Casual inquiry...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do you folks tend to " over buy " when it comes to your trucks ? For example my Nissan Titan had every boxed ticked off in it. But I can honestly say I only used 1/3 of what I paid for. Had a sunroof that I never opened, powered pedals that I never used, navi that sat etc etc etc.

My point is would it be wiser to start with a lower trim vehicle and then add our wants ? This was brought to my attention from one of my accountants hence why I purchased a BigHorn for my last vehicle. I've only added what I wanted and haven't paid for what I do not need.

Now again this is no way meant to bash those with all of the bells and whistles. Just want to see if folks would have done things differently if they could have.

Father Of Four

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, my wife's SUV has all the bells n whistles that she HAD to have.... needless to say she has probably only used a couple of them once or twice in 3 years!!!

That's why I bought a Big Horn, just enough extra's without costing me a lot more money.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought a Tradesman with major things I couldn't add later, like 8sp, Hemi, and 4x4.

I have slowly added the things I wanted, Uconnect 5.0($100), Leather steering wheel($75), mic mirror for Bluetooth ($50), Factory Brake controller $(185), Tow mirrors($175), and more to come, but cheaper than paying interest on that for 4 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my 2012 ram, I didn't overbuy. It was a bighorn.

I traded it in for a 2016 charger scat pack...and it was a custom order to my taste ( just got a sunroof and driver confidence package), and it's perfect.

It really comes down to what the dealer had on the lot. They will either have a bare bones cheap express, or a full blown Laramie edition. Half the time, dealers don't have exactly what you want so it's tough.

Overall for me, I didn't overbuy.

Former owner of a 2012 Ram 1500...and future owner of a Ram 1500

Copperhead17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All the cars and my truck have been on the lot have not ordered them so take what you can get, the truck has the most options of all and I use most of them. My challenger is light on the options would like to have it more like my truck.
The dealer is more willing to deal on a lot purchase than one you order in, so you can get more options for a better price.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Now my Titan sat on the lot because no one was foolish enough to pay THAT kind of money lol. For me since it was a business purchase it didn't involve me writing out any checks. All of that was handled via my accountant and my lawyer. For my BigHorn I only wanted a 5.7 Hemi 4x4 as the rest I could readily add later.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Now my Titan sat on the lot because no one was foolish enough to pay THAT kind of money lol. For me since it was a business purchase it didn't involve me writing out any checks. All of that was handled via my accountant and my lawyer. For my BigHorn I only wanted a 5.7 Hemi 4x4 as the rest I could readily add later.

What kind of titan?

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a big horn and use all the options I have. Part of me wishes I would have went express and built up, probably easier than trying to convert all this chrome to color matched... what a pain. Cant vinyl wrap because there isnt a vinyl color to match max steel, cant powdercoat that color either.

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For my trucks I like to buy them used with low mileage. I obviously can only get whatever package was picked by the original owner. But I look at it like this, I'm buying it for a lot less than the sticker price and I can then pay it off quickly, and do all the additions that I really want. Of course a lot of that is limited but if your not in a hurry you can get exactly, or very close to what you want. My 12 Outdoorsman is everything I wanted and more. I would never have paid for navigation, the power sliding rear window, Alpine sound, remote start, electric pedals, etc., but otherwise the truck was almost exactly what I was looking for. Plus buying it at 3 years old and 36k miles I was able to put on a lift, wheels and tires, cap, headers, custom exhaust, and a tuner next month, and still haven't paid what the original buyer did. Works for me.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My bighorn is imo overloaded, but I buy from dealer stock. Wife's Cherokee limited has everything. She enjoys it. Keep in mind, I was thrilled when I finally bought a vehicle with AC and am/fm radio back in the eighties.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I wanted leather and AC seats, so that immediately put me into a Laramie at the minimum.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My Titan was an LE version that I only added a 6" lift and new wheels/tires to. The funny part is that at the time I had a brand new with less then 100 miles Frontier. I purchased the Frontier so my wife would have 4x4 to always be able to make it to the hospital. But whenever it snowed, they sent a truck to pick her up so it just sat until I sold it and purchased her a minivan.

Father Of Four

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had 2 rcsb express 2wd with the hemi, it's got everything I want, fog lights, body color bumpers, cloth seats, and reasonable price. The only options I wish I had was handsfree bluetooth and a limited slip diff. I'm not a fan of leather, don't care too much for a high end stereo, or parking sensors, or radio that plays DVDs

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got a big horn and use all the options I have. Part of me wishes I would have went express and built up, probably easier than trying to convert all this chrome to color matched... what a pain. Cant vinyl wrap because there isnt a vinyl color to match max steel, cant powdercoat that color either.

Ty line-x they paint match

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^. That's a really good idea. :)

Father Of Four

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My wife has a 2016 Honda Accord Touring edition, and that thing is loaded to the gills. She uses every function, but when I'm driving it I keep the sunroof closed, turn off the sensors and the cruise control function that slows down when within a certain number of feet of the car in front.

Now my Ram is an SLT and I've just added to it as I've wanted. The only Laramie I've had was a 2006 and it still didn't have the sunroof but I did enjoy the electronic sliding rear window, heated seats and heated steering wheel. I'm not a fan of leather, too damn hot in the summer, but they are easier to keep clean, so I don't miss the heated features as much any more.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my Express because it was sitting on the dealers lot with everything I wanted, projector headlights, LED tails, cloth seats and 5.7. I'd rather have cloth then leather, don't need power seats because I never move them. Has the 5.0 Radio which is fine for me.

The one thing I might add next time is 4x4. At the time I had 3 other vehicles (now 4) that are 4x4 if needed. But since the Express is my daily driver might be easier in the long run not to have to switch vehicles just because of a snow storm.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I definitely buy low and add as I please. Makes it more fun for me and changes things up as I own it. I don't have the best reputation when it comes to holding onto vehicles.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I overbuy...I'll admit it.

I like to have all the amenities...whether I use them or not.

Then...to top it all off...I add things on! I went on a spending spree on the Ram when I bought it a month ago. Amazon is just finishing delivery of the final $700 or so...new speakers, Lock'er Down console safe...Lots of extra items.

I'm done though...other than a few small things. Less than 1000 miles on her and she's just like I want it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I overbuy...I'll admit it.

I like to have all the amenities...whether I use them or not.

Then...to top it all off...I add things on! I went on a spending spree on the Ram when I bought it a month ago. Amazon is just finishing delivery of the final $700 or so...new speakers, Lock'er Down console safe...Lots of extra items.

I'm done though...other than a few small things. Less than 1000 miles on her and she's just like I want it.

nothing wrong with splurging! enjoy!