Advice!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
Alright guys so this will be my first time towing with my truck.

I am going to be going 1400 miles, from Vegas to Texas.

I am going to rent a U-Haul car trailer and tow my girls 09 Equinox(small chevy suv)

I know the ass is gonna sag bad so i was planning on doing Airlift bags.

Anything else? the truck will be able to handle it no problem right?

I have a 14' Laramie 4x4 with the 5.7 and 8spd with 3.92's.

I also have the integrated trailer brake from the factory.

Thank you!

Joe

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You should have no issues at all..youve only got about 6000lbs there max..do you have a weight distributing hitch?

OP
OP

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
no i do not have one, should i get one?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Your good. I would haul that with my truck all day long 6 speed 3.55. I would say you probably won't even need the air bags but they will help. U haul trailers are kinda short so it's hard to adjust the vehicle just right. You want your truck to sit level. Uhaul trailer have surge brakes so you won't get to use your brake controler this time around but it's nice to have, love mine.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
no i do not have one, should i get one?

I think I would pass on the WD they are nice but I don't think you'll have that much tounge weight to need one.

I will suggest loading all luggage in the back of the equinox and keep as little as possible in the bed of your truck.

Last edited:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep no electric brakes on uhaul trailers. They are hydraulic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
shouldn't have any issues, i hauled a 8k lb tractor and the truck handled it like a champ. i do suggest air bags because if you drive at night the squat will lift your front enough that your headlights will cause a lot of rage especially since you have HIDs

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I think I would pass on the WD they are nice but I don't think you'll have that much tounge weight to need one.

I will suggest loading all luggage in the back of the equinox and keep as little as possible in the bed of your truck.

I would be cautious about putting all your luggage in the back of the Equinox. Better to have a little too much tongue weight than too little. Get the car, and trailer hooked up, then distribute the remaining loose stuff. You should be fine though, just leave a little extra following distance, and downshift to brake when possible.

OP
OP

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
sweet thanks guys! i won't really have any luggage at all, the moving company is moving all of our stuff, so it will be minimal. I was more worried about the squatting in the ass and i will order some airbags!! I want it to be as level as possible especially since we might hit some snow on the way driving through AZ and NM

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would be cautious about putting all your luggage in the back of the Equinox. Better to have a little too much tongue weight than too little. Get the car, and trailer hooked up, then distribute the remaining loose stuff. You should be fine though, just leave a little extra following distance, and downshift to brake when possible.

Yes to little tounge weight is bad to much is just as bad if not worse. Both will cause your trailer to sway, but to much tounge will cause your your front wheels to slide easier wether that's brakeing or turning I would rather have a light hitch weight over a heavy one any day.

Your trailer won't be that hard to level out especially if you have air bags. When you load the suv up run it up till you have 3-4 inches of squat on the truck and then air up your bags till its sitting level witch is about 2 inches of squat. If you max out the air bags before it levels off move the suv back some if possible till your truck sits level. The only issue is the uhaul trailers are short I believe they are only 15 ft 4 inches. If it was a standered 16-18 ft car hauler there would be no issues.

OP
OP

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
i hear ya, i appreciate it! hopefully get it all worked out. I hope this thing tows this trailer like a beast!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
i hear ya, i appreciate it! hopefully get it all worked out. I hope this thing tows this trailer like a beast!

It should I pulled a buddy's jeep and didn't even hardly feel it, you have the 8 speed 3.92 probably won't even know it's there.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Agree with others no problem I have towed much more weight without WD and it was fine. WD is really nice to have but not required for that load.

OP
OP

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
Sweet sounds good! Airbags it is!! Do I have to buy a specific hitch? Like the actual part that goes into the truck?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Sweet sounds good! Airbags it is!! Do I have to buy a specific hitch? Like the actual part that goes into the truck?

If you don't have a reciver bar you'll need one. You can actually pick one up at u haul when you go to pick up the trailer they carry everything you'll need, plus you can get the right size ball to fit the trailer.

OP
OP

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
Sweet thanks man. From looking at pics it doesn't even look like the truck will squat much without the bags, should I get them anyways?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
One that is rated for 15% more than you will be towing would be ideal. I would do with one rated for 10,000 lbs so you have plenty of room in case you tow note down the road. You can't really go to heavy duty but certainly can go under. If the ball is 2" for that rental then it is harder to find ball rated for 10k but they exist I have some. If it is 2-5/16" then much easier to find. You won't need a huge amount of drop because with car on there it will lower the bumper anyway unless you do indeed get the bags before the trip. You will need 2" ballmount to slide into the receiver and there are tons of choices. If you want to keep weight down an aluminum one is nice. If it was me I would get a 2" drop at most unless adjustable as that will likely keep most trailers in happy place with bags.
I use the hitch like this below. They are beast and expensive but if you intend to tow a lot in the future they are amazing.
Not needed to get the job done! I have use many $30 to $50 setups and they were fine too.
http://www.shockerhitch.com/mReceiver_Hitch.php

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
One that is rated for 15% more than you will be towing would be ideal. I would do with one rated for 10,000 lbs so you have plenty of room in case you tow note down the road. You can't really go to heavy duty but certainly can go under. If the ball is 2" for that rental then it is harder to find ball rated for 10k but they exist I have some. If it is 2-5/16" then much easier to find. You won't need a huge amount of drop because with car on there it will lower the bumper anyway unless you do indeed get the bags before the trip. You will need 2" ballmount to slide into the receiver and there are tons of choices. If you want to keep weight down an aluminum one is nice. If it was me I would get a 2" drop at most unless adjustable as that will likely keep most trailers in happy place with bags.
I use the hitch like this below. They are beast and expensive but if you intend to tow a lot in the future they are amazing.
Not needed to get the job done! I have use many $30 to $50 setups and they were fine too.
Shocker Hitch - Air Suspension Trailer Hitches

Lots of good info ^^. I run 2 in drop on my truck the 5 in is to much( my truck is 4x4 its ok if the trailer sits nose high unloaded once you get weight on it it'll ride level) I think on u hauls web page says there car trailers are 2in ball. I would pick up a 2in ball that's rated up to 7000lbs if you find one rated higher great but 7k will be fine. I haven't seen a 2in coupler that is rated higher than 7k (I'm Sure they are out there just a rarity). As far as the air bags go they are cheep easy to install and always useful and could make your 1400 mile trip more plesent. Do you have to have them? My answer is no you would make it just fine. the air bags won't increase your payload they will just help level the truck out and make it a little stiffer :)naughty:) to help handle the load a little better.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The ones easiest to find with 10k rating are the convert a ball with inch shank. I prefer to have too much so I am not killing someone or wrecking stuff. If you have a Fleet Farm where you live they have convert a ball in stock. It is rated for 10k with all size balls if SS 1" shank.

OP
OP

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
awesome guys!! i really appreciate all the help!! I think ill be set. I have a ball and a receiver input right now i used from uhaul a while back, ill have to check the ball rating. And i will deff order the bags, 1400 miles is a long time to drive and not be comfortable lol