Dealer added accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redrik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I purchased my ram new about two months ago. They had the price listed online and when I get there they had almost $3000 in added accessories. Bedliner and side steps I can understand. But they also had tint for 399, door edge guards 149, door handle guards 149, pin stripe 199, lifetime warranty for pin stripe 199.
The one that got me was the door edge guards. I got an express so these don't even apply to the textured handles but they still have them listed on the price.
I emailed him twice to ask about this and he said he was checking in on it so when I went for an oil change I asked him again and they said I got such a good deal there was nothing they could do.
How are they able to add something to the window sticker and add to the price if it isn't even added to the vehicle?

xxAGAVExx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ask for them to take it off, when I did they dropped the add ons price in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Add on

I asked same question about the over priced sport hood..Said i didnt want it so they told me it was free..

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, you don't have to actually buy dealer added stuff. Either they take it off, or you'll get it free/cheap.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since he already purchased it, nothing much he can do except never go back there or give the dealer poor reviews. I don't think he has much leverage.

Personally, when I walk in a dealer and find just about all stock is accessorized, I walk out. I think there have been enough folks doing that around here that its rare to see more than one or two vehicles in stock with the cash cow accessories.

Now if they charged him for something not delivered.....

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they charged for something that wasnt delivered i would contact the BBB.

If its something you dont want, but was on it and you signed you are SOL.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sorry dude, you bought it. Your time to negotiate is before you sign on the line. Chalk it up to a learning experience and you will never pay for another add on in the future. Can't tell you how many times I've been leaving a dealership because I told them I didn't want their stupid add ons and to take them off and the sales person would come running to stop me from leaving.

One time buying an Infiniti I told them no deal and was driving home and I guess they thought it was a ploy and five minutes into the drive home they called the mobile and told me to come back.

Do your research, determine what is fair for both sides and stick to it. Dealer add ons are a profit bomb for STEALERSHIPS.

OP
OP
R

Redrik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I might not have explained that well. The overall deal I got was right where I wanted to be going in. I had gone to a couple dealers already and they offered 1000 more for the trade in right off the bat. Once they added the 3000 to the price i essentially got all of that for free and about another 1000 off.
But my question is one of the things listed was the door handle guards that is meant for painted door handles where mine has black textured and does not apply. Yet it was still added to the price.
I'm not terribly upset about it I just thought they would make it right somehow.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you paid for something that isn't there, go fight for it.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they listed door handles in the pricing and did not deliver, you can raise a stink about it, with BB small claims whatever. They should at least refund the price listed for the door handle guards (if not listed separately then the catalog price)

If you didn't want them anyway I wouldn't bother.

They probably have a "form letter" type package description and don't tailor it for specific vehicles. There may be text in the form "as applicable" in the fine print. They may run into this mistake often and thats the pat answer they give, especially after 3 months and the books have been reconciled.

You may just want to give it one more try and say the part is listed, you paid for it (regardless of deal) you want a refund. Or just let it go and chalk it up to one of those whoops moments, oh well :) .