Wind Noise!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoCaDoRi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm about to loose my mind... I have a 2018 3500 mega cab... I'm either going to go insane or ....

I have this wind noise and I've pinpointed it to what I feel is on the passenger side below the rear window about 6-8". It doesn't appear to be from the rear door window or rear door. it sounds like an open window however it only happens in a cross wind and above 45-50 mph.

I have had it to a body shop and they can't seem to locate the source. All the weather seals, weather stripping, door seals, etc have all benn check and or replaced.
Any ideas ???

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Use painters tape and cover all the door gaps around both doors on the passenger side. Try folding your mirror(s) in also.

OP
OP
C

CoCaDoRi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
yep, thank you ! did that... the noise is somewhere ... in the rear under the rear window... at least thats where the sound is more apparent.

OP
OP
C

CoCaDoRi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Great thanks!

What are the cab vents?

any links ofr diagrams I could use to figure this out?

OP
OP
C

CoCaDoRi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thats great, and a good start...thank you!

Now I just need to figure out how to access them.

JoeGo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I know you said you think you have it pinpointed today the rear window but just want to give my experience. I had a whistling noise that I couldn’t figure out. Turns out it was coming from the side mirrors. There was a small gap on where the turn signal light cover is. I put some clear silicone on it and it fixed the problem. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Kind of disturbing that you took it to a body shop with your area of concern and they didn't even mention the cab vents.

You can see them between the bed and the cab. They're basically one-way check valves that are supposed to let pressure out of the cab, but not leak air back in.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
yep, thank you ! did that... the noise is somewhere ... in the rear under the rear window... at least thats where the sound is more apparent.
If the noise subsided some by coverings the door gaps, there may still be an air leak. The cab vents are to relieve air pressure in the cab. It's possible one is defective and stuck open causing the noise though.
I think you can get to them by pulling the back seat out of the way and removing the carpet on the back wall of the cab.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Nobody has mentioned it so I will. Whatever you do, do not block or seal up the cab vents to get rid of this noise...doing so can result in shattered windows from closing doors.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

RidgebackBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little late to this thread but I have the same problem. Mine is located at the same area and starts at around 45 mph. It stops however if I turn off the heat/AC (stop the fan). This suggests to me that it is the vents located in the back wall of the cab behind the seat. I am irritated that I am going to have to trouble shoot this myself since the dealer refuses to do anything. Same problem everywhere; no interest in doing good work, or lack of knowledge, or both.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
A little late to this thread but I have the same problem. Mine is located at the same area and starts at around 45 mph. It stops however if I turn off the heat/AC (stop the fan). This suggests to me that it is the vents located in the back wall of the cab behind the seat. I am irritated that I am going to have to trouble shoot this myself since the dealer refuses to do anything. Same problem everywhere; no interest in doing good work, or lack of knowledge, or both.
From some post I have seen sometimes the Rear Vent baffles fall out so you basicly have a open window :O Tha may cause the noise, And yes therre are 2 behind the rear seat behind the insulation https://www.ramforum.com/threads/rear-cabin-vents.142818/