Peculiar findings doing my MDS delete and would like everyone's thoughts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AEDELGOD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all,

So I am in the middle of doing a top-end rebuild with an MDS delete and doing the HC oil pump. Throughout the disassembly process I kept noticing marker marks and numbers, is this something the factory does? I am getting the feeling someone has been in here before or someone put a junkyard engine in it.

What's really raising red flags for me in my assumption is: that before I took the oil pump off, I was trying to get it TDC by looking at cylinder 1 and observing the timing chain marks, I wasn't having luck getting them to line up so I took a Sharpie and made my own mark when I was at TDC.

cam-timing.jpg

When I did remove the oil pump after that, I noticed my timing chain mark was off on the crank sprocket!

crank-timing.jpg

Here's an edited version of the Cam where I marked a line from the cam phaser timing mark, I'm aware my Sharpie mark is a little off:
cam-timing.jpg

The indicator on the cam phaser appears to be an engraved line versus a dot or paint

I haven't had a timing issue and it ran fine, clearly, it would have because it is technically in time, just the chain was put on wrong to where the marks don't line up.

I started getting a lifter tick and caught it early which is why I am doing this. The lifter (non-mds in this case) that was making noise had some up-and-down play, no significant damage and I don't have any signs of metal contamination or real damage to the roller. Oil analysis said it had elevated levels of iron, but again, nothing was visible.

I have also observed uniform scoring on the lifters and cylinder walls and would like y'all's opinion on this to see if it is an area of concern:
lifter-score.jpg
lifter-score2.jpg
PXL-20231025-161217789.jpg

It is uniformly the same for every cylinder and lifter.

Everything is Mopar OEM in it currently, didn't find any aftermarket engine parts. The heads looked super clean in the valvetrain like it was brand new.

I have a new timing set as well, so while I am in here I will be replacing the chain, guide, and tensioner.

Here are some more pics of markings I have found:

3onblock.png
crankpng.png
PXL-20231011-172812312.jpg
PXL-20231011-172822573.jpg
PXL-20231011-172856202.jpg

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Factory uh-oh, previously unrecorded rebuild, junkyard motor? I bought the truck with 119K miles a year ago, just shy of 133K miles now.

First time seeing this personally, so thought I would share. Maybe this will help someone out there who is trying to rely on the chain marks and getting nowhere like I was.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The chain is off but it also matches the crank so its still in time.

Cool find nonetheless

Must of been a friday last shift engine... lol..

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't say anything about inside the engine since I don't know squat about gas engines, but the other marks on the outside seem normal to me. I have had several ram trucks and dodge durangos and they have all had all kinds of random marks all over the engine and door panels and everywhere. I always assumed it was someone on the line marking everything to make sure all was installed and tightened to what it needs to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357