Wiring Fire and Ice LED Tailgate Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigal12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just currently purchased the Fire and Ice LED Tailgate Bar, that operates with turn signals, break lights, and reverses lights. I am using my trailer hookup for my break lights, running lights, and turn signals. There is a separate wire for the reverse lights that you have to wire in. I am having trouble getting the reverse light wires hooked in properly. My truck is a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. Any ideas or suggestions on where I would hook into my truck wiring for the reverse light?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Splice into the wire going to one of the reverse lights?

JCJ4290

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The harness for the tail lights should meet up under the taillights somewhere behind the bumper on the inside of the frame. Gonna have to use a meter, but you could tap in at that point. This is the only reason that I won't get a bar, I absolutely hate the idea of tapping into existing wiring. I guess the alternative would be to buy both the female end and male end of the harness and make my own, but that's just too extensive.

OP
OP
B

Bigal12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well I have one open white wire that comes out where both of the harnesses meet up from each tail light and when I hook that up to the bar it turns the white lights on when I break but not when I am in reverse, just tried that wire. I was trying to avoid cutting into my wiring harness. Are the wires for the reverse lights usually white or green?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Well I have one open white wire that comes out where both of the harnesses meet up from each tail light and when I hook that up to the bar it turns the white lights on when I break but not when I am in reverse, just tried that wire. I was trying to avoid cutting into my wiring harness. Are the wires for the reverse lights usually white or green?

You only need to hook up one wire. I am going blank on what wire it us, but used these plugs BWD CT934 - Splice Connector | O'Reilly Auto Parts

So I wouldnt have to cut any wires and tired all three until I found the right one.

res1551cue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Be careful when using wire taps to splice into the vehicles electronic wiring. The wires are really small and if you ever decide to remove the wire and wire splice it will cut the wire in half. I know this as I have spent about $1000 replacing the wiring harnesses for my tails and head lights. My suggestion is to cut the colored wrap off the wires and solder the other wire on. This way if you ever want to remove it all you have to do is remove the solder plus it provide a cleaner and sturdier look.

RyanJM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express RC Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sliced mine directly into the tow harness. Gives you brake, turn, and reverse lights.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
All these responses about cutting into the harness just for the turn, brake, and park function and no one has mentioned the plug and play solution!?!!?!?!?

Goodness.

Well let me enlighten you. Purchase this harness here and it will make 3/4 of the install plug and play. For the reverse wire you take the white wire from the tailgate bar and use a T-Tap on the power wire going to the reverse bulb on your tail lights. Yes pull your tail light out it is only two bulbs and look at the only two wires going to the reverse bulb. Tap into the wires there so you will know for sure you are hitting the right one.

Easy as pie. Then you can have as many lights as you want while only having to splice for one wire.

IMG_20141004_184103402_HDR_zps7f600187.jpg

LABIGHORN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ it worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
All these responses about cutting into the harness just for the turn, brake, and park function and no one has mentioned the plug and play solution!?!!?!?!?

Goodness.

Well let me enlighten you. Purchase this harness here and it will make 3/4 of the install plug and play. For the reverse wire you take the white wire from the tailgate bar and use a T-Tap on the power wire going to the reverse bulb on your tail lights. Yes pull your tail light out it is only two bulbs and look at the only two wires going to the reverse bulb. Tap into the wires there so you will know for sure you are hitting the right one.

Easy as pie. Then you can have as many lights as you want while only having to splice for one wire.

IMG_20141004_184103402_HDR_zps7f600187.jpg

That's how I did it for my backup camera.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Goodness.

He has the tail, parking signals lights figured out. He was asking about the reverse wire.

I use that same harness for my bar plus like I stated earlier I tapped the reverse bulb for the back up lights. I also tapped the same wire for my back up camera.

LaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He has the tail, parking signals lights figured out. He was asking about the reverse wire.

I use that same harness for my bar plus like I stated earlier I tapped the reverse bulb for the back up lights. I also tapped the same wire for my back up camera.

@ BlownGP: Hey this is off topic but what brand of paint did you use for your calipers? and does it match pretty close to the Mango Tango color on the truck?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@ BlownGP: Hey this is off topic but what brand of paint did you use for your calipers? and does it match pretty close to the Mango Tango color on the truck?

No problems
duplicolor metalcast orange

I have a 09 which is called Sunburst Orange Metallic. Mango Tango was a 2010 color only.

You got a pm

Ray0214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You only need to hook up one wire. I am going blank on what wire it us, but used these plugs BWD CT934 - Splice Connector | O'Reilly Auto Parts

So I wouldnt have to cut any wires and tired all three until I found the right one.
According to Tech Authority, the wiring for the backup light in the taillight assembly is White w/red stripe. On a 7 pin factory installed plug, it is the center wire, also White w/red stripe. If you want wiring diagrams and color codes for your vehicle, check out Techauthorityonlinedemo. You just enter vin # and any wiring colors for your truck are shown

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Purchase the T-connector that Arth posted the link to. No need to splice/tap/cut any factory wiring. Every wire you need is in that T-connector.
Plug the 4 way connector from your tailgate bar and plug it into the 4 way connector on the T-connector. Splice the reverse wire from the tailgate bar to the center wire in the T-connector. Sit back and enjoy!! No need to touch the factory wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaycabral27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To find reverse wire on tailgate harness start truck and put it in reverse apply ebrake so you can get out od truck. Go to 7 pin trailer harness hook up multimeter to one pin at a time. One wire to one pin and the other to ground. You should be able to find the reverse wire this way. Double check after with car back in park. While in reverse should have 12v. When back in park should have 0v.

Bssc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
just ordered one for my oti7 light bar

Bssc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
installed sweet piece of kit I do suggest dialectic greasing for long term use