Another speaker question (9 speaker Alpine)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I have already replaced the dash and rear door speakers with Infinity Refs and it made a huge difference. However, I haven't done the front door speakers because I read somewhere that those speakers are wired for bass only and the stock ones are actually really good for that. It suggested that replacing them with 2-way or 3-way speakers might actually mess things up and likely not worth the effort.

Just curious if anyone can confirm or deny that. I'd love to drop some Refs in there. Thanks.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Front doors have a crossover and split the signal to only get mid range/low end. The dash get the treble etc. the rear doors are full range. 1 or 2ways at max in the front doors since they don’t get full range. But they are also shallower and you would limit your speaker selection and might need spacers of some kind. Most switch to a 6.5” with an adapter. I would advise against that and run stock in the front doors unless you run an amp and push full range there.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Front doors have a crossover and split the signal to only get mid range/low end. The dash get the treble etc. the rear doors are full range. 1 or 2ways at max in the front doors since they don’t get full range. But they are also shallower and you would limit your speaker selection and might need spacers of some kind. Most switch to a 6.5” with an adapter. I would advise against that and run stock in the front doors unless you run an amp and push full range there.
Well, shoot. Thanks for the info. I think I'll just leave it alone.

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
It’s all a matter of what you are hoping to accomplish. Yes, the front door speakers are crossed over to put out only the low and low end mid frequencies. But, the stock speakers suck. You can get a reasonably cheap replacement, which will provide more/cleaner low frequencies/bass without amplifying further.

Ex: the CDT CL-69S, or CDT CL-69Sub. Both are appx $120, and are far superior to the stock 6x9s, especially when it comes to midbass/bass response. The CL-69S will fit as a direct replacement, for the CL-69Sub, you will need a .25” spacer

skates15

Reaction score
It’s all a matter of what you are hoping to accomplish. Yes, the front door speakers are crossed over to put out only the low and low end mid frequencies. But, the stock speakers suck. You can get a reasonably cheap replacement, which will provide more/cleaner low frequencies/bass without amplifying further.

Ex: the CDT CL-69S, or CDT CL-69Sub. Both are appx $120, and are far superior to the stock 6x9s, especially when it comes to midbass/bass response. The CL-69S will fit as a direct replacement, for the CL-69Sub, you will need a .25” spacer
I have the CDT-69S in the front speakers and they are tight. I tried Kenwood in the rear and dash and returned them and went with all CDT which was the best decision. The wideband speakers are really good, highly recommend them.

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
I have the CDT-69S in the front speakers and they are tight. I tried Kenwood in the rear and dash and returned them and went with all CDT which was the best decision. The wideband speakers are really good, highly recommend them.
The Unity 8.0? I had those on the dash in my last truck, definitely nice

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8

Interesting. Would you recommend anything in the infinity Reference series as a replacement? Just curious since I have Refs everywhere else. Not familiar with CDT speakers.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I cant seem to find those on Crutchfield. Have a link to them? CDT-69s per chance?

skates15

Reaction score
The Unity 8.0? I had those on the dash in my last truck, definitely nice
I bought the Unity 8+ because they were on sale over December and the price was good. They are excellent.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They aren't on Amazon either. Had to go straight to the website. Still never heard of them.

So whats so special about these speakers? Are they really that good sounding? Im usually a brand junky and have never heard of these

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
They aren't on Amazon either. Had to go straight to the website. Still never heard of them.

So whats so special about these speakers? Are they really that good sounding? Im usually a brand junky and have never heard of these

They sell direct only. Occasionally will find a pair on Amazon through a 3rd party, but not through any retailers that I'm aware of.

I believe they've been around about 20 years, but always selling just this way. Special? Nothing really, they are just very good quality at that price point. They don't necessariy compare to Audiofrog, Morel, Focal, Helix, etc. But for around $100 a pair, you can't beat it - especially for a midbass speaker. I had Infiniti reference 6x9's in the doors before trying out the CDT, and the CDT's had deeper/stronger bass response. I had never heard of them either, before hearing about them on another Ram forum.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They sell direct only. Occasionally will find a pair on Amazon through a 3rd party, but not through any retailers that I'm aware of.

