Drove an 8 sod ram yesterday...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilzilla2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I drove my gf's 2014 big horn with the 8spd yesterday and I might be the only person on here but Jesus I did not like it. It feels too jerky and imo 2nd and 3rd go by so quick they seem pointless. Makes me appreciate my 6spd much more

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drove one too and wasn't impressed, but I've never been one to need the latest and greatest stuff. I'm happy with the 6 speed and 3:55 gears.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
same. did not like the 8 speed. too much hunting for gears.

Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't had the chance to drive one yet, but I honestly don't see how much better it can be. Seeing as how I love my 6 speed that is.

Boulevardvette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drove a v6 with the 8 speed before buying the hemi with 6 speed and 3.55s. I know it was just a v6 but I was impressed how it kept the engine in its power band. Dealer didnt even have any 8 speed hemi's at the time (summer 2013) or I probably would have bought one.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I drove a v6 with the 8 speed before buying the hemi with 6 speed and 3.55s. I know it was just a v6 but I was impressed how it kept the engine in its power band. Dealer didnt even have any 8 speed hemi's at the time (summer 2013) or I probably would have bought one.

The pentastar packs a big punch for its displacement, and with the transmission it shines. As far as not liking the 8 speed compared to the 6 speed I don't agree with previous posters. I think they're awesome, they shift smoothly, get you better mpg's and keep you in the power better. I drove a 6 speed hemi for a few months (with 3.21) and I much preferred the 8 speed in my pentastar and now my ecodiesel.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
love my 8 speed. it is kinda rough at first but once it learns and adapts to how you drive it's completely different. the first few gears still go by pretty quick but it's much smoother and those gears are really nice to have while towing

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
8 speed is probably the better tranny, but I'm just saying I don't feel like I'm suffering with the 6 speed at all.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i hate smooth shifting thats a sign of a weak transmission (or just ****** software which seems to be a problem in chrysler) but as ive always driven 6spd trucks i am extremely biased..never drove an 8 spd to tell the truth but the idea of two extra gears and an extra clutch make me question its longevity. it will either make it last longer or create more problems but we'll just have to see in time..none the less dont try to sell me on smooth shifting i want the tires to chirp when i shift haha

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
L

lilzilla2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not doubting its a better transmission and I'll jump in it again after it gets miles on it but right now it's just not my cup of tea. Really makes me happy I didn't get the R/t with the 8spd or i think the one here came with one

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I'm a little on the other side of the fence. I think my 6spd is a bit rough, at the low end anyway. Especially when accelerating lightly, it seems to either shift too soon and bog somewhat or shift too late and rev the engine in the early gears. I have a 25MPH speed limit in my subdivision so there's no need for rapid acceleration, so I encounter that quite often. I'm not saying it's an issue but I expected the truck to be a bit more well-behaved. Never drove the 8spd so I can't compare them.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love my 6 speed. I'm sure the 8 is a better transmission all around but the 6 speed isn't too shabby. Maybe its because I drive a Ford work van 5 days a week and those have the dumbest transmission I've ever seen. It's almost never in the right gear.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I love my 6 speed. I'm sure the 8 is a better transmission all around but the 6 speed isn't too shabby. Maybe its because I drive a Ford work van 5 days a week and those have the dumbest transmission I've ever seen. It's almost never in the right gear.

What model/year is it? I drive a 96 e-350 every day and it's 100% tight and right. Kind of goes to show how much personal opinion and perception plays into these discussions.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What model/year is it? I drive a 96 e-350 every day and it's 100% tight and right. Kind of goes to show how much personal opinion and perception plays into these discussions.
Its a 2005 e250 with118000 miles. Its not that its bad throughout all 4 gears its just the 1-2 shift. It seems to never in 1st when I need it to be. It jumps to 2nd way too soon. Perfect example is when I have to pull out of a road/driveway quickly. Instead of holding 1st longer like every other vehicle I've driven, it shifts to 2nd while I'm still turning unless its floored. I thought something was wrong with it a few months ago so I brought it to be looked at and was told "that's how those trannys are." I've driven other Ford vans of that vintage as well and theyre virtually the same. Maybe in 96 they had different shift points or it could just be me. All I know is I don't have this problem in my Ram.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
It's like discussions of the various cab configurations. Everyone has opinions, which is great. I'd love to drive the 8spd for a while and see how it works, but at the same time I don't feel slighted that I 'only' have the 6 speed. Cripes, one of the cars I drove in high school was a 68 Cutlass with a 2 speed powerglide. I guess if I think about it, I've had 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 speed autos over the years. All of them managed to move the vehicle forward as designed, so it's all good to me.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,

The point is that just because there is now an 8 speed it did not turn the 6 speed into a royal piece of crud. If that were the case then the 8 speed is also an outdated cluncky tranny because there is now a nine speed, in cars anyway. I have a 6 speed and I like it fine. The truck is not suffering from power wasting shifts, I mean the thing has 395 hp and 410 ft lb of torque! How much trouble can it have at 25 mph? Also they are both "learning transmissions" so they DO take a little time to adapt to the driver style.
I don't think either one is a bad tranny, more gears does = smoother shifting just by nature of closer gear ratios between gears. But that six speed can raise the nose of my pickup under hard acceleration in just about any situation. No it DOES NOT pop wheelies but it definitely lifts the nose. I would not trade my truck off because of the eight speed, but by the same token I would not brush off a truck the next time I AM ready to buy because of the eight speed. The 6 speed is proven, the eight speed is smoother, either one does the job well and is effective. I remember not so long ago when 3 speeds was the norm. We have definitely come a long way since those trannies.
What ever you have enjoy it as they are both in great trucks!!

preachp

OP
OP
L

lilzilla2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my 6spd will adapt to my driving? How long does that take? I have 2700 miles on the truck

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't like transmissions in a truck without a dipstick....