speed were basically wore out at a 100,000 miles. You're still grasping at straws lad.We're talking about stock trucks,not lifted trucks with bigger tires,something with a 20% taller tire will benefit from shorter gears as they bring the truck back into the realm of stock 3.21 ratio's which will keep the tranny from downshifting as much,but a stock truck with either 31's (cheap trucks with 17 inch rims) or 33's (higher end trucks with 20 inch rims) will live longer with 3.21's then they will with 3.92's,plus their oil temps will be lower at 70+mph,which also contributes to longer engine life. I don't care who you are or what you think is right, physics don't lie and spinning something faster does not increase it's life expectancy.BTW the majority of trucks sold these days especially the 1500's don't tow a hell'va lot,most are pavement princess's that might see a couple 2X4's in the box on the week-end at most,there are a few that will tow or be loaded ,but they are the minority these days,most run around unloaded.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You still haven't said exactly what part in the engine lives longer by spinning it faster,clue me into this part that gets less wear by spinning faster. Using your theory the old 3 speed trannies with say a 3.50 style ratio should outlast something with an overdrive and 3.21's,and that ain't happening. Vehicles that used to spin at 3,000+ rpm at cruising speed were basically wore out at a 100,000 miles. You're still grasping at straws lad.We're talking about stock trucks,not lifted trucks with bigger tires,something with a 20% taller tire will benefit from shorter gears as they bring the truck back into the realm of stock 3.21 ratio's which will keep the tranny from downshifting as much,but a stock truck with either 31's (cheap trucks with 17 inch rims) or 33's (higher end trucks with 20 inch rims) will live longer with 3.21's then they will with 3.92's,plus their oil temps will be lower at 70+mph,which also contributes to longer engine life. I don't care who you are or what you think is right, physics don't lie and spinning something faster does not increase it's life expectancy

I’m not saying faster spinning parts = no increased wear. Although I’m not so convinced, but your the one who keeps adding that in on your own.

But now you’re going to revert to age-old technology with the ole three-transmissions?? Lol. Lemmie let ya in on a little secret- a lot’s changed in technology since those days.

But I give up, man. My lower gears ain’t wearing my truck out any faster than normal. And neither did they on my old 2008 with the same gears as well.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’m not saying faster spinning parts = no increased wear. Although I’m not so convinced, but your the one who keeps adding that in on your own.

But now you’re going to revert to age-old technology with the ole three-transmissions?? Lol. Lemmie let ya in on a little secret- a lot’s changed in technology since those days.

But I give up, man. My lower gears ain’t wearing my truck out any faster than normal. And neither did they on my old 2008 with the same gears as well.

Hypothetically if you could have 2 identical trucks,1 with 3.21's the other with 3.92's,drove exactly the same way (not physically possible,just hypothetically possible is all) for a 100,000 miles and you do a leak down test ,the one with 3.92's is going to have a noticeable amount of more wear and tear as far as piston and rings go,and if you pull the bearings the 3.92 truck is going to have more bearing wear. You just can't seem to accept the fact that 3.92 gears wear out an engine faster can you,lol.The manufacture's have been dropping the engine speeds since the 80's,and the life expectancy has been going up since.The machining technology hasn't gotten that much better to justify the increase in a vehicles life expectancy as much as dropping the cruising rpm has done to increase life expectany.Hell the Hellcats are down into a 2.60 style rear-end ratio's these days,lol.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Yeah we’re not talking apples to apples anymore.

55-60 mph in an unloaded Hemi 8 speed 3.21 will stay on 8 cylinders as it hunts back and forth between Overdrive 1 and overdrive 2.

Using the same exact variables the 3.92 will be much more efficient staying in MDS and 8th gear due to less load on the engine.

EA2D01B3-E6AA-4D50-8D1D-7C216CC62DB6.jpeg

Attachments

• drive ratios - v2.pdf
    211.4 KB · Views: 3

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah we’re not talking apples to apples anymore.

55-60 mph in an unloaded Hemi 8 speed 3.21 will stay on 8 cylinders as it hunts back and forth between Overdrive 1 and overdrive 2.

Using the same exact variables the 3.92 will be much more efficient staying in MDS and 8th gear due to less load on the engine.

