Why is my truck dyin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LMB69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sup everyone? So, I'm having a problem with my truck dying after it gets up to operating temp. Cold start after sitting for day or two, no problem. But when I drive it a short distance, mile or two, and then pull in to park, it will die. When i restart it, the starter kind of struggles, starts, but won't idle or stay running unless one foot is on the brake other on gas pedal. This is how i have to get it back home. Pull into driveway, put it in park, foot off pedals and it dies. Anyone familiar with this issue? Any advice will be appreciated!! I've watched hours of youtube videos but I'm still lost !!

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Upstream oxygen sensor is the first thing that comes to mind. Telltale sign of a dodgy O2 sensor is the engine runs fine when cold but goes kapoot when warm. This is because when the engine is cold, the computer operates in "open" loop, meaning that it receives no inputs from the oxygen sensors due to the circuit being open. When the engine warms up, the computer switches to "closed" loop, where the circuit between it and the sensors is closed, and the computer then makes adjustments to the fuel/air mixture based upon what the upstream O2 sensor is telling it.

When the upstream sensor becomes faulty, it will send an inappropriate return voltage to the computer, causing it to make an inappropriate adjustment to the fuel/air mixture, which makes the engine run like crap at best and makes it flat out not run at all at worst.

Falkkon

Reaction score
Speaking of such things, is the EGR on the 01/2 1500s down by the carbon canister? I noticed it when I was under looking at the transmission. Plugged emissions system like EGR and carbon canister would also do this.

OP
OP
L

LMB69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys! I've got 02 sensor on order now.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
These don't have EGR after 1995.

I dont think 02 would be the cause of this. This sounds more like Idle Air Control Valve to me

OP
OP
L

LMB69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think so too. I'm replacing it this weekend , and then 02 sensor if that doesn't fix it. It starts and runs fine for a minute but then goes to crap after it runs/drives for 10-15 minutes, thanks for the input!!

Falkkon

Reaction score
These don't have EGR after 1995.

I dont think 02 would be the cause of this. This sounds more like Idle Air Control Valve to me

My bad, good news, because I always hated them. Since the IAC is being changed, I'd start squirting some penetrating oil while you're doing that in case you want to change the O2 sensor.

OP
OP
L

LMB69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Copy that, yeah I know they're a real hassle to break loose.

OP
OP
L

LMB69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody have advice on lifter tapping? I get it when I cold start engine . tapping for 10-15 minutes after start up then goes away when engine warms up

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well the correct thing is to replace it. However, an oil clean/change can often work pretty well to get you by. By that i mean add a 1/2qt of Marvel Mystery Oil to the oil and run it for 4-500 miles and change it with your regular oil brand of choice in the 5w30/10w30 spec

OP
OP
L

LMB69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good deal, I will do just that. Thanks!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I will stress the oil clean is not the RIGHT way. You'll find various opinions on whether or not it's ok to do, what brands/types of additives, the internal, etc. The MMO/500 miles is just MY method that i like to do when i buy a new-to-me used car. MMO works pretty well with cleaning sludge and varnish and rust with more lubricity than other bottle medics like Seafoam

OP
OP
L

LMB69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to know. I will try it for sure. Hopefully one day in near future I will get around to replacing the lifters. Id say at almost 165,000 miles , it could probably use it