Window and Door Lock Controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FloridaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope you all don't think I'm needy, but I just got my 'new to me' truck (80k miles) and I'm just trying to fix a few existing issues.

I've had my truck for about a month now and just realized that window and lock buttons the front passenger door aren't working. The door lock button has a little bit of juice in it, but the window button is completely dead.

Everything works perfectly fine from the driver side controls, which tells me that the motor and other parts are fine and I may just need a new harness. I took the panels off to make sure everything was hooked up properly and it looked okay. I'm not electrical savy, so I can't say for sure though.

Anyone familiar with this type of issue? Is swapping the harness out (if that's the issue) pretty simple? I didn't see exactly how it was hooked up.

I have an 07 SLT QC if that's relevant...

Thanks in advance for the responses.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I might be wrong but I think you have to replace the whole switch panel itself in the passenger door. Could possibly get one from a junk yard to save some money.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hmmm..... I am not sure if there is a fuse or relay that makes those work... Maybe the buttons themselves are bad, and not the relay. Like, maybe something broke inside the buttons. The only thing I would do if it were my truck, is unplug the buttons from the plugs and make sure nothing is broke inside, and try to replug it in and see if it works. If not, then double check and see if there is a fuse or relay for them, and last resort would be new buttons for that side....

Hopefully someone else could chime in here if they have better advice :D

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
When doing the window switch led conversion, I couldn't get my passenger side controls to work. I soldered and desoldered the switched off and on many times, finally, when I knew I had it right, I took the wires from the harness and "jiggled" them around. As soon as I did that I saw the LEDs light up and the switches worked, when the harness was in the right position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

FloridaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if I'm understanding this correctly, it's either got to be a switch problem (ie, the buttons are dead), or a harness problem (ie, the wires that plug into to the switch), right?

@HemiBabe - I don't really know what you mean by fuse and relay... I'm assuming you mean the wires? I've taken the panel off and unplugged everything and plugged it back in and nothing changed.

So replacing the switch panel wouldn't necessarily solve the problem if there was something wrong with the wiring, correct?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Correct. Maybe buy a new passenger switch panel from somewhere where it can be returned if it's not needed?

How good are you with soldering and electronics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

FloridaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correct. Maybe buy a new passenger switch panel from somewhere where it can be returned if it's not needed?

How good are you with soldering and electronics?

Let's just say I don't even know what soldering is...not technically savy at all...I can look at stuff and see how it works and be able to replace/swap it out, but as far as trouble shooting goes...not very good.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Well, you said the drivers side works fine, and will control the window correct?

But the passenger side switches don't work at all?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Sounds like the pass side switches or wires to them are not working together.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yeah, I would suggest trying new switches. check your local junk yard, ebay, or car-part.com

OP
OP
F

FloridaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, you said the drivers side works fine, and will control the window correct?

But the passenger side switches don't work at all?

Yes, that's correct. From the drivers switch, everything works normally, but the passenger side is pretty much dead...the lock button tries to work, but doesn't have enough juice to actually lock or unlock the door.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
That's odd. Because unless the switches are hooked up the master switch on the door wont work, so obviously the wiring harness is fine. I would saw new switches then.

Speaking from experience ^^ Broke a switch off the master controls, and somehow that window was able to roll down, and then didn't roll back up until I swapped a switch from the back window to the master controls, plugged everything in, rolled it up, and then went without a switch int the back until the replacement came in.

OP
OP
F

FloridaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's odd. Because unless the switches are hooked up the master switch on the door wont work, so obviously the wiring harness is fine. I would saw new switches then.

That makes alot of sense because if the wiring was jacked up, then the window wouldn't work from the master. Am I understanding that correctly?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
By fuses I meant on the fuse block under the hood, there are all kinds of fuses for your lights and everything. But after what all you're saying, I would think it's just the buttons/switches themselves

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
That makes alot of sense because if the wiring was jacked up, then the window wouldn't work from the master. Am I understanding that correctly?

Correct. If the wiring is completely disconnected the window won't work from either switch.

OP
OP
F

FloridaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all of the responses. I'm gonna start with a new switch on the passenger side. If it doesn't work after that I'll have to take another look at it. Now I just need to find a switch! There are NONE for the passenger side (07) on ebay!!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
a switch from an 06 or 08 is most likely the same

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I can't find the whole panel from any of those years. Lol.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
try car-part.com. they have a bunch

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I just recently replaced the master switches because mine was doing the same thing. What it was is the window lock wouldn't disengage and it would act as if the other switches were broke. Once I replaced that. I never had a problem again.