I believe they've been around about 20 years, but always selling just this way. Special? Nothing really, they are just very good quality at that price point. They don't necessariy compare to Audiofrog, Morel, Focal, Helix, etc. But for around $100 a pair, you can't beat it - especially for a midbass speaker. I had Infiniti reference 6x9's in the doors before trying out the CDT, and the CDT's had deeper/stronger bass response. I had never heard of them either, before hearing about them on another Ram forum.

They make an entire drop in 6 speaker replacement set for 419 bucks

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
CDT speakers can be purchased at almost any reputable car audio shop usually considered a low end, decent speaker. Definitely wouldn't put them in the class of anywhere near a Kenwood Pioneer kicker or Rockford or Alpine.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I think I might just get some 2-way Infinity Refs and drop them in. $104 on Amazon.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
CDT speakers can be purchased at almost any reputable car audio shop usually considered a low end, decent speaker. Definitely wouldn't put them in the class of anywhere near a Kenwood Pioneer kicker or Rockford or Alpine.
As in the CDT speakers are better or worse than the big name brands like spline, kicker etc?

skates15

Reaction score
As in the CDT speakers are better or worse than the big name brands like spline, kicker etc?
I put Kenwood 3.5" speakers in my 23 1500 to replace the stock alpine and soundstage was better but not much better. I put them in the dash and rear headliner and in the case of the headliner, the sound was louder but just so-so.

I bought the CDT Unity 8+ which are wide band speakers, only 2" and I got the 4ohm version for the dash and rear headliner (I like a bit of rear soundstage). Wow, those little wide band speakers provide both highs and tight bass response.

The rear headliner speakers are much louder even though they are 4ohms vs. OEM 2ohm and pretty clear.

Sound separation on the dash is much better from left to right, very noticeable and finally there is definition now in the sound, regardless if low or high volume.

These speakers will be even better once I get an amp/dsp, but for now I'm very satisfied that I returned the ken woods and got these.

The Kenwoods I returned were the Excel on KFC-X3C, they were no comparison to the CDT widebands.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Which cdt's for the dash are you running? Replaced all 3?

skates15

Reaction score
Which cdt's for the dash are you running? Replaced all 3?
I got the Unity 8+ for all 3 in the dash and the rear headliner. Initially I installed just the left and right in the dash and listened to some music (no center speaker installed) and then added the center speaker and that was the best soundstage for me, it seemed to widen the front stage plus you still get good separation between left and right dash speakers.

I sent a question to CDT support about the speakers and they responded that the center speaker would 'waken up' the front stage.

The OEM speakers in the dash are center speaker heavy, you can tell, but with the CDT for all 3 speakers everything seems to blend well now.

CDT has a package system with wideband speakers for the 5th gen ram, but they use the Unity 7 wide bands and the Unity 8 are not much more. They do have a pod for the center speaker to bounce the image off the windshield.as part of the package but I didn't go with that, just bought the Unity 8+ which was on sale, 4ohms, 5 year warranty.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got the Unity 8+ for all 3 in the dash and the rear headliner. Initially I installed just the left and right in the dash and listened to some music (no center speaker installed) and then added the center speaker and that was the best soundstage for me, it seemed to widen the front stage plus you still get good separation between left and right dash speakers.

I sent a question to CDT support about the speakers and they responded that the center speaker would 'waken up' the front stage.

The OEM speakers in the dash are center speaker heavy, you can tell, but with the CDT for all 3 speakers everything seems to blend well now.

CDT has a package system with wideband speakers for the 5th gen ram, but they use the Unity 7 wide bands and the Unity 8 are not much more. They do have a pod for the center speaker to bounce the image off the windshield.as part of the package but I didn't go with that, just bought the Unity 8+ which was on sale, 4ohms, 5 year warranty.
Mines a 16 but still has the alpine, have 3 infinity dash speakers now, always room for improvement!
Adding an alpine sub amp and 12" sub i have from my last 3rd gen very soon. I replaced rear doors with infinity also, definitely better but i would do all CDT if this wide band stuff is gonna make a difference!