won't start,can't move shifter,etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bodasn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my dealer is stumped. i have a 2020 1500 Laramie. the first time, i tried to remote start, all i got was 1 flash of lights. when i tried to start with the push button the screen started rolling alarms. have antilock check, have antiskid check trans not in park .need code for anti theft ,etc. key fobs did not work right. could not unlock tail gate. could not turn shift. could not go to off, would toggle between acc and run but no start. was towed to dealer. was told bad battery. multiple motors and switches turning off and on under hoods. will stop after 5minutes. happened twice today once while at an almost stop. used the tractor to move off the road. it start about ten minutes later backed it up went forward about 30 feet and it died. the guy drove it on to the roll back with door open. this truck shifts to park and applies the brakes upon door opening.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad BCM (Body Control Module) but that depends on whether or not the battery checks out.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Keep us posted as to what the problem is, that is interesting (not in a good way)

OP
OP
B

bodasn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
they replaced the battery on first visit. before the tow guy got there , my meter read 12.6 volts. my charger indicated it was charged.

OP
OP
B

bodasn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
less than a week on new battery and 300 miles. voltmeter on dash reads 14.2 charging when running

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Bad computer or a bad ground somewhere. Good luck

OP
OP
B

bodasn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
it has been 3 days. it finally showed a chassis fault. they want to keep a couple more days to see if they got it.

OP
OP
B

bodasn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
went to a different dealer today. this time show check engine light besides the rolling codes. they were able to read all 63 codes. they cleared all of them. guess what, nothing now shows up wrong. i do have it messing up on video . had for 3 days again.
this time was able to start after wiggling the shift knob. I believed it started in gear. it felt like it rolled forward a little before the parking brake engaged by itself and would have shifted to park. door was open with seat belt off. i was trying to trick it to go in park by itself.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
truck shifts to park and applies the brakes upon door opening.

That is a safety feature, they sent me a notice to bring my Ram in to make the change, I declined

OP
OP
B

bodasn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
back to dealer for 4th time .they can now read codes. replace the shifter switch. we will see.

OP
OP
B

bodasn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
been at dealer another week. they believed they have traced an open that is occurring in the transmission shifting module. they could make it repeat by moving the connector. we shall see.

OP
OP
B

bodasn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
been back a 5 th time . replacing the shift modules inside transmission