WINDSHIELD DAMAGE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liedoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have a 2023 Ram 1500 Crew Cab & at least once a day, I hear the loud "craaaack" of a rock hitting the windshield. I had to replace the original windshield when the truck was less than a week old (12" long crack on the passenger side). Since then, I have accumulated at least 15 chips in the windshield (luckily no more cracks). I have owned Fords, GMs, and even previous generations of RAM, and have never had this problem. My driving habits have not changed. I'm not following vehicles any more closely, yet I am averaging a rock per day. The only thing I can think of is maybe the rake of the windshield is more vertical than on previous trucks? Very strange and VERY annoying...

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Is there construction in the area of your daily route creating a more than usual number of trucks hauling aggregate or concrete? After losing a windshield to a rock, I’ve changed my daily route to work to avoid just this scenario.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I have a 2023 Ram 1500 Crew Cab & at least once a day, I hear the loud "craaaack" of a rock hitting the windshield. I had to replace the original windshield when the truck was less than a week old (12" long crack on the passenger side). Since then, I have accumulated at least 15 chips in the windshield (luckily no more cracks). I have owned Fords, GMs, and even previous generations of RAM, and have never had this problem. My driving habits have not changed. I'm not following vehicles any more closely, yet I am averaging a rock per day. The only thing I can think of is maybe the rake of the windshield is more vertical than on previous trucks? Very strange and VERY annoying...
Commercial vehicles are required to have comprehensive insurance to operate and if you can record a license plate with a time and location you may be able to be reimbursed for damages.
A dash camera also is helpful but not always necessary.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Ill say that my 2020 1500 had the worst windshield of any vehicle ive ever owned. Chips, cracks, runs and spiderwebs everywhere.
Sometimes we just get a bad windshield. Maybe the construction process was done improperly and its not tempered correctly.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The problem I have here in Maine is what I call Sand Blasting effect on the windshield :O
Little spots/chips the do a white out effect when the sun is bright ! :O
Had it happen on my 2011 Chevy when I had it, My 2015 RAM and even my 2023 Car I purchased in March !
IMO like most things today
They not made like they used to be and use cheaper material or manufacturing process

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
IMO on my New car I think it happened during transport to dealer!
I did not notice it when I first got it ! The sun was higher up so the different angle was not as bad :O

Pastor Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have been carrying zero deductible comprehensive insurance since owning a Jeep Wrangler...to include a Subaru Outback. Both of which seemed to have rock catcher windshields. It was not necessarily a commercial vehicle throwing rocks, just cars on the freeway. The Subie was $1400 per and replaced the W/S 3 times in as many years. The jeep w/s was replaced 7 times in 5 years.

CRS1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Noticing the same issue on my 2023 Limited. Several small chips but no cracks yet. Driving the same way I always have. Has to be related to quality of the glass in some way, in my untrained opinion based on 40 years of driving.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Have been carrying zero deductible comprehensive insurance since owning a Jeep Wrangler...to include a Subaru Outback. Both of which seemed to have rock catcher windshields. It was not necessarily a commercial vehicle throwing rocks, just cars on the freeway. The Subie was $1400 per and replaced the W/S 3 times in as many years. The jeep w/s was replaced 7 times in 5 years.
The point is it goes against the commercial vehicle’s insurance company not your own.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

Well, the cars and pick ups that share the road are also prone to have "rocks" stuck between their tire treads and will "fling out", bounce off the road smacking into the windshield.

Don't even have to be close to any of them and all of a sudden that dreadful sound of a rock hitting the windshield is heard and then the risk of almost running off the road trying to find where it hit, lol ... not an eighteen wheeler in sight!

Where there are gravel roads and folks travel on before they hit the paved roads, there's most likely going to be rocks stuck to the tires ready to fly out and someone's pride and joy.

My father told me once when I complained about this similar mishap: "Park it and don't drive it. Get an junky vehicle that can still pass an inspection and drive that, guarantee you won't have one rock bounce off the road and hit the windshield".

Lol, he was right!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well, the cars and pick ups that share the road are also prone to have "rocks" stuck between their tire treads and will "fling out", bounce off the road smacking into the windshield.

Don't even have to be close to any of them and all of a sudden that dreadful sound of a rock hitting the windshield is heard and then the risk of almost running off the road trying to find where it hit, lol ... not an eighteen wheeler in sight!

Where there are gravel roads and folks travel on before they hit the paved roads, there's most likely going to be rocks stuck to the tires ready to fly out and someone's pride and joy.

My father told me once when I complained about this similar mishap: "Park it and don't drive it. Get an junky vehicle that can still pass an inspection and drive that, guarantee you won't have one rock bounce off the road and hit the windshield".

Lol, he was right!
That reminds me of the old saying "beaters never die",lol

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If during the summer you get a lot of bug hits on your windshield you know the airflow sucks. Jeeps, Landcruiser and Ram pickups, to name just a few, get a lot of bug hits, thus a lot of rock hits. Lexus gets almost none of either in comparison. It has to do with the way the air is structured to flow over the windshield. A good air damn on the front of the hood, that actually directs the airflow over the windshield will help cut down on rocks and bugs.

