Won't Start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jock Hiltz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my 318 first gen won't start... solenoid clicks but that is it. I pulled the starter off and bench tested it and it performed as should, I tried a fresh battery and replaced the starter relay... I also ran a ground from the battery to the starter incase it had a bad ground. Still only get the click and that's it... thoughts?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check all your connections from the starter back to the battery. Sounds like you’re not getting voltage through somewhere

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
did you open the solenoid up when you had it off? good chance it may have worn contacts. if that is not the issue have you checked battery voltage? it sounds like the starter is not getting enough power which could be a low battery or bad contacts. there is no load on it while bench testing so doesn't require as much power.
Wb6sAlpSaiUtJKXV-C8UJZZJQev-mlFoZDU6I=w834-h625-no.jpg

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Beyond supply voltage, it would help you to know what the starter is drawing (amps). If you don't have and/or can't acquire the means to check the draw, it might be approaching a dollars-to-donuts bet that the starter is done.

OP
OP
J

Jock Hiltz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
did you open the solenoid up when you had it off? good chance it may have worn contacts. if that is not the issue have you checked battery voltage? it sounds like the starter is not getting enough power which could be a low battery or bad contacts. there is no load on it while bench testing so doesn't require as much power.
Wb6sAlpSaiUtJKXV-C8UJZZJQev-mlFoZDU6I=w834-h625-no.jpg

I put a fresh battery in it but didn't open the solenoid up... if the contact are worn is it just best to get a new starter?

OP
OP
J

Jock Hiltz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Beyond supply voltage, it would help you to know what the starter is drawing (amps). If you don't have and/or can't acquire the means to check the draw, it might be approaching a dollars-to-donuts bet that the starter is done.

hahaha I've replaced everything but the starter... I currently dont have an current meter... couple get a clamp over one from work... but if the current is off is it a new starter anyway?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i would still recommend checking the solenoid contacts before replacing the starter. they are the most common wear part on this style starter. usually the motors outlast a couple sets of contacts.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
It's a great feeling when you go through the starting drill and you hear it crank and start.:)