Will a 2011-2014 with 250k be a money pit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMax82

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Hey everybody, I just signed up and have a quick question to ask. I am looking at 4500/5500 dump trucks and although I believe some were offered with the 6.4, I have yet to see any. I have however seen some really nice ones with the 6.7. I am looking at the big equipment auctions and most are in the 2011-2014 year range with between 200-250k miles.

As the title suggests I am concerned that these will be very expensive to maintain due to the emissions crap and other complexities. I will not be a heavy user, probable 5-10k a year, mostly local with a few back and forth trips of 100 miles each way. I will tow some up to 14k, but my main use will be using it as a dump truck - hauling sand, gravel, firewood, etc.

So is the 6.7 a good option for me or should I just try to find a 3500 with the 5.7? I really don't want to be spending money constantly.

Thanks for any thoughts! David

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I don't know much about the bigger rigs like you describe, and the condition and maintenance could be all over the board. If I was buying one I probably would look for as nice as I could find and then try to get it at a bargain basement price and hope for the best. The emissions on these could probably be better than buying a pickup in those model years because I don't believe operators of a dump truck would use them for short run errands such as might be the case for a 2500 Cummins. Good luck and if you buy one let us know how it runs out.

Msquare

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'd also consider the company that was using it. Mainly from the maintenance aspect. Do they have a lot of trucks on the road? Do they provide maintenance records? The 5.9's and 6.7's both like to work and could be good to go for many more miles. My biggest concern would be the condition of the rest of the truck.