will my 55 watt hid kit burn my 2012 ram fogs or headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shawnsetia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i just ordered 2 sets of ddm hid kits and relays for both of them and im wanting to install them on my brand new 2012 ram longhorn also this is my first post and i wish i had done some more research before purcasing because im just now reading that 55 watts can be to hot and possibly ruin my bulb housing... i dont know what to do now.. is theyre some offroad light housings i can install the 9145/h1 fog light hid kit bulbs to? and maybe just use the h11 lowbeams i bought? also i dident get highbeam hids because i dont know how? what happens with the drl can you avoid them or turn them of? do hid kits work on the highbeams on out truck? thanks in advance!

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
nope. I have 55 watt kit from Reto-solutions in my projectors and no issues

OP
OP
S

shawnsetia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ya but thats projectors wouldnt that be different? mines factory housing

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The projectors would likely have a high concentration of heat. People have always talked about HID's ruining housings, and I've never known anyone who has personally experienced it. (with lots of people running HIDs).

I'm not sure how your truck will take to the headlights. I have retro headlights as well.
As for the fog lights, they should plug in and work fine. My 35Ws did and they don't even get warm to the touch.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I dont' think it will be an issue, but I am not sure how hot the DDMs run.

Thor09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've had DDM and Retro with 55W, no issues and no melting...you'll be fine

OP
OP
S

shawnsetia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks so much guys you really reassured me.. what i really love about this forum is you guys take the time and put in the efford to answer a newbies question instead of like some forums they just have theyre own little gangs to chat around on and alot of threads are left viewed but untouched but yeah im thankfull for you guys... and im in touch with retro shop hes a great guy i cant wait untill i save up enough for those projectors.. i havnt introduced myself yet but im putting a little post up if i find the proper thread if not ill just put a bit in here or wherever suitable... anyone know of any vancouver/b.c canadians up in the northwest that would like to meetup or have a club/group.. i looked in the regional parts of a few forums but i dident find anything ill check more detailed once again and last question anyone know of a good amp wiring thread with pictures for my 4th gen o yeah LOL by the way its a 2012 dodge ram longhorn 1500 crew we just got 2 weeks ago..so far i ordered a pac module chy23 so i can have remote and rca wires for my amp without splicing and i ordered 2 sets of 55 watt ddm hids for lows and fogs with 2 sets of bulbs 5000 and 10000k with 2 wiring harness's to not touch the stock wiring and a set of error cancellers i also transfered my backup lights.. ill figure out how to put pics up and do that soon but the trucks all black with chrome bumpers and she has the longhorn etching in the seats some other mods i want to do are hid backup lights the 15 watt ones + projectors from retro, maybe a train horn, a sub enclosure to fit my 2 type r 10's with my alpine mono mrd 1001 amp, leveling kit/lift kit, cb radio etc.. etc... the list goes on and on....

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Let the modding begin lol. This forum is very addictive and u will find lots of info/ideas for your rig. By far the best forum i have seen, great group of folks here, and always fast responses to even the dumbest questions. Retroshop/JJ-best company and customer service i have dealt with. Had my heads done with projectors a few months ago and love them

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
thanks so much guys you really reassured me.. what i really love about this forum is you guys take the time and put in the efford to answer a newbies question instead of like some forums they just have theyre own little gangs to chat around on and alot of threads are left viewed but untouched but yeah im thankfull for you guys... and im in touch with retro shop hes a great guy i cant wait untill i save up enough for those projectors.. i havnt introduced myself yet but im putting a little post up if i find the proper thread if not ill just put a bit in here or wherever suitable... anyone know of any vancouver/b.c canadians up in the northwest that would like to meetup or have a club/group.. i looked in the regional parts of a few forums but i dident find anything ill check more detailed once again and last question anyone know of a good amp wiring thread with pictures for my 4th gen o yeah LOL by the way its a 2012 dodge ram longhorn 1500 crew we just got 2 weeks ago..so far i ordered a pac module chy23 so i can have remote and rca wires for my amp without splicing and i ordered 2 sets of 55 watt ddm hids for lows and fogs with 2 sets of bulbs 5000 and 10000k with 2 wiring harness's to not touch the stock wiring and a set of error cancellers i also transfered my backup lights.. ill figure out how to put pics up and do that soon but the trucks all black with chrome bumpers and she has the longhorn etching in the seats some other mods i want to do are hid backup lights the 15 watt ones + projectors from retro, maybe a train horn, a sub enclosure to fit my 2 type r 10's with my alpine mono mrd 1001 amp, leveling kit/lift kit, cb radio etc.. etc... the list goes on and on....

sweet!!! sounds like you have a good start. By the way....once you start modding it never ends...LOL

OP
OP
S

shawnsetia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
quitpeen yeah thats so true i almost had my cherokee looking tacky LOLL and thanks hemi1300 those projectors are daymmnnnn sweeeet

Thor09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Haha ain't that the truth Bighorn!

Welcome to the site man!