Worthless phone holder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I just bought a truck with 110 volt outlets and a phone holder in the front of the console that is worthless to me. I can live with the high voltage, but is there a reasonable way to remove the phone holder to free up the console space, or is it something I just need to live with?

OP
OP
rvance

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I mount my phone in a magnetic mount on top of the dash just to the left of the little tray. That way I can see the GPS without looking down from the road. Someone said that it would charge an IPhone without a cable, but I have an Android. Plus it's just ugly and takes up room.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mount my phone in a magnetic mount on top of the dash just to the left of the little tray. That way I can see the GPS without looking down from the road. Someone said that it would charge an IPhone without a cable, but I have an Android. Plus it's just ugly and takes up room.
Coincidentally this is exactly the same kind of mount I have in the exact same place.
A few years ago I hit a patch of black ice in the truck and hit the ditch at ~100km/h sideways. Phone didn't even come off the magnetic holder, needed an alignment and a fresh pair of undies after using 4lo to get out of the snow filled ditch though. Have been pretty sold on the magnetic holders since then though, if it'll hold my phone through that I can't see how it couldn't hold up to everyone's driving styles.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the phone holder. I use it everyday, but it does cause you to look down if you were to use your phones gps of course. Also with all the room in center console combined i dont know what I would possibly need more room in the front area for. Maybe horder storage?. 6 pack?

Last edited:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my thought is to go out and buy a brand new truck that fits your cell phone .Problem fixed

OP
OP
rvance

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I like the phone holder. I use it everyday, but it does cause you to look down if you were to use your phones gps of course. Also with all the room in center console combined i dont know what I would possibly need more room in the front area for. Maybe horder storage?. 6 pack?
I can live with it if I have to. I just really wanted to know if it was difficult to change the bin on the console to one without the phone holder.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can live with it if I have to. I just really wanted to know if it was difficult to change the bin on the console to one without the phone holder.
It seams like it definitely able to be removed. Its soft rubber like material so im sure it it just pinched in-between the console at some point or screwed in. With all the mods people have made here l, im sure there is someone who has the correct answer.

OP
OP
rvance

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
It seams like it definitely able to be removed. Its soft rubber like material so im sure it it just pinched in-between the console at some point or screwed in. With all the mods people have made here l, im sure there is someone who has the correct answer.
That's what I was thinking. I have seen this style of console without the phone holder. I could find the parts, but instructions on taking the console apart are hard to find.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

Actually, if your Android can handle wireless charging the holder will charge it. If you use Android Auto you can connect it to your dash screen and enjoy the larger image compared to your phone while it's being charged.

OP
OP
rvance

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Actually, if your Android can handle wireless charging the holder will charge it. If you use Android Auto you can connect it to your dash screen and enjoy the larger image compared to your phone while it's being charged.
I use a One Plus 7 Pro. I don't think it charges that way. I also don't think that my screen will do that.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I use a One Plus 7 Pro. I don't think it charges that way. I also don't think that my screen will do that.

Your phone doesn't support wireless charging and I can't tell what you have for a head unit. Android is supported on 2018 up Rams but not all radios. You'll need to check if yours is comparable. If so, download the app on your phone, plug in your phone and see what you have. Nope, neither carplay or Android support wireless connection IIRC.

OP
OP
rvance

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Your phone doesn't support wireless charging and I can't tell what you have for a head unit. Android is supported on 2018 up Rams but not all radios. You'll need to check if yours is comparable. If so, download the app on your phone, plug in your phone and see what you have. Nope, neither carplay or Android support wireless connection IIRC.
Yeah, I have the slightly above normal truck radio. It doesn't support it. But then I don't have any use for it either. I drive a truck. Thanks anyway. I did a little research on my own. I want less gadgets, not more. I see the most complaints about the most over equipped trucks.