View attachment 186616

My truck when it had 3.21's didn't hunt for gears at 55,nor does my wifes 5.7 Challenger with 3.06 gears,and I don't live where it's exactly flat either.The only trucks with 3.21's that hunt for gears are lifted trucks with bigger tires. You're guessing Tim and I can tell you don't have much experience with a 3.21 geared truck.The big difference and I don't see anybody mentioning it either is the difference in engine oil temps between the ratio's,not many guys are fans of higher oil operating temps,and the 3.92 geared trucks at 70mph run noticeably higher oil temps then a comparable 3.21 geared truck.BTW who in hell drives 55 anymore,lol.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
3.21s are better get over it. If I didnt want you to pass me on the highway stock for stock apples to apples you wouldnt. If you are a diehard dagger in a 6k lb truck 3.92 makes sense. Outside of that it's at a disadvantage period.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck when it had 3.21's didn't hunt for gears at 55,nor does my wifes 5.7 Challenger with 3.06 gears,and I don't live where it's exactly flat either.
Are we still talking about the higher-powered 2-wheeler? If that’s the case, I could almost agree with you on that one. As far as your wife’s Challenger goes, that’s a whole different ball game. We’re not talking cars, were talking trucks.

The only trucks with 3.21's that hunt for gears are lifted trucks with bigger tires.
That is sooo not true. But you just go right on ahead an believe that.

You're guessing Tim and I can tell you don't have much experience with a 3.21 geared truck.
Actually, I don’t. I’ve never wanted one but, I don’t have to have one or have experience driving one to know what I’m talking about.

The big difference and I don't see anybody mentioning it either is the difference in engine oil temps between the ratio's,not many guys are fans of higher oil operating temps,and the 3.92 geared trucks at 70mph run noticeably higher oil temps then a comparable 3.21 geared truck.
That right there is more attributed to the higher thermostats they’re putting in these days. You said you have a 180° stat. Plus, couple it up with the guys that still have the Active Grille Shutters, those are going to run even hotter.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3.21s are better get over it. If I didnt want you to pass me on the highway stock for stock apples to apples you wouldnt. If you are a diehard dagger in a 6k lb truck 3.92 makes sense. Outside of that it's at a disadvantage period.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You just keep telling yourself that. But what difference does it make, once we hit the governed speed of 106, nobody’s gonna be passing anybody.

3.21’s have their place, just as the 3.92’s do. It’s no secret.

Edited to add:

But since it’s in the least of my interests just to drive all the way up to Ohio so I can find out if your higher geared truck really is faster at the top end by any means, than my lower gear truck, who’s to really care about the results anyway? Is it really that big of a deal to you if you probably so very minutely will start to pull away for me? I guess Ive just got much bigger fish to fry to even care.

Last edited:

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Im gonna get yelled at but 3.92=less stress hauling for sure. 3.21=less revolutions of motor over lets say 100k for sure. where that lays out in the wash as to engine life .hell if i know. But i think that maybe the 2 major points trying to be made. Is this correct.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
At 55 mph you will be chugging 1000 rpm in 8th gear. Just touch auto shift, the parameters are set for you to play around with in your slow ass 3.21. I set the shifts to 6000, most of you will be at 55-5600.

*puts on bench racing monster hat and white sunglasses

Over 225 mph is the only time a higher gear has an advantage in this platform.

https://apx6u.app.goo.gl/Lyb4

https://apx6u.app.goo.gl/jMrq

Last edited:

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I remember my old 86 stang would get a higher top speed in 4th then it would in 5th when winding it out. My thought is the 5th gear could'nt fight the wind resistance at that speed.there are so many factors at play here. My 54 ford tractor will pull a house down at only 35hp with the way its geared. Of course at 2 miles an hour.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im gonna get yelled at but 3.92=less stress hauling for sure. 3.21=less revolutions of motor over lets say 100k for sure. where that lays out in the wash as to engine life .hell if i know. But i think that maybe the 2 major points trying to be made. Is this correct.

I’m not gonna yell at ya but you know, you are right. Over the course of a 100,000 mile truck, I have no reason to believe otherwise that the lower-geared truck probably will have spun more revolutions than the higher geared one. Does that matter, over the long run? If you ask me, I think not.

Is it gonna matter if those increased revolutions just so happen to cause me to replace a motor at say, 150,000 miles as opposed to a higher-geared truck at say, 200,000 miles? Again, I think not.

If I just use my truck over the course of a lifetime of it just the same as anybody else with higher gears, is it gonna matter that I’m probably gonna go through a lot more fuel than that other person will? Again, I think not. Because I’m not concerned about fuel mileage. I’ve already stated the reasons why I like the lower gears so as far as I’m concerned, that’s why I can only say that all of those things I’ve mentioned in this post don’t apply to me. If it does apply to you then by all means go get you a higher gear truck and be happy.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I think most of us agree that putting more stress on a engine from lower gearing is a wash for the increased amount of revolutions from more ratio. (Within loading and rpm limitations)

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember my old 86 stang would get a higher top speed in 4th then it would in 5th when winding it out. My thought is the 5th gear could'nt fight the wind resistance at that speed.there are so many factors at play here. My 54 ford tractor will pull a house down at only 35hp with the way its geared. Of course at 2 miles an hour.

