Wrecking Yard Upgrades!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ehmcj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So after reading Outlaw Truckers thread on upgrading the cluster on the Express, I got to thinking about what else I could upgrade from the wrecking yard to make my <$20K Express have some of the options from a >$30K Sport.

First thing that came to mind was a leather wheel with audio controls. So back to car-part.com to find a local source for a leather wheel. Junk yards generally wont sell the wheel only, but will attached to a column. So I found one in NY and ordered it in.

The wheel fit perfect, and the added bonus was the steering wheels controlled my RA1 Uconnect 3.0 perfect!

The wheel came out of an 8sp truck so it also had the gear +/- buttons above the cruise control - those did not work - there appears to be an additional harness coming thru the clock-spring. I had hoped they would, but not enough to attempt to swap the clock-spring from the 8sp column. I will end up swapping the SW buttons back to my OEM ones at some point.

Overall I spent $240 tax in on a leather wheel with radio controls - very happy!

Future Wrecking yard upgrades - 3.92 rear axle with posi, Uconnect 8.4 (has anybody swapped an 8.4 into a truck equipped with a 3.0?), headliner with storage and homelink.....

E popa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 blackout ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
I'm looking for a center console and possible two front sport seats for my Gen3.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Check the audio section about the 8.4, I don't believe it works (I was shocked by that) but there a lot that the 8.4 controls vs the 3.0. I'm sure someone else will chime in. And nice job with the steering wheel.