Window down feature with fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a 21 Bighorn Built to Serve edition a week and a half ago and I'm still learning the features of it. It's got the push to start butting on the dash. My 2011 ram bighorn had the key fob that actually went into the dash to start but it had a feature that would allow me to roll the front windows down by hitting the unlock button on the fob twice and then hold the button down.

My question is, does anyone know if the 5th gen's have that window down feature using just the fob? I tried doing it using the same procedure as I did on my 11 but it doesnt work. Is there a different procedure or do they not have it at all?

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If my memory serves me correctly, this feature was removed in 2019.

OP
OP
Rlaf75

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if that's true it really sucks. My 5th gen has so much crap added that I'll never use but the one thing I did use on my 4th gen has been removed from it. Go figure lol

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well if that's true it really sucks. My 5th gen has so much crap added that I'll never use but the one thing I did use on my 4th gen has been removed from it. Go figure lol

Actually I think 2011 or 2012 was the last year that feature came from the factory. After that you can still enable it but you have to do so with alfa obd (maybe tazer can too?). My 2011 sport also had the windows down via remote but my 2013 didn't. I enabled it on my 2017 with alfa obd but haven't messed with my 21 at all yet.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Actually I think 2011 or 2012 was the last year that feature came from the factory. After that you can still enable it but you have to do so with alfa obd (maybe tazer can too?). My 2011 sport also had the windows down via remote but my 2013 didn't. I enabled it on my 2017 with alfa obd but haven't messed with my 21 at all yet.
^^This. It was disabled long before the 2019 model. I was disappointed that my 2015 didn't have the feature. Along with alfa obd, the Tazer DT will also enable it.

OP
OP
Rlaf75

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now what exactly is that alpha obd thing?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now what exactly is that alpha obd thing?

It's an app you can download (and with an additional piece or two of hardware) and communicate/make changes to the truck such as the front windows down with fob thing, or leaving fog lights on when the high beams are turned on, etc...

Here's some light reading on it from the 4th gen section (since people have been using it on 4th gens for a long time)

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dang it when I saw this thread I thought that would be great feature, since my Ram has so many others. Figures they would do away with that one. I had a Honda Pilot that had that feature and I used it quite a bit.

OP
OP
Rlaf75

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's an app you can download (and with an additional piece or two of hardware) and communicate/make changes to the truck such as the front windows down with fob thing, or leaving fog lights on when the high beams are turned on, etc...

Here's some light reading on it from the 4th gen section (since people have been using it on 4th gens for a long time)

So I'm assuming that "additional piece or hardware" has to be wired into the truck somehow?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm assuming that "additional piece or hardware" has to be wired into the truck somehow?

I'm not sure what's required for the 5th gens, on my last truck (the 2017 ram) I just had to buy the app ($50 bargain) and buy a Bluetooth obd tool that plugged into the obd port (only needed when using the app to make adjustments etc.). The Bluetooth thing to communicate with the app I think was around $70 or so, but for all of the changes you can make with it $120 is a pretty good value. Again though, I'm not sure if the 5th gens require anything further than that, maybe someone else here can answer that.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
I just bought a 21 Bighorn Built to Serve edition a week and a half ago and I'm still learning the features of it. It's got the push to start butting on the dash. My 2011 ram bighorn had the key fob that actually went into the dash to start but it had a feature that would allow me to roll the front windows down by hitting the unlock button on the fob twice and then hold the button down.

My question is, does anyone know if the 5th gen's have that window down feature using just the fob? I tried doing it using the same procedure as I did on my 11 but it doesnt work. Is there a different procedure or do they not have it at all?
wait,what??? they did this???

OP
OP
Rlaf75

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wait,what??? they did this???
I had it on my 11 but not on my 21. Apparently with the purchase of an OBD adapter for a couple hundred bucks that function can be "turned on". I loved it on my 11 and used it all the time. I just dont think the couple hundred bucks is quite worth it yet for my new truck to do it

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had it on my 11 but not on my 21. Apparently with the purchase of an OBD adapter for a couple hundred bucks that function can be "turned on". I loved it on my 11 and used it all the time. I just dont think the couple hundred bucks is quite worth it yet for my new truck to do it

Definitely not for that alone, I bought it for my last truck mostly because I was swapping in some led lights in my hi/low and fog lights and wanted to use it to set those lights in the truck to led to not have any issues computer wise. All of the other little things you can change are just a bonus, and the fog light one is the one I miss the most with my new truck. I may have to look into changing that at some point because that extra light is nice on the back roads in high beam situations.

That being said I'm not sure how much I would spend to get to use it on my 5th gen, if starting from scratch it was $200-300 it wouldn't be worth it for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rlaf75

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely not for that alone, I bought it for my last truck mostly because I was swapping in some led lights in my hi/low and fog lights and wanted to use it to set those lights in the truck to led to not have any issues computer wise. All of the other little things you can change are just a bonus, and the fog light one is the one I miss the most with my new truck. I may have to look into changing that at some point because that extra light is nice on the back roads in high beam situations.

That being said I'm not sure how much I would spend to get to use it on my 5th gen, if starting from scratch it was $200-300 it wouldn't be worth it for me.
Yeah I plan on keeping this one stock. It came with LED everything so that's not a problem for me. The window fob thing I'd like to add as I used that every chance I got. The fog light/high beam thing I'd like to add as well but that's really about it so I cant justify that cost.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I plan on keeping this one stock. It came with LED everything so that's not a problem for me. The window fob thing I'd like to add as I used that every chance I got. The fog light/high beam thing I'd like to add as well but that's really about it so I cant justify that cost.

Likewise, my longhorn (finally) has good lights from the factory so it's nice to not have to fiddle around with the stock inadequate lighting.

There's plenty more alfa can do that I'm not remembering/mentioning so it certainly can still be worth it to some people out there, but yeah I'm with you. The only real thing I would want to do again is the fog light drop out, maybe adjust what the drl is, and maybe the windows down thing. Although with remote start I almost never used the remote window down feature either. The fog light dropout one was the most useful for me by far.

I think I just need a bypass cable to make it work on mine, if I could achieve that for around $50 or so I would certainly do that to get max lighting back. I think you can do the same with tazer but I have no idea of the cost to go that route.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think you can do the same with tazer but I have no idea of the cost to go that route.
Yes, you can enable the window down feature with the Tazer too. The cost was almost $300 for the one I bought a couple months ago for the wife's truck.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had this feature on several older vehicles - notably Saab and Mercedes. Not sure why it's fallen out of favor but seems like it must have something to do with security.