The first nice newer vehicle that I ever had was a two-year-old 96 Dodge Dakota that had the five speed and the little 5.2 L V8. Have no idea what gears it had. With only pushing 4000 RPMs, I could run 100 miles an hour in the truck. Now as far as whether or not if I could make it run any faster by putting it in the big hole, or wherever the speed governor would’ve topped out at, I don’t know because at that time I was too chicken**** to learn the answer to that question but maybe it wouldn’t of mattered in that little truck anyway because that little 318 in that little bitty truck was quite a bit a motor for size.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m not gonna yell at ya but you know, you are right. Over the course of a 100,000 mile truck, I have no reason to believe otherwise that the lower-geared truck probably will have spun more revolutions than the higher geared one. Does that matter, over the long run? If you ask me, I think not.

Is it gonna matter if those increased revolutions just so happen to cause me to replace a motor at say, 150,000 miles as opposed to a higher-geared truck at say, 200,000 miles? Again, I think not.

If I just use my truck over the course of a lifetime of it just the same as anybody else with higher gears, is it gonna matter that I’m probably gonna go through a lot more fuel than that other person will? Again, I think not. Because I’m not concerned about fuel mileage. I’ve already stated the reasons why I like the lower gears so as far as I’m concerned, that’s why I can only say that all of those things I’ve mentioned in this post don’t apply to me. If it does apply to you then by all means go get you a higher gear truck and be happy.

None of this applies to me i have a gas eating slow ass 2500 with a 6.4. Im just throwing out some points and having some fun. Im not on any side with this. My 1500 had 3.92's my 2500 has 3.73's which im told is a pc of **** around here. Happy with both trucks. They are both rams and both kick ass. Now if you compare us to the Diesel trucks i guess we are all *****'s lol.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
None of this applies to me i have a gas eating slow ass 2500 with a 6.4. Im just throwing out some points and having some fun. Im not on any side with this. My 1500 had 3.92's my 2500 has 3.73's which im told is a pc of **** around here. Happy with both trucks. They are both rams and both kick ass. Now if you compare us to the Diesel trucks i guess we are all *****'s lol.

Although I don’t need a big three-quarter ton- but if I would’ve waited to buy my new truck when those new 2019’s came out with that new eight speed transmission in them, I might possibly would be driving a three-quarter ton right now instead of a half-ton.

Even if I could’ve found a 2018 three-quarter ton that had that rear air suspension on it, I’m pretty sure I still would have gotten the halfton with the 8-speed because that six speed transmission in it was not impressive to me at all. I mean, I know it’s a lot bigger, heavier truck and all but still, the one I test drove really did not make me feel like it had almost a 400 CI V8 under the hood connected to that go pedal.

But hey, to each his own. If you’re happy with your truck then that’s all that matters.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The first nice newer vehicle that I ever had was a two-year-old 96 Dodge Dakota that had the five speed and the little 5.2 L V8. Have no idea what gears it had. With only pushing 4000 RPMs, I could run 100 miles an hour in the truck. Now as far as whether or not if I could make it run any faster by putting it in the big hole, or wherever the speed governor would’ve topped out at, I don’t know because at that time I was too chicken**** to learn the answer to that question but maybe it wouldn’t of mattered in that little truck anyway because that little 318 in that little bitty truck was quite a bit a motor for size.

Hell yea i had a 96 dakota with a 318 5sp and 3.90 posi. Very fun to drive. It was like a truck mustang.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Although I don’t need a big three-quarter ton- but if I would’ve waited to buy my new truck when those new 2019’s came out with that new eight speed transmission in them, I might possibly would be driving a three-quarter ton right now instead of a half-ton.

Even if I could’ve found a 2018 three-quarter ton that had that rear air suspension on it, I’m pretty sure I still would have gotten the halfton with the 8-speed because that six speed transmission in it was not impressive to me at all. I mean, I know it’s a lot bigger, heavier truck and all but still, the one I test drove really did not make me feel like it had almost a 400 CI V8 under the hood connected to that go pedal.

But hey, to each his own. If you’re happy with your truck then that’s all that matters.

Its no speed demon for sure. My boat is only 6500lbs so really to much truck. But i do like it. I had a vett for the fun times but a mac truck ran me over and the vett got totaled.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hell yea i had a 96 dakota with a 318 5sp and 3.90 posi. Very fun to drive. It was like a truck mustang.

That might’ve very well been what mine had as well but since that’s been so long ago, I don’t remember.
But come on, you ruined it by saying truck mustang… LOL.[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]