Worthless phone holder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rvance

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Ya see, youse guys gots the super trucks with the home entertainment center. I have a pickup truck with a radio. Mine don't do that *****. It barely plays the radio. It also didn't cost more than my house. How much was it for the stainless steel shift knob?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
With all the console space in these trucks I find it odd you need that little bit more. What annoys me is that the one 12v cig style plug is in there where if it was a dual usb I could mount 2 phones and charge them without having a mess of cords or buying a car charger that always wiggles loose. And in the console is 2 usb so If I plug in something 12v the cord is either in the back where the kids kick it or in my way. The link above does show you how to remove it.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I mount my phone in a magnetic mount on top of the dash just to the left of the little tray. That way I can see the GPS without looking down from the road. Someone said that it would charge an IPhone without a cable, but I have an Android. Plus it's just ugly and takes up room.

I love my phone holder and it does a great job. The factory phone holder will charge any cell phone without the use of a cable as long as the phone is made for wireless charging. Not all iPhones or other brand phones come built for wireless charging.

OP
OP
rvance

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
With all the console space in these trucks I find it odd you need that little bit more. What annoys me is that the one 12v cig style plug is in there where if it was a dual usb I could mount 2 phones and charge them without having a mess of cords or buying a car charger that always wiggles loose. And in the console is 2 usb so If I plug in something 12v the cord is either in the back where the kids kick it or in my way. The link above does show you how to remove it.
I found a lighter plug in adapter that fits flush on Amazon. It has 2 plugs and doesn't stick out at all. I use the in - console USB for the music drive. (as long as I have all this floofy stuff I might as well use it.)

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks! Any idea what I will be looking at with it gone?
Looking at my truck which is a 16 limited this morning and the plastic sides of the console actually radius into the rubber phone holder, so removing it is going to be an obvious alteration. Maybe if you really don't care then carefully cut it flush some how leaving it partially there to fill the void removing it will make. Just doesn't seam all that worth it to me for so little gain.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a truck with 110 volt outlets and a phone holder in the front of the console that is worthless to me. I can live with the high voltage, but is there a reasonable way to remove the phone holder to free up the console space, or is it something I just need to live with?
In console in mine is the nfc charger. I use a windshield mount for my phone so it is in plain view.

OP
OP
rvance

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Looking at my truck which is a 16 limited this morning and the plastic sides of the console actually radius into the rubber phone holder, so removing it is going to be an obvious alteration. Maybe if you really don't care then carefully cut it flush some how leaving it partially there to fill the void removing it will make. Just doesn't seam all that worth it to me for so little gain.
Agreed. I would like a plain bucket, or one with the sliding cover. I think I will just ignore it.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed. I would like a plain bucket, or one with the sliding cover. I think I will just ignore it.
I have the one with the sliding cover. Owned this truck since October 28th..... Never closed it once.
I personally wanted a "truck", I wanted a key, column shifter and simple climate controls that I could operate without having to figure it out. The ONLY way i could really find that was in a 2500, But in communist NY you have to register them commercial plates which limits me to the highway only. So I found this space ship with every option...... And now im getting really used to it [emoji4][emoji106]

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I like the sliding cover. I rarely open it unless.I have more than 2 drinks. I've now learned instead of buying regular bottles of water I can just keep a gallon in the centre. Thanks @JB1

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a ‘premium’ magnetic phone holder just above my # 2 vent which has only dropped the phone a couple times over RR tracks. In those cases it dropped straight down. A few days ago I barreled into an exit ramp that had a little speed bump a short ways in. The phone fell off and traveled to about 8 o’clock and on the way hit the fob and shut the truck off. All of a sudden the gauges are at zero, the truck is quiet as hell and the steering is a little stiff. It took me about 3 seconds to realize what happened and I restarted it. The kind of thing that never would have happened 20 years ago with ignition on the column and no cell phone.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a ‘premium’ magnetic phone holder just above my # 2 vent which has only dropped the phone a couple times over RR tracks. In those cases it dropped straight down. A few days ago I barreled into an exit ramp that had a little speed bump a short ways in. The phone fell off and traveled to about 8 o’clock and on the way hit the fob and shut the truck off. All of a sudden the gauges are at zero, the truck is quiet as hell and the steering is a little stiff. It took me about 3 seconds to realize what happened and I restarted it. The kind of thing that never would have happened 20 years ago with ignition on the column and no cell phone.
The phone hit the fob or the start button? Either way my truck wont allow me to shut it off until I have it in park. What year and ignition setup is your truck to allow that?

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The phone hit the fob or the start button? Either way my truck wont allow me to shut it off until I have it in park. What year and ignition setup is your truck to allow that?

I’m guessing it hit the fob because I don’t have a start button . 2017 Express