Will it effect things too bad if I add this to my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey so I bought my truck already modified clutch fan delete, 180 degree thermo, CAI, 93 HP tuners tune, but the one thing this truck does NOT have is a AFTERMARKET throttle body.

My question is if I just throw on the throttle body will it throw codes or really effect the performance of my truck or is it a must tune item?

I was hoping maybe the computer would sort out the air/fuel ratio.

And yes I have had a throttle body before on my last two trucks. It's just this one is stock. And will a "retune" be needed for the new one.

Don't know much about the electronic side of mechanics.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I assume aftermarket TB? If so, I ran a Moe's unit on my 1500, loved it and no codes!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I can vouch for them making a small difference on an otherwise stock vehicle. I did a MMX ported on my 6.4 Charger. Stock tuning. The throttle response increase was instantly noticeable. You can tell a difference even revving in park. Only other mod was a Hellcat intake. It pulls harder everywhere but I really felt it up over 100. I’ve seen my best times ever since putting it on. I am happy with the purchase.

Just watch what size you buy. I am not familiar with what size is best for the 5.7.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the mod's you already have I think that a new(larger) TB would be a good addition. It is one thing that works well with other mods and also works well standing alone, however I think it will enhance what you already have. Will it cut your 1/4 mile time by 1 or 2 seconds--nope-- but it will make your truck perform better. You might also think about a set of long tube headers--they will also make a noticeable difference in the performance of your truck.
Jay

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I can vouch for them making a small difference on an otherwise stock vehicle. I did a MMX ported on my 6.4 Charger. Stock tuning. The throttle response increase was instantly noticeable. You can tell a difference even revving in park. Only other mod was a Hellcat intake. It pulls harder everywhere but I really felt it up over 100. I’ve seen my best times ever since putting it on. I am happy with the purchase.

Just watch what size you buy. I am not familiar with what size is best for the 5.7.

I'm sure as hell questioning your "Hellcat" intake swap on a stock 6.4.Just how did you go about that mod,seeing as how the Hellcat intake has this little chunk of metal on it,that requires a belt ,lol.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm sure as hell questioning your "Hellcat" intake swap on a stock 6.4.Just how did you go about that mod,seeing as how the Hellcat intake has this little chunk of metal on it,that requires a belt ,lol.

LOL, yea that would be bad times on stock 6.4 internals. Probably referring to the lower box half so you can run the supplemental inlet tube.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
LOL, yea that would be bad times on stock 6.4 internals. Probably referring to the lower box half so you can run the supplemental inlet tube.

**** you're probably right,i'd never thought about the airbox,lol.I'm still old school and when somebody says "intake" I just leap to thinking manifold ,lol

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's

Yes. Lowers intake temps by a good margin.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's

Now that would sure be something. I was referring to the snorkel tube. Should have probably said “Hellcat inlet”. It isn’t as simple on the Charger as on the Challenger, unfortunately. If I somehow put a Hellcat blower on my 6.4, I’d have made a thread about it… lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have the shaker hood and T/A inlet tube on my 6.4. It does make a noticeable IAT difference at speed.

Joshuae,do you have a pic of the T/A inlet tube.My wifes car has the shaker hood,and i'd never really thought about adding an extra ram air style tube to it.I did put a Legmaker intake tube on it,which gave me enough clearance to install a Moroso catch can ,while getting rid of the crappy intake tube with the silencer.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Joshuae,do you have a pic of the T/A inlet tube.My wifes car has the shaker hood,and i'd never really thought about adding an extra ram air style tube to it.I did put a Legmaker intake tube on it,which gave me enough clearance to install a Moroso catch can ,while getting rid of the crappy intake tube with the silencer.

Don't have any pictures of it installed on my challenger, but the parts listing shows a decent picture. You do need to drill 4 holes into the air box to secure it with the provided plastic rivets, but other than that super easy install. I also installed some DIPS screens in both headlight air holes which catch a lot of the bigger stuff like small birds and butterflies.

https://moparonlineparts.com/dodge-challenger-cold-intake-p-7998.html

OP
OP
monettejb

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the mod's you already have I think that a new(larger) TB would be a good addition. It is one thing that works well with other mods and also works well standing alone, however I think it will enhance what you already have. Will it cut your 1/4 mile time by 1 or 2 seconds--nope-- but it will make your truck perform better. You might also think about a set of long tube headers--they will also make a noticeable difference in the performance of your truck.
Jay
What I'm asking though is it does it absolutely have to be retuned immediately?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What I'm asking though is it does it absolutely have to be retuned immediately?

Not really, especially if it's one of the Moe's style taper port with the stock butterfly. Now if you toss a larger true port on there you could throw some things off a bit depending on the size of the port.