Yet another spacer question from a NOOB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

007RAMBIGHORN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all - I am brand new to the Dodge Ram world having just acquired a 2010 Big Horn Edition 4WD bone stock So far so good with the truck, so now let the mods begin! I need some newbie advice. Let me caveat this by saying I have used the "search" box to first find my answer, but have been unsuccessful in finding a solid reply. I have the stock 20" chrome clad wheels and just put on some Mickey Thompson 305/55/20 MTZ's. I was hoping to get lucky and not have any rubbing issues (seems like it'***** or miss with these trucks), but unfortunately I think b/c of the aggressive sidewall pattern, I have some slight rubbing on the front tires to the control arms. My questions are as follows: 1) If I get 1/4" Hub Centric to Vehicle and Wheel Centric to Wheel spacers (from Motorsport Tech) will I need to order two sets for front and rear or just one set for the front. 2) Can I avoid using spacers if I get the 2.5 level from HBS - will it still rub? Thanks for your help.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome!!! Im not an expert on these new trucks so Im a little confused. If the fronts of these new trucks are ifs then why do they have control arms? I thought those were on sfa trucks?

You sure they are hitting some of the plastic? But foe spacers i believe you could use hubcentric on both sides. Or go cheap and get some washers from the hardware store and more the wheel out a smidge. Just make sure the lug nuts get a good bite.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome!!! Im not an expert on these new trucks so Im a little confused. If the fronts of these new trucks are ifs then why do they have control arms? I thought those were on sfa trucks?

The knuckle has to connect to the frame some how. SFA's don't have control arms because the knuckles attach directly to the axle while IFS trucks need control arms otherwise you can't have wheels in the front.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't believe the leveling kit will help as your issue is tire width related. Yes you will need a set of wheel spacers for front and rear. I had the same problem and I have 1 1/2" spacers on each wheel.

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The knuckle has to connect to the frame some how. SFA's don't have control arms because the knuckles attach directly to the axle while IFS trucks need control arms otherwise you can't have wheels in the front.

Ok got yeah was getting parts confused i was thinking the control arms were what held the axle in place on an sfa. Ifs has A arms. Which are the same thing my bad. Carry on I will just go hide in my hole now. Loo

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol, you are actually correct with that I do believe. on sfa's, control arms are simple tube arms that help keep the axle in place but on ifs, controls arms are also known as a-arms and are completely different. I don't know why they make two parts that are completely different share the same name but whatever, lol.

To the OP...Like Nim81 said, if you tires are indeed rubbing on your control arms, then you will need spacers and you will need to order a set for both front and rear. Well, ordering a set for both front and rear really isn't a need to do thing but more along the line of a cosmetics things. If you put one set of wheels out you might as well do the other because then it would look a little odd, especially if you go for wider spacers. The leveling kit would only help if you are rubbing the inner fenders like most people do that get aftermarket wheels and off-road tires before a leveling kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP

007RAMBIGHORN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks everyone for the replies. Now you all have me thinking...will a 1/4" spacer be enough to clear the stock 20" wheels with 305/55/20 M/T(s)? I've seen a lot of threads say 1/4" is good enough, but was wondering what you all thought.

dankohler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 33x12.5x20 Mud Grapplers on stock rims with 1/4 inch spacer and it gives just enough clearance to not hit. They are actually a bit wider than your tire.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Actually it's not hit or miss. 305's will rub on the stock chrome clads. They fit on the 20x8 non chrome clad 20's. As said raising the front will not solve this. Personally I would get 4 spacers but like said above not needed

11ram4bada

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 speed
I have Trail Grapplers 295/65 on the chrome clad, and they rubbed only at full lock. i have recently installed 1/4 in spacers, which fixed that problem. I only installed the spacers on the front, pretty hard to eyeball a 1/4 in so it doesnt look weird at all.