Year over year 5.7 engine differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hal9000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure this is common knowledge to some, but not me... Aside from intake manifold, what are the differences between the 3rd and 4th gen 5.7 hemi?

Reason I ask, I eventually need to deal with the failing lifter in my 4th gen. There are a handful of running or build able 3rd gen 5.7's available for not very much, but 4th gens are rare and much more pricey. If the engines are internally identical or only have slight component differences, maybe it would make sense to rebuild one to 4th gen specs then just swap motors....

Thanks all.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The tone rings on the crank and cams used for timing are different.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm sure this is common knowledge to some, but not me... Aside from intake manifold, what are the differences between the 3rd and 4th gen 5.7 hemi?

Reason I ask, I eventually need to deal with the failing lifter in my 4th gen. There are a handful of running or build able 3rd gen 5.7's available for not very much, but 4th gens are rare and much more pricey. If the engines are internally identical or only have slight component differences, maybe it would make sense to rebuild one to 4th gen specs then just swap motors....

Thanks all.
I don't think the 3rd Gen 5.7's have the internal oil passages in the block for the VVT.

OP
OP
H

hal9000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, thanks for the info guys. That's what I needed to know. Not a big complication, but it does close off one option for a cheap R&R. But I learned something which is always nice :)

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
First few years the third gen had issues had issues with intake and valve springs. All are prone to issues with valve seats, but you get some high milers.

The 4th gen saw a new block with higher target compression, changes to valve springs, stronger crankshaft with a different profile, active intake, and a few others. This video covers a bunch with side by side comparisons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhXOjR8qqhQ