1707933627397.jpeg

Ram 1500 Front Air Deflector
Part Number: 82212765
Other Name: Shield Ki-Air - Front
Smoke, for trucks built after 12/1/10, Ram Heavy Duty applications
$101.40 MSRP: $137.00
You Save: $35.60 (26%)
Fits the following Ram Models
  • 2011-2012 Ram 1500
  • Front Air Deflectors feature a wraparound style that creates an air stream to help direct insects and road spray up and away from the hood and windshield without adversely affecting wiper or washer operation. Constructed of shatter-resistant polymers and custom- molded to complement front-end styling.

rfells

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L eTorque
I have a 2021 Ram 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab. In late December, my wife and was in New Mexico. Terribly cold weather at that time. We came out that morning to take a trip to Albuquerque. We were about 10 minutes into our trip when my wife asked me if I knew there was a crack in the windshield. I didn't and had no known incidents of rocks hitting the windshield and on that particular trip, there was minimal traffic and wasn't following to closely to any other vehicles. The crack was about 5 inches long and was located on the passenger side starting just at the bottom of the reat

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If during the summer you get a lot of bug hits on your windshield you know the airflow sucks. Jeeps, Landcruiser and Ram pickups, to name just a few, get a lot of bug hits, thus a lot of rock hits. Lexus gets almost none of either in comparison. It has to do with the way the air is structured to flow over the windshield. A good air damn on the front of the hood, that actually directs the airflow over the windshield will help cut down on rocks and bugs.

View attachment 537499

Ram 1500 Front Air Deflector
Part Number: 82212765
Other Name: Shield Ki-Air - Front
Smoke, for trucks built after 12/1/10, Ram Heavy Duty applications
$101.40 MSRP: $137.00
You Save: $35.60 (26%)
Fits the following Ram Models
  • 2011-2012 Ram 1500
  • Front Air Deflectors feature a wraparound style that creates an air stream to help direct insects and road spray up and away from the hood and windshield without adversely affecting wiper or washer operation. Constructed of shatter-resistant polymers and custom- molded to complement front-end styling.
What I have on the front of MY 19 5th Gen, helps but no way U can eliminate karma.

IMG_0612.JPGIMG_0614.JPG

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So many possibilities, your current truck may have its hood front lower and more sloped than previous trucks so it directs stones more towards the windshield than say a more flattened and boxy Chevy front. Someone else might have changed their driving habits and now laying down more road debris overnight as a construction company found a new clean fill location and run your route to get between. More traffic as people are forced back to offices so more vehicles per square mile. In the end, mitigation is your key. Hood wind deflectors can only do so much. Maybe try a windshield film. On my last Ram I had the usual sandblasting by the road debris over the years and while never a chop or crack my ridge line between windshield and roof looked like the moon surface.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm on my 3rd windshield in as many years. Then the 3rd one got a dime size chip a few months after replacing it and Glass Doctor covered the REPAIR under warranty which I didn't know they did. I was pleasantly surprised that they would cover that considering it can just happen so randomly.

All my replacements were OEM with the logo. Didn't matter I guess. They're rock magnets.

Drove my 1998 Trans am for 20 years and not a mark on the original windshield. 1998 to 2018. I guess aerodynamics matter lol.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have my doubts that air flow at over the hood at normal highway speeds has much effect on rocks large enough to star or bullseye a windshield. Maybe smaller sand and such. Probably more the windshield angle and they are big windshields. I looked into some of the windshield protective films that came out several years ago. But reading the reports it appears they typically are starting to deteriorate and degrade around a year of age, requiring a new one every year or so. To much effort and expense.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have my doubts that air flow at over the hood at normal highway speeds has much effect on rocks large enough to star or bullseye a windshield. Maybe smaller sand and such. Probably more the windshield angle and they are big windshields. I looked into some of the windshield protective films that came out several years ago. But reading the reports it appears they typically are starting to deteriorate and degrade around a year of age, requiring a new one every year or so. To much effort and expense.
You are free to believe what you like, but my 1996 2500 had 3 windshields in it in 27 years, and it spent 80% of its time, not on pavement. One of those hits was a 6 pound rock tossed from the duals of a gravel truck, saw it coming and no, the deflector didn't move it a bit. :gr_grin: However, without the hood mounted deflector, here in Alberta that would usually be a windshield a year, at minimum. We tried them on Wranglers, which typically need 2 windshields a year up here, helped a bit but that windshield is just so straight up and down it still took a lot of hits. Helped a bunch with the bugs though.

The deflectors are $100 bucks,and easy to install. Even if it just saves the sand blasting and bug hits, still well worth the investment. Try one, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You are free to believe what you like, but my 1996 2500 had 3 windshields in it in 27 years, and it spent 80% of its time, not on pavement. One of those hits was a 6 pound rock tossed from the duals of a gravel truck, saw it coming and no, the deflector didn't move it a bit. :gr_grin: However, without the hood mounted deflector, here in Alberta that would usually be a windshield a year, at minimum. We tried them on Wranglers, which typically need 2 windshields a year up here, helped a bit but that windshield is just so straight up and down it still took a lot of hits. Helped a bunch with the bugs though.

The deflectors are $100 bucks,and easy to install. Even if it just saves the sand blasting and bug hits, still well worth the investment. Try one, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
I sold my 2000 Silverado last year when I bought my RAM. I had over 23 years of a lot of hunting and fishing off-road with it and in that time I had two small stars that got resined. Never had to replace it, and I didn't have a deflector.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat