Wiring help. Please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael J Davis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I got a job repairing a 02 1500 with a 5.9 that had the common leak behind the timing cover. I also removed a **** ton of wires that were for an old alarm that was not being used as well as for what appears to have been the worst home done stereo system ever. I've got the wiring under the dash as close to cleaned up and back to stock as I can. At this point im getting a crank no start and suspect no power to the ignition, as I have no spark. I'm horrible with wiring and don't have a diagram of the truck to refer to if I knew how. But here's my question, the vehicle has been tampered with so much that I almost feel like running power to the coil through a switch in the dash is easier than trouble shooting the stock mess. Is that something that is as simple as I think it should be and if so what wire on the coil of the two would I be supplying 12v to in order to get the coil powered up.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
If it's a 5.9/360 magnum, there should only be one coil. An 02 ram is still technically a 2nd gen. The only major change was the body. TO the OP look for the 01 Factory Service manual linked on this site. It has a comprehensive wiring diagram for the full ignition circuit. I would verify that you have good power to the ASD relay as that allows the PCM to power on the ignition coil. Also verify power to the crank sensor as the PCM relies on this sensor to throw spark as well. Be careful thowing switches and 12v power on the circuits in these trucks. The PCMs are very sensitive to over voltage. If you tie 12v power into the wrong circuit you can say bye-bye to the PCM and be out about $500 for an 02 PCM.

Good luck.