WINDSHIELD DAMAGE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn now i'm feeling lucky,my 14 still has it's original windshield,lol
Same here but like rado said mine has specks everywhere and a few good chips part of me want to just make a claim as it is annoying to see.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Most of the sand blasting is actually caused by your own vehicle, though some is also caused by other vehicles. The closer you tend to follow other cars the more you will see this effect. Your front tires throw the small bits forward and those are what blasts your front and windshield. Deflectors help but don't totally eliminate this. You can polish your windshield to get rid of a lot of those marks. It is cheaper than a new windshield.

Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Got the fifth windshield in the lumber wagon. Good part, got rid of the Ram head.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Hey fellow Mainer this is spot on. My 14 looks like it has been sandblasted or like sand is permanently stuck in the windshield.
Hello from Dedham Maine ! Yea with all the sand and crap they put on the road it all flies around, :O
What area on Maine are you in?
Many RAMs here in the Bangor area

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Most of the sand blasting is actually caused by your own vehicle, though some is also caused by other vehicles. The closer you tend to follow other cars the more you will see this effect. Your front tires throw the small bits forward and those are what blasts your front and windshield. Deflectors help but don't totally eliminate this. You can polish your windshield to get rid of a lot of those marks. It is cheaper than a new windshield.
You can get a windshield polished ? I did not know that ! Would a shop like SIDELIGHT or NOVUS do it or is it a specialty shop ? Thanks

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I did my own, so no idea if there are shops that do it.
May I ask how tyou did it and what you used ? I am really interested !!! Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You can get a windshield polished ? I did not know that ! Would a shop like SIDELIGHT or NOVUS do it or is it a specialty shop ? Thanks
There's several video's on youtube showing how to polish glass,alot of them are also selling a product,but they give you the basic idea of how to do it.

Last edited:

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting may have to try this but I literally have hundreds of pits on my windshield.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello from Dedham Maine ! Yea with all the sand and crap they put on the road it all flies around, :O
What area on Maine are you in?
Many RAMs here in the Bangor area
Central Maine

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really don't understand the point of the OPs post...seems pretty simple to me...get father back or don't ride on rock filled roads right?i could understand his concerns if it just cracks all of a sudden with nothing hitting it.his habits havent changed but others may have and his roads are more filled with debris.this does seem more like a frustrating rant for him and i get that for sure along with a conversation starter piece for us to share our experiences.i didn't notice if he came back to chat or not(could have and I missed it but I m not going back to check)
Now mine/ours.
Wife's '03 4runner windshield cracked over night sitting in the driveway.wasnt there when she came home,next morning like a 10in.crack running sideways,i saw it clear as day next morning walking to my truck(i leave before her)...went back in and asked her about it.pass.side middle of window.now science would dictate something like temperature,vibration,stress something who knows.no hit on the outside(smooth as glass...lol),checked the cameras on house when i got home,no one entered the property,no giant load of petrified birds%$#,no animal was on the car,no trees for anything to fall out of,invisible aliens that had a beef with her windshield?florida does have a bunch of reports on alien sightings here..lol..I've seen 2 unexplainables with witness' beside me but that's a whole other can of worms to open up.
myself?,i would lean toward the temp.thing but this thing was 20 years old at the time so its had plenty of time to see more than likely every kind of possible heat/cold stress situation,so why?defective glass manufactering?after 20 years?doubt that..who knows and I'll never know.
Im open to thoughts from everyone on it.and dont go raggin on me about my aliens..lmao
But I aint losin sleep over it.
Little long but thats my experience on a windshield.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don't know where you are , but when cold, -20 ,30's I have seen when glass is cold and heater warmed up, then hit the blower will crack the windshield, usually at a stone chip
I have not had it happen for years , but the son's truck, 2012 has a crack all the way across.

If the glass was stressed , it should have cracked long time ago.
I had new glass installed on a 2005 and it cracked while the installers where putting it in , they have been doing glass for yrs , so I would say it was stress in the glass.

fitz011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Commercial vehicles are required to have comprehensive insurance to operate and if you can record a license plate with a time and location you may be able to be reimbursed for damages.
A dash camera also is helpful but not always necessary.
Here in Texas you eat it. Some 20+ yrs ago the state absolved all commercial vehicles from being accused of throwing debris into windshields. Dash Cam or not.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here in Texas you eat it. Some 20+ yrs ago the state absolved all commercial vehicles from being accused of throwing debris into windshields. Dash Cam or not.
Used to be, in CA, you could go to the DMV and pay $1 and they would run a license plate for you. I had a gravel truck dump some in front of me on the highway and it cracked my windshield. I passed him so it wouldn't happen again and a friend in the back seat got the license off the front of the rig. Went to DMV, paid my $1, and the license number came back as unknown/non-existent. That was in 1978.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes and no. Depends upon circumstances. Truck tarped, signage, warning signs stay back *** amount of feet, etc (referring to stuff on truck). But be hard to prove and be small claims court, but good luck on that. Now, stuff on a load that comes off a vehicle, (can even be a regular 1500, not have to be Big rig), like say metal parts, tires, stuff off of flat beds, blow outta truck beds, that is different. There is a specific charge in the TX TRC (traffic code), but again, now U need a PD report and proof. Dat be where the Dash cam is your friend: Gonna need time/gps stamp also, and crossed fingers and and and. Not an easy process, and time consuming and could be costly. That be more like an Insurance company going after an entity for a major payout, like say piping comes off a bed and totals a vehicle.

CAVEAT: Stuff being thrown up by a vehicle from a road surface like rocks and stuff, not happen. There is a big stink now over a construction company that did work on a State Hwy and there is so much debris on roadway, and peoples cars being damaged ref windshields, dents, scratches etc. PPL are trying to get re-imbursement. TXDOT said sorry Charlie, talk to your insurance company. PPL trying to get at construction company, that go no where either.

All above IMHO.

Last edited:

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know where you are , but when cold, -20 ,30's I have seen when glass is cold and heater warmed up, then hit the blower will crack the windshield, usually at a stone chip
I have not had it happen for years , but the son's truck, 2012 has a crack all the way across.

If the glass was stressed , it should have cracked long time ago.
I had new glass installed on a 2005 and it cracked while the installers where putting it in , they have been doing glass for yrs , so I would say it was stress in the glass.
SW fla..so it never gets that cold here,hell if we turn the heat on 2 times a year that would be alot,I agree with all you said...I kinda just chalked it up to "whatever" and forgot about why it happened.

Well, I just installed this. Maybe it will help...
View attachment 538246
Looks good on there.hope it helps .