Windshield wiper switch 2005 Dodge ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mustang51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
My windshield wiper switch has been giving me trouble. It used to be slow to turn off the wipers. Then the intermittent setting stopped working. A few days ago the wipers came on randomly without me turning them on. It took a while for them to stop.

I ordered a new Dorman brand switch from amazon and installed it. The intermittent doesn't work and the switch is slow to turn off the wipers (takes about 3 swipes before they stop.

Am I wrong about the switch being the problem or is the replacement likely bad?

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on a good brand for a replacement switch?

Thanks

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I was having similar issues about a year ago.I took the wiper motor apart,cleaned and regreased and it has worked fine since.Give it a try.Could be a $0.00 fix.Hope this works for you.Good luck.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I had similar problem. Took wiper motor apart and cleaned the contacts and all is well. My wipers were even spazzing when I hit the remote lock before I fixed them. Have some dielectric grease handy when you do this job so you aren't having to do it again in a year. Don't ask me how I know that.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
yes either replace the wiper motor or clean and regrease. the park position contact gets dirted up after a while

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So for the guys that come after me, it's not the motor housing, its the black plastic cover where the wire harness plugs in. Just remove the whole wiper assembly (3 bolts, you can leave the center bolt in place but loosen it and slide the assembly out). Just pop off that cover and clean with contact cleaner, de-oxit if you have any, and new dielectric grease. It will be obvious when you open it. Try not to blow grit into the worm gear.

Being stoopid, I took the motor cover off first. There was actually some rust in there so I cleaned that all up. So lucky accident. Smeared some silicone sealant over the seam after putting it back together to help keep it sealed.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Glad I found this thread, this just started happening to me this past week. Thank you guys!!!

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I wanted to follow up on this. My repair lasted about two weeks and of course the problem came back while it was raining. So, definitely try to fix it for free, but 20 year old contacts may require more attention.
I went ahead and just bought a new replacement unit since getting to it is such a PITA.

Rustbelt Bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Many Thanx For Your July Follow-Up,Big "O"..! Most Grateful to All You Fine Folks that reall threw in on this Whopper! Mine just started displaying the same "Mularkey Signs And Symptoms"..! I now know what path to take regarding this lil' ol' doozy on my 05'