Window acid rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my windows have bad spotting from what I believe is acid rain....anyone have a trick to remove them? I recall years ago using wax and a 0000 fine wool ....just wondering if any have better ideas.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
0000 steel wool works amazing, as well you can clay bar them. It its hard water take a towel or rag and soak it with vinegar and rub that in. Any if not all of those 3 things will remove hard water stains pretty quickly.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
They also make a hard water spot remover. I can’t remember what brand it is though.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
CLR???

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CLR???

CLR is dangerous as it will eat paint and the rubbers around the windows. It can be used but with great caution.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
CLR is dangerous as it will eat paint and the rubbers around the windows. It can be used but with great caution.

Wasn’t sure if could be or not. I ain’t ever used on automotive anything.
I wonder if a quality headlight restore kit would work??? Hmmm???

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wasn’t sure if could be or not. I ain’t ever used on automotive anything.
I wonder if a quality headlight restore kit would work??? Hmmm???

Just use the easy stuff, no need to reinvent the wheel. Vinegar is my go to for hard stains, 0000 steel wool or clay bar is my backup.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clay them then polish them, just as you would the paint. If they are still there then you can use white vinegar. If that doesn't work step up to a dedicated glass polish.

It's more likely ground water or sprinkler water causing it.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I spend all last weekend claying my windows, then trying vinegar and finally metal polish. The clay worked great on all windows but the back window. For the life of me I can’t get the spots out. Should I soak a rag in vinegar and let it sit on the glass? Would a scotch bright pad do the same as steel wool? Sorry for the Questions on questions but it’s been driving me nuts. I have 5% tint over the factory 20% so the water stains are very noticeable

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
https://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-nu-glass.html I have used this stuff for years. I have not found anything easier to polish waterspots off of windows with. It is a little chalky on the residue side and does take a little elbow greese. Once you are done it will shed water like rainx. For upkeep I just use the the glass cleaner + rainx spray by rainx. I've even used this stuff to polish scuffs out of a sapphire crystal wrist watch glass.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Clay them then polish them, just as you would the paint. If they are still there then you can use white vinegar. If that doesn't work step up to a dedicated glass polish.

It's more likely ground water or sprinkler water causing it.

I agree use a machine polisher on them like you would your paint.

mperryz24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RainX does a great job. Also you can use chrome polish!

Pana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope this finds you well and in time but I swear by this product: PRO CLEAN PROFESSIONAL GLASS RESTORER by Glasweld.

I do detailing for a side gig here in Hawaii so I deal with a lot of salt water build up on mirrors/windshields aside from the body. I've tried many compounds/pads/polisher combinations and this BY FAR is the fastest and most effective.

The application process:

Put about a half dollar size amount of the product on fine steel wool (0000). Scrub the window until it starts to haze over. Once dry/hazed I like to spray some Stone Glass Cleaner to remove the product. Finally, I top it off with glass sealant for a layer of protection.

glass.jpg

Last edited:

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I remember my dad back in the day would use coke from a bottle and instead of rags he used your basic news paper and wipe clean..

Been meaning to tey it on my 18 wheeler but ended up with a good wash,dry,0000 steel wool and chem guys wax....My windshield look good,even saw things i i didnt remember..lol

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RainX does a great job. Also you can use chrome polish!

Hate that stuff....

I used to use it on my 18 wheeler....Smeared like crazy when i got outta the warm south and back into canada with the crap they spray on the roads come winter.....

Plus it seemed to leave almost like a wear track in my windshield..

Nope for me its a good clean